Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

Met a couple a week ago, right after he dropped off his 5th wheel rig and their smart car, and was shutting down his Western Star rig, OH that's Jim Stockman, and I had to go say HI.  See I spent years driving commercially and always thought, what better way to travel, then in a big rig.

Well now I see it's being done and some even are set up hauling their jeep as well.  Now even my wife's attention has been peaked.  :)

Presently we live full time and travel full time in our Grand Design 375RES hauled by our 2018 GMC 1ton dully, diesel of course.  

At the present time, we're here to learn as we've got no clue what it's going to take in the way of $$ to make such a transition happen.

Looking forward to learn.  :) 

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I decided to NOT spend 80,000 on a new Ram and buy a HDT.  We pull a 2019 Grand Design 397TH with a Polaris RZR in the back, probably 19,000 pounds.  My 06 ram pulls it but I have to be careful where I take it, big hills heat it up.  Braking sucks.  Im in the research stage for a HDT that I can put a smart car on.  Early in my endeavor I'm swaying toward a Volvo but I really don't know yet.  So, im here to learn.

thanks

Edited by Steve Rude
Misspelled

4 minutes ago, Steve Rude said:

Hello, I decided to NOT spend 80,000 on a new Ram and but a HDT.  We pull a 2019 Grand Design 397TH with a Polaris RZR in the back, probably 19,000 pounds.  My 06 ram pulls it but I have to be careful where I take it, big hills heat it up.  Braking sucks.  Im in the research stage for a HDT that I can put a smart car on.  Early in my endeavor I'm swaying toward a Volvo but I really don't know yet.  So, im here to learn.

thanks

Can also consider an MDT.  I have been to HDT rallys, have a robust CC Dually with lots of power and can pull any trailer I own(Newmar Kountry Aire at 20K#+) but after considering the HDT and how that would fit into my circumstances, I was able to find a gently used IH 4700LP from an SKP near me.  It has fit our needs very well and we can use it for running around when the coach is parked.  It is shorter than my CC but also has a 4 doors and this one has an 8.7L with an Allison.  We like it  just dont use it enough, which is 1 of the criterias we had.  A Class 8 tractor sitting in the yard wasnt conducive to what we wanted.

Marcel

Anything you do will involve compromises.  Weigh your options and decide what's best for you. We bought an older Volvo (2001) in 2010, and downsized my work truck to a half ton.  We only put about 7k miles/yr on the big truck, so in the end, I have plenty of truck for the camper (21k lb.) and a comfy daily driver. All for le$$ than a dually, even factoring in the smart.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Try to get to one of the rallies to see some trucks up close and personal and talk to the owners.  See what they like and dislike about their set ups.  It can definitely help you in the long run.  Plus they are fun events with a good group of people.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

4 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Try to get to one of the rallies to see some trucks up close and personal and talk to the owners.  See what they like and dislike about their set ups.  It can definitely help you in the long run.  Plus they are fun events with a good group of people.

2X Chad and Rick

Welcome Steve

We were in your position a few years ago and used this forum as well as the following resources to make our decision:

Have fun reading and don't be afraid to ask questions, this forum is a wealth of knowledge

Bob

Edited by Radar274

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

Been lurking for a little while now!  LOL

We are going fulltime next year and currently looking at a Luxe or DRV (Luxe is definitely winning right now).  Looking at HDT/MDT/F450 Chassis Cab so we are open minded.

We travel with two 100 lbs Labs so getting in and out of a 2 door HDT could be a limiting factor.   

I'm also contacting our local provincial regulators (we currently live in Saskatchewan, Canada) about registering a HDT as a motorhome and therefore not needing a Class 1 licence as all those rules recently changed in Canada and it is a long process and very expensive to get a Class 1 licence now.  There is also no such thing as a Non-CDL type license so all the typical Class 1 rules would kick in (Annual inspections, log book,  weight stations, etc)

Dan,

This from personal experience.  if the truck comes from the US, it can't have ANY modifications.  It has to conform to Canadian standards and most do.  That info is on the door post.  Pay taxes at the border and then the truck has to  go thru 2 inspections, 1 federal and one provincial.  The Federal is quick, basically to make sure all the numbers are correct.  The Provincial goes thru the truck Mechanically, ie tires have to have at least 50% tread.

After that, in AB or BC it got registered as a 'truck', not a motorhome.

My truck is a Volvo 730, the prior truck was an IH 470, DT 530 with an Allison.  With my 22k lb trailer, it was painful going up a hill plus it had hydraulic brakes and an exhaust brake only.  The truck cab was old tech, noisy, wind noise from the mirrors was loud and the noise from under the floor was significant.  I tried everything to fix this but it didn't work.

Re licensing, not sure about Sask but in AB all that is needed is a class 5 plus an air endorsement, here in BC because the whole rig is over 8600 kg's and the truck is air and the trailer is electric brakes a class 1 is required.

Can't help you re the dogs but others here may.

Annual inspections, yes, 160$, log books and weigh scales no to both.

Getting a CDL isn't the worst thing in the world, it makes you a better educated driver, hence safer if you practice what you have been taught.

