Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i grew up camping with my parents. then actually fulltimed following construction jobs with my 1st husband. years later, had a motorhome for a few years. finally got back into rv'ing about 3 years ago. we now have an older 5th wheel and a 3/4 hd chevy. however, our dream unit is toooooooooooo big for a pickup. having been semi-drivers for years, we are well aware of how weight can affect vehicle handling and our safety. mdt's are too expensive when all our personal issues are taken into consideration. So with our comfort zone with hdt's already established, here we are.

thank you for all the advice, humor, and ideas all of you have already sent our way.

shiney side up to all of you.

David: I've had a couple of private e-mails with Mac and I'm bound and determined to get Volvo to send a rep to the rally (s). May not make it this year either but it wont be for the lack of trying.

Paint your wagon and come along

98 Volvo, VNL 610

01 Alfa Ideal, 38'6"

South Dakota plates

SKP # 68396

Hello Dan

I have been lurking for severial months.I plan on purchasing a truck when I find one that fits my specs.This forum answers alot of questions that Ihave had,much easier than stopping measuring trucks that are parked.I have approx.1-2 years till I RETIRE AFTER 30 so that gives me some lead time for the truck project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan & all other helpful people - -

I've been lurking off & on for a couple of years & really appreciate all the good info that's been posted. We've been RV'n for 6 or so years - until an 18 wheeler totaled our KOTR last summer. No damage to our F350 nor injuries, but it's possible an HDT might have helped control the situation better. Plan to invest (?) in another 5th wheel in the future though, but probably do the HDT thing 1st.

Will have some questions later - got to catch up on postings first of all.

We are full-timers from farm/ranch background who still help out for a couple of months at harvest time so I have a little Class 8 experience hauling a grain trailer on back roads.Met Bill Ramsey at Quartzsite in January and he turned me on to lurking on this site - met quite a few of you guys at the impromptu HDT gathering out at Scadden Wash. Presently pull a 37' 5er with a crew cab F550 with 6 litre and it pulls OK but I worry about the "Whoa". Can't thank you folks enough for all the great information and discussion and we are seriously thinking of a Volvo 770 after comparing to T2000 and Pete 387. Hope to catch up to those great folks we met and others we haven't somewhere down the road.

I have actually used the site to get the proper info to purchase a 96 volvo 610, and made the purchase. We have now traveled over 2k miles to Texas and were glad to have the HDT. Since then I have lurked mainly because we are still getting our sea legs. I am looking for a reputable service center to track an exhaust leak. We are in Amarillo, Tx. Thanks again everyone. We have a 37' new horizons 5 slider and love it.

Guest Bob Lemke

Count me too, even though I did post one tonight asking members how high they have geared their rigs for good fuel mileage. With a GCVW of less than 30,000 lbs and running 500+hp, 1850 lb/ft, I'm hoping that some of you have geared high for mileage and what are your results? I'm guessing at 1300 rpms you can maintain 60 mph even on 4% grades.

• 3 weeks later...

This discussion had gotten buried almost two pages back, so I thought I would bring it back on top of the pile to see whether any new lurkers had come online in the past 3 weeks.

I think this roster of lurkers has had the beneficial effect of prompting some long time lurkers to finally join in our discussions. Thanks for joining us vocally, and for the silent lurkers, I'm glad you are enjoying our discussions.

For those lurkers who have not already done so, please let us know that you are here and what brings you here with a single introduction. And then you can go back to lurking again. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,

Dan

Dieseldan

1999 40' Travel Supreme RLTSODB Two Bedroom 5th Wheel. TrailAir hitch

1998 Volvo VNL770, 460HP Cummins N14 Plus, 13 speed manual, 245" wheelbase, tandems, Holland hitch, Work Station, TV/DVD, Microwave, Fridge, 3,000 W Inverter, Sink, PTO hydraulic kit - Retired USAF Lt Col

"If it wasn't for people like that, people like us wouldn't look so good."

