Good Sam Extended Service plan — thumbs up? Down?

amarie1

I’m a newbie with a new to me Class C, 2017 Thor 29 FE. I’m a solo driver with 2 doggos, planning on long trips. 

I bought a sub to Good Sam roadside assistance. They’re also offering an Extended Service plan which covers repairs  for things that break after a deductible. To make a claim, have to show proof of regular maintenance and give a copy to the mechanic/service center when they call in for an authorization number. Sounds like health insurance. 

It sounds like a good idea for me  it covers the truck and the coach, and all appliances, generator etc  with expected exceptions  

thoughts? They want $45/mo based on my VIN and mileage  

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

I am not sure that you really need one, but it just depends. If you do then you should compare several other places. If you are thinking of an extended warranty, then I suggest America's RV Warranty, a commercial member as a good place to check. If you want road service, then I suggest you consider Escapees/Safe Ride which is what we have and it's low price is a benefit of your Escapees membership.

Also check Wholesale Warranties

And before you spend your money on any type of extended warranties, read this article about them from Escapes magazine. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks folks!

But no one w/Good Sam extended service plan here huh (or no one who's seen this thread).

I will check into the other recommended places.

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

I have had the Good Sam Extended Service Plan for 7 years and have used it 3 times. Each time it has saved me out of pocket expenses. For me, It is like insurance against major financial expenses. Some may disagree. It really is an individual choice. I will say that each time I have used it, there no problems getting service and parts covered. And each service establishment had good experiences with Good Sam.

We use the GS Extended service plan. We have over the years used about all of them and never had a service issue including the GS plan.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Before purchasing an extended service plan of any kind, take time to read the exclusions in the fine print.
This year I'm dropping the regular GS Roadside Assistance plan - $150. / year and I've never used it in over ten years.

Instead, I called my insurance agent and for $8.00 year and added roadside assistance to my auto insurance. 
(And discussed in detail the need for a flat-bed tow truck to handle the truck/camper combination.)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

On 7/11/2020 at 11:54 AM, amarie1 said:

Thanks folks!

But no one w/Good Sam extended service plan here huh (or no one who's seen this thread).

I will check into the other recommended places.

AM

We bought one when we bought our MH in '13 because it had been parked in a barn for 8 years unmoved. We were satisfied with the service, but we only had repairs performed at Camping World. They are under the same umbrella, so to speak.

If I had it to do again I would have bought the ESC from wholesalewarranties.com, but didn't know  about them at the time. Wholesalewarranties.com is an independent broker, as are the vast majority of  ESC's available. It doesn't cost to call them and discuss your needs. The man I spoke with was very pleasant and knowledgeable, he answered every question patiently to make sure I understood what he said.

Wound up I couldn't buy from them due to the vehicle age limit (15 yrs).

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961