Dan

For the dogs something like this might be the answer. https://www.petloader.com/ 
It would store in the side box.  My dog likes to sit on the front edge of the bed so I had to find a bunk restraint to stop him falling on the floor every time I lifted on the throttle.  
Also the licensing rules are provincial and you may or may not require a license upgrade in your province I don’t know.  But I second Roger’s suggestion of getting some training.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

We use a Pet loader (petloader.com) to get our 2 100lb dogs into the sleeper, it stores in the compartment behind the passengers door.  There are pluses and minuses for each truck class.  We hauled a 3 horse trailer with living quarters and a 38' DRV with our F series 6 speed manual transmission for years.   We had a few pucker moments, one as we descended down a 5 mile 6% grade and lost our brakes.  There isn't a better feeling than being able to STOP! 

At the end of the day, make sure the truck you choose.... will be wagging it's tail instead of the tail wagging the dog.😀

Good Luck

Bob

Bob&Kay
2012 VNL730 I Shift D13 2.47 ratio
2018 Mobile Suites 40 kssb4

9 hours ago, rdickinson said:

Dan,

This from personal experience.  if the truck comes from the US, it can't have ANY modifications.  It has to conform to Canadian standards and most do.  That info is on the door post.  Pay taxes at the border and then the truck has to  go thru 2 inspections, 1 federal and one provincial.  The Federal is quick, basically to make sure all the numbers are correct.  The Provincial goes thru the truck Mechanically, ie tires have to have at least 50% tread.

After that, in AB or BC it got registered as a 'truck', not a motorhome.

My truck is a Volvo 730, the prior truck was an IH 470, DT 530 with an Allison.  With my 22k lb trailer, it was painful going up a hill plus it had hydraulic brakes and an exhaust brake only.  The truck cab was old tech, noisy, wind noise from the mirrors was loud and the noise from under the floor was significant.  I tried everything to fix this but it didn't work.

Re licensing, not sure about Sask but in AB all that is needed is a class 5 plus an air endorsement, here in BC because the whole rig is over 8600 kg's and the truck is air and the trailer is electric brakes a class 1 is required.

Can't help you re the dogs but others here may.

Annual inspections, yes, 160$, log books and weigh scales no to both.

Getting a CDL isn't the worst thing in the world, it makes you a better educated driver, hence safer if you practice what you have been taught.

While I'm never against training and learning...however, with the new regulations that came into effect after the Humboldt crash, you now need 47 hrs of classroom lessons and 100+ hrs of behind the wheel training.  The closest training facility to where I live is 1 hour away! So the end cost of the training would be well over $2K if not closer to $4k and take several months to complete.   From my conversations with the regulators, to register a semi as a motorhome all the vehicle needs is a hardwired fridge, bed, and cooking facilities.  So any semi with a sleeper should require little to no mods to register as a motorhome.   Once registered as a motorhome I can drive it with my Class 5.  I will also require air endorsement as I already have my "G" endorsement for pulling over 26K GCVW.  I used to manage a Fab shop and still have connections there, so I would modify the bed after it is registered.  I have a call in to the hwy folks to confirm whether I can leave it as a 3 axle or not to register as a motorhome.   That said, since you can buy a tag axle motorhome (Newmar, Tiffin, etc) (3 alxe) and drive it with a Class 5 licence, I'm fairly confident this will not be a problem.

15 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I recall the name of the crash, can't remember specifics.  That would be Sask specific.

Good luck with it.

It was the crash that killed most of a hockey team when a "new" trucker blew past a rural stop sign and side swiped a bus.   These new regulations are actually being adopted across Canada in most provinces.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:51 AM, Radar274 said:

2X Chad and Rick

Welcome Steve

We were in your position a few years ago and used this forum as well as the following resources to make our decision:

Have fun reading and don't be afraid to ask questions, this forum is a wealth of knowledge

Bob

Also the Bruss’s website is very informative.  http://www.dmbruss.com/index.html

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 5:51 AM, Radar274 said:

2X Chad and Rick

Welcome Steve

Bob

Thank you Bob.

Hello everyone,

Been lurking couple months now and finally joined up.
    I’m in the search mode as we speak looking to purchase my HDT.Ive made up my mind it’s gonna be a Volvo but undecided between a 730 or 780.
We aren’t full timer’s yet but will be by August next year once youngest graduates and is off to college.Hopefully I won’t wear out my welcome on here with all the questions I’m about to hit you all up with 😁

It's Hammer Time,

welcome,

ask away.

I am so glad  Alie and Jim directed us to this site, my wife and I would never have been able to begin our HDT lifestyle without all of the knowledgeable ladies and gentleman here.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 10/31/2019 at 12:03 PM, Parrformance said:

It's Hammer Time,

welcome,

ask away.

I am so glad  Alie and Jim directed us to this site, my wife and I would never have been able to begin our HDT lifestyle without all of the knowledgeable ladies and gentleman here.

All we did is help you spend your money!  

Even while the Facebook groups have taken off and are more social, this forum and the HHRV Resource Guide that Mark Bruss put together have 99% of all the answers on how to put a truck together, get it properly licensed in your state etc.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We would have spent so much more had we not been led astray😄

A new one ton Dually would have been 3 to 4 times the cost.

We are still so thankful.

Did I mention on the way home from Arkansas where we met you my Dodge spit fifth gear off the sub shaft 50 miles from the house.

That made the HDT decision even easier.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...