Bob here... Mackenzie, BC.... about 150 miles south of Mile 0 Alaska Highway. I've been looking at an HDT to piggyback my Unimog as previously seen in this forum. I've been to Northwest Mogfest in Oregon and talked with the owner of the blue Freightliner. My reasons are twofold, one to actually use the truck as a motorhome or portable bunkbed, and to carry the Unimog to different venues and offroad areas. Driving a mog at 40-50 mph is a nice relaxed way to see the world, but I can't see my self doing much of that. Not counting the wear and tear on the drive train.... So, lurking and learning.....

• 7 months later...

Good site and too bad I didnt see this topic before I made my lurking presence known. Oh well, But I have an interest in moving from a diesel pusher MH to a Diesel puller truck with all that engine in front of you, not to mention the larger fiver Id like to have to full time in. Its just a whim at the moment..but one that has caught my fancy and when the time comes, I want to be as informed as possible. Thanks

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

Hi- this is the first time I've run across this thread or I would have replied sooner. I've been a regular lurker here for a year or so, watching, listening and learning a lot from all of you. We have about 8 years untill retirement and have lined up a 2006 volvo to purchase when it's retired in about 5 years from a trucking company, and the driver is a close friend. So in the meantime I'm taking in all the info I can while I wait. We presently have a 34ft toy hauler and probobly will want bigger later. The Hdt looks like the way to go for me, right now anyway. Thanks for all the great info!

2016 Harley Ultra Classic Limited

2015 Alpine 3620fl

2004 Volvo 670, SOLD

1977 GMC shortbox stepside ( My "antique" truck)

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500

http://s301.photobucket.com/home/armys2/indexPics

I lurk daily and it's my pass time. My son and family are full timers and HDT owners. As he and family have gotten more into it so have I. They were here over Thamksgiving and saw my first HDT and we did several day of work on it. I have beem a RV'er for twenty five years so know the attraction .

Guest Gargoyle

I've been lurking for about a year, trying to learn all I can about HDT's. I plan to buy a volvo within the next 2 years and do some of the interior conversion myself and let the pros do the axle and bed. Retirement is 3 years away and I want to be ready when the time comes.

Thanks for all the great info.

Been lurking for about a year now,Attended HDT rally in whicita this fall,talked to several wonderfull people,came home and purchased 2001 T2000 which we plan to spend the next several months setting up for our own personnel needs,after which we plan to purchase our 5ver, leaning at this point towards mobile suites by double tree,or an escalade by KZ.read the forum daily looking for ideas on how to set up our bed and the differnt things folks have found usefull for their own trucks,any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated as well as any comments or opinions on the trailers we are thinking about,thanks for the oppertunity to post,Bill&Carol

Hi All,I Have been lurking here and the MDT site for about a year and a half and still not sure if I should or should't ??? not the fault of you guys, you have really put a lot of info out there!!!!!!!!!OUTSTANDING Site,but I have a lot of other considerations, parking,licence,ECT. as do others, I am sure,anyway thanks For all the Info. and keep it coming !!!!!!! ChuckR

Meshan

take a look at my webshot, and it will show you how i set my truck for the harley and golf cart the put the 5th wheel plate.If there is anything that i can help you with let me know.

These Colors Don't Run

If You Can Dream It, You Can Do It!

2001 T600 kw 500 hp 13speed

2005 Newmar 38 ft Mo.Aire

2005 Harley

2006 golf cart

and More Time Than Money

http://community.webshots.com/album/556335848cgxnVz

Retired USAF (1987) still working for the Fed for a few more years, RVing only since 2003, but completely hooked. Not sure how long I have been "lurking" the forums as a whole now... but since we decided to retire and fulltime (not for 4 years yet tho icon_frown.gif), a few months ago, I can be found frequently reading the HDT and MDT forums more everyday.. torn between a Pete 335 and a Volvo 610 right now with MDT FL still in the running. My brother-in-law is a long time OTR trucker and drives a Volvo for one of the chicken haulers so I have a built-in consultant for the Volvo...

Anyway, I have gotten VOLUMES of information from this and the MDT forum, thanks one and all for that...

Bill and Jennifer
'13 Ford F150 EcoBoost (we no longer pull the DRV)

'13 Victory Cross Country (2 Wheels)
'10 Can Am Spyder (3 Wheels)
'10 XLR 25MKV (toy hauler)
'10 DRV MS 36RSSB3 (Home)