Warning - RVs are impossible to drive!

ToddF

1 minute ago, Pat & Pete said:

The article could just as well have been about any 'new' driver . 

It could also be said of many experienced drivers and especially so with an RV. It is also true that at some point in life we should probably stop driving, but that is a very subjective thing and is more a physical thing than it is an absolute age. It can be very difficult for a person to objectively judge their own driving skills. I have begun to realize that I need to concentrate more fully on my driving than I did 20, or even 10 years ago. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

It could also be said of many experienced drivers and especially so with an RV. It is also true that at some point in life we should probably stop driving, but that is a very subjective thing and is more a physical thing than it is an absolute age. It can be very difficult for a person to objectively judge their own driving skills. I have begun to realize that I need to concentrate more fully on my driving than I did 20, or even 10 years ago. 

True . As we age , it's very likely/possible that our synapse spread a bit making it a little longer for impulses to happen . 

IOW , we aren't as sharp as we use to be . ;)

Exactly why I prefer to drive slower . That and I don't have anywhere to be anyway . LOL

Goes around , comes around .

A friend has been driving a MH for over 40 years. When we were leaving a CG he was behind me, I swung wide to miss a telephone pole right on the corner of the intersection.  He didn't, and damaged the right side of his MH  severely.

It happens to  novices and experienced MH drivers alike.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

It is not just motorhomes being driven poorly, it is TT and 5ers.  It is amazing to watch people with long trailer pulling into an angled pull through.  They refuse to get over and swing wide  resulting in cutting across the grass and curb creating ruts.  We have seen more than one damage their RV simply because they do not know how to drive it.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

It happens to  novices and experienced MH drivers alike.

Some of the most experienced of us also begin to lose some of our skills and abilities as well. I know that vision, reactions, and other physical skills begin to decline and that our driving skills are not as good as they once were. Even with an automobile there will come a time for most of us that we should consider hanging up the keys. We all need to keep aware of the process as it can happen at any age. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

33 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Some of the most experienced of us also begin to lose some of our skills and abilities as well. I know that vision, reactions, and other physical skills begin to decline and that our driving skills are not as good as they once were. Even with an automobile there will come a time for most of us that we should consider hanging up the keys. We all need to keep aware of the process as it can happen at any age. 

When we moved back into an apartment Dave started dong all our driving, even taking me places he would not need to go. After a couple years of that, I realized I no longer feel my skills are current so I've stopped driving altogether. Since we live in a place where transportation is available (until Covid-19 hit) when Dave needed a driver to a medical procedure we just scheduled a ride in the community van. It's nice to be here.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van