Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Orange, there are no stupid questions.  Just spend some time looking in the Resource Guide before asking.  Lots of answers to questions you forgot to ask.

Oh yeah, welcome.

thanks for the welcome. the guide is awesome! I found a truck that's already converted and titled as an RV. Has the bed I want so, I hope, all I'll be looking to do is some minor upgrades. One question I have and will probably start a new thread is about a good source for salvage parts. The boss wants the work station in the sleeper and the truck currently does not have it. I'm on a mission to find the parts and haven't had much luck yet.

Andy 

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, Orange300 said:

thanks for the welcome. the guide is awesome! I found a truck that's already converted and titled as an RV. Has the bed I want so, I hope, all I'll be looking to do is some minor upgrades. One question I have and will probably start a new thread is about a good source for salvage parts. The boss wants the work station in the sleeper and the truck currently does not have it. I'm on a mission to find the parts and haven't had much luck yet.

Andy 

That is great finding a truck all ready set up for our use, I also was lucky to find ours with the Smart, plus quite a few folks here help convince me it was a good truck and price. The help you get here is priceless, good luck on your drive home and try your best to keep that grin off you face coming home :D

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 3/3/2020 at 9:12 AM, Orange300 said:

Mark,

Yes, I've lived in Colorado Springs all my life. Are in in CO?

Andy 

I'm in Woodland Park a lot in the summer. Danielle spends the summer there. You need to stop in when you can....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On 3/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, Orange300 said:

Al,

I think we'll try to make a rally eventually. We'll be in Fla. during the national this year, might be able to stop in for a day or two. We're in Colorado and will be passing right by it. I have a truck now, or will this weekend. I narrowed my search down to a 730 and found a few nice options to build but when Tom Macklin listed his truck, I had to jump on it. I'm flying out Saturday to pick it up. 

Andy

Some of us will be there at the start of April thru the end of the month, stop by and ask any questions you like.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

9 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Some of us will be there at the start of April thru the end of the month, stop by and ask any questions you like.

You'll get to play in the snow a little bit in April 

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

• 3 weeks later...

Great to be part of this group.  Julia and I just built our own Tiny House on Wheels on a gooseneck frame (some pictures in our profile), bought a 2018 VNL 780 converted as an HDT, sold our house, and are going full time at the end of May.  Excited to meet many of you out there on the road.

2019 Tiny House on Wheels

2018 Volvo 780

2016 Electric Smart

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a wealth of knowledge and experience here, along with plenty of advice on how to spend more money.😉

I'm sure some of us would like to hear about how you built your trailer.  Basic construction methods, materials, tank sizes, and how you decided on placements to keep safe weights and balance. Did you have a target weight, and how close did you come to that in the end?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 3/24/2020 at 10:41 PM, mb36912 said:

Welcome to the forum!!  I hope travel has loosened up and parks and campgrounds have opened back up by then.  

We do as well..  However, we will have to get on the move at the end of May as that is when our House closes so we are out.  Have already identified a couple of viable spots for us to park it if we have to wait it out.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:46 AM, hone eagle said:

interested in hearing your impressions of the electric smart after a year or so.Thats all they sell now.

We actually had it for almost a year now and we love it.  Drive great, is super comfortable.  It certainly is not for long trips, but it is great to go to the store, restaurant, etc.  I ordered a ski rack for it, so we can get to the mountain when needed.  We charge it off the solar panels off the roof, so the cost is right.  Ours is a 451 and so far so good.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, rickeieio said:

Welcome to the forum.  You'll find a wealth of knowledge and experience here, along with plenty of advice on how to spend more money.😉

I'm sure some of us would like to hear about how you built your trailer.  Basic construction methods, materials, tank sizes, and how you decided on placements to keep safe weights and balance. Did you have a target weight, and how close did you come to that in the end?

Thank you.  Well, I can go on for hours about this....  In short, we did a lot of planning and in the end it turned out just as we wanted.  Weight is about 20K.  All metal framing with light weight sheathing. Saved about 3,000 lbs that way over conventional and it is a lot more rigid.  But we spent that back in using teak for the siding, decking, and the floor.  We have a 50 gallon fresh tank and 40 gray.  No black.  We also have an extra fresh tank on the volvo.   You can see a lot more details on www.TinyLivingLivingLarge.com or www.instagram.com/tinylivinglivinglarge.

Here is also a video from our housewarming party - 

It's been about five years since I have been in here. My world was shattered by the loss of my wife Susan to cancer. We dated in high school and got married soon after we graduated. We were married for 39 wonderful years.

I was blessed to find love again, a woman that lost her husband of 30 years. Donna my new wife helped me rise up from the ashes. 

