Cassette Toilet cleaning..

JanKJ

Hi all,

After reading online about it, i come to the conclusion. The blue stuff smells and the pink stuff create alge, then what about this solution:

Waste tank use odorless Bleach, yes i know it can destroy rubber like the seal. But the bleach will be mixed with water and not near the seal, bleach should be fine with plastic and does kill bacteria... 

Flush tank use laundry detergent, since it mix well with bleach and creates a very nice scent similar to Fabric softner...

16 minutes ago, Customer1 said:

What are you wanting to accomplish and do you really mean a cassette like used in a popup?

I attached picture of cassette toilet...

I want to make it odorless, no smell of cleaning aids or poop... 😊

Just nice scents from the laundry detergent..

20200708_095502.png

8 minutes ago, JanKJ said:

I want to make it odorless, no smell of cleaning aids or poop... 😊

Just nice scents from the laundry detergent..

Good luck. It isn't like nobody has tried to find that answer. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Good luck. It isn't like nobody has tried to find that answer. 

Then what is the result, what should i expect if buying a van with toilet?

Will it smell of either cleaning aids or poop, is there no known way around this?

I have read glowing reports about Happy Camper, but never used it myself.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sold at WalMart too, got one there? If you cannot buy Happy Camper, try RidX liquid.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 minutes ago, JanKJ said:

Okay, they got Rid X Liquid here, is it good?

No unwanted smell of cleaning aid or poop? 😊

The RidX liquid says it has a citrus smell, missed that, sorry.

Does your toilet have a vent to the outside?  If so, it shouldn't smell as long as you use plenty of water when flushing solids - a bowlful.  Is the toilet a permanent fixture in the van or is it one that you take outside to a restroom and empty?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Does your toilet have a vent to the outside?  If so, it shouldn't smell as long as you use plenty of water when flushing solids - a bowlful.  Is the toilet a permanent fixture in the van or is it one that you take outside to a restroom and empty?

No...There is no vent...

You can take the cartridge out, not the toilet?

7 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The RidX liquid says it has a citrus smell, missed that, sorry.

Cassette or cartridge toilet like above lasts only around 2-3 days before they need to be empty, if they see action...

But i read online its to short for using Rid-X effective?

Thats why i suggested bleach above, since it works very fast and kill bacteria (odor). Since it dont touch the rubber seal in the toilet, it should be fine?

Edited by JanKJ

9 hours ago, JanKJ said:

Then what is the result, what should i expect if buying a van with toilet?Will it smell of either cleaning aids or poop, is there no known way around this?

Okay...I am in the Philippines?

I have no way of knowing what is available in the Philippines, but I can tell you cassette toilets have been in use for more than 50 years in the USA and have been well designed and improved over the years. You are most likely to not have any odors if you follow the instructions that come with it. Our first fully contained RV had a cassette toilet and we used the chemicals as recommended and never had a complaint, other than that we got very tired of the frequent need to empty it. That was back in 1974 and we owned it for 9 years. 

8 hours ago, JanKJ said:

Okay, they got Rid X Liquid here, is it good?

It should work as long as you buy the holding tank deodorizer. If you get the septic tank additive it probably will not.

7 hours ago, JanKJ said:

I can easy add fabric softner to the flush tank...

To what purpose? That does nothing for your toilet and those products do not claim to. It will waste money and may cause the thing to stop working properly. I do not understand why you don't want to just follow the directions for the toilet you are buying? Bleach will kill the natural bacteria and damage any septic system that you empty your cassette into. It will not prevent odor, much of which comes from what you are putting into the toilet. The additives that are designed for use in those cassette toilets do work, if you follow the directions. Laundry products will not. We used ours for 9 years with no significant odor problems but we also used what the manufacturer recommended. If you start adding other things you will likely have problems and there will be no factory support because you didn't follow directions. 

Okay...Thanks Kirk W... 😊

They dont seem to sell blue, green or pink products in the Philippines...

The only RidX is for septic tank, the ones who sell cassette toilet advice to use bleach and dishwashing soap...

Edited by JanKJ

Here's a link by a cassette toilet owner.  It says they add 1/2 c. distilled vinegar.

https://weretherussos.com/cassette-toilet-camping-toilet/

..... and a YouTube video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xir19OjqI

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

45 minutes ago, JanKJ said:

The only RidX is for septic tank, the ones who sell cassette toilet advice to use bleach and dishwashing soap...

You may get by using those if you can't get the right thing but it will probably have at least some odor when you dump the toilet. It doesn't take much to prevent odor when using one, but emptying is the fun part of the process. Since you have access to the internet, check with Amazon Market as there are many different chemicals available. 

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

You may get by using those if you can't get the right thing but it will probably have at least some odor when you dump the toilet. It doesn't take much to prevent odor when using one, but emptying is the fun part of the process. Since you have access to the internet, check with Amazon Market as there are many different chemicals available. 

Okay...Thanks

15 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I read online that Ridx works after 3-4 hours so it should have some effect, it also got citrus smell....

Seems like a much better choice then using bleach... 😊