So much has changed I never saw it coming. Love the people in your life, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Show your love. Because when I lost Sue, I looked at this big truck and fifth wheel and said (what the hell good Is this)  I had no one to share it with, it was just stuff.

Donna saved me in so many ways. Two broken people can fix each other. We're both enjoying the truck and camper. Donna did not replace Sue, she just picked up where Sue left off.

None of this was easy I lived in some very dark times. I slept in the cemetery in my car. Alone sucks.

So that's where I have been for five years.

Take it to the limit one more time!

27 minutes ago, Max Speed said:

It's been about five years since I have been in here. My world was shattered by the loss of my wife Susan to cancer. We dated in high school and got married soon after we graduated. We were married for 39 wonderful years.

I was blessed to find love again, a woman that lost her husband of 30 years. Donna my new wife helped me rise up from the ashes. 

So much has changed I never saw it coming. Love the people in your life, because tomorrow is not guaranteed. Show your love. Because when I lost Sue, I looked at this big truck and fifth wheel and said (what the hell good Is this)  I had no one to share it with, it was just stuff.

Donna saved me in so many ways. Two broken people can fix each other. We're both enjoying the truck and camper. Donna did not replace Sue, she just picked up where Sue left off.

None of this was easy I lived in some very dark times. I slept in the cemetery in my car. Alone sucks.

So that's where I have been for five years.

Congratulations.  My wife and I(married 42 years, me 19/her 21 when married) both read your story and appreciate you sharing it.  So wonderful to hear that there is life after calamity.  I guess its true that life is about the journey.  Good that you are out of the funk.

Marcel

Welcome back.  You were missed.  I too dated my wife in high school.  We married in 1974, I was 20, she 19.  Our parents didn't think it would last.  We hope to prove them wrong.

My mom and step-dad were in the same situation as you and Donna.  We're glad they found each other.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the add. I just joined the forum and already have learned so much. I am a researcher. I research everything. Now I am researching HDT's. So any input would be awesome. We have a 2019 Riverstone 39FK that we FT in and for safety reasons, I am wanting to move to an HDT. I have already been in the resource section and found answers to many of my questions. Right now we are in Alabama riding this thing out. Once we get over this hump, we will move back to Texas for work. Then after that, who knows. 

Woodrow

2018 Ram 3500 DRW 

2019 Riverstone 39FK

Full Timers for a year and a half

Domiciled in FL 

Welcome Woodrow

We are three years into our HDT, we are thankful for the safety and convenience it provides.  Great to add 200 gallons at a truck stop and not need fuel for 1500+ miles.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

4 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Welcome Woodrow

We are three years into our HDT, we are thankful for the safety and convenience it provides.  Great to add 200 gallons at a truck stop and not need fuel for 1500+ miles.

Has it been that long already?   It seems like yesterday that we met y'all at a little park outside Hot Springs!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

7 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Has it been that long already?   It seems like yesterday that we met y'all at a little park outside Hot Springs!

It has, my wife and I are still so glad you shared with us the better option of the HDT.

Tell Alie we said hi, stay well, and THANKS👍 again.😁   

Cloud Nine RV park LLC.

We will forever remember where we were when we saw the "light", I mean Heavy Duty Truck.🚛

Edited by Parrformance
Added quip

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Welcome Woodrow, you have come to the right place for your research and when all this virus stuff settles down try to attend one of the fabulous rallies held to learn even more. The first one I attended I was even able to have my new ET hitch installed. Also nice to see another River Stone owner joining the ranks. 

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Hey dblr, another Riverstone, YAY!! LOL. Some of my research, how long are you over all and how long is your HDT. Mid, long or left tandem? Don't know if you have any pictures, I will look in your profile. The state of FL says 65'. Well, I am 68' now with my Ram 3500. Then I have to figure out if I want to buy a used truck and have it converted or find one that is already converted. Single it vs. not singling. You know the tough choices..lol Yes, I will have to check out a rally and get the mojo flowing.. I know this, I am excited about it..

2018 Ram 3500 DRW 

2019 Riverstone 39FK

Domiciled in FL 

We are still tandem and we were lucky and found a truck already to go WITH the Smart car, length is right around 65' and change, we really like the River Stone and have been involved with them from almost the start, for the money I felt it was a good unit and fits our needs right now. They have come out with a lot of new floorplans since we bought and we even helped them with the design when they were doing the front kitchen. Look into joining the Forest River Owners Group, I know they are planning a rally in Florida for Sept.

https://forestriverfrog.com/

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Cool, actually, I think I have seen your setup. Uh, in the Riverstone RV group on FB. LOL I think I am part of that. We will probably be in Texas working, hopefully. 

2018 Ram 3500 DRW 

2019 Riverstone 39FK

Domiciled in FL