winching a trencher

hemsteadc

I had to trench once through very loose sandy dirt.  So loose the self-propelled trencher kept bogging down.  I hooked up my tractor and had to pull it slowly with that.  Other times I've found that it can be difficult to keep a straight line.  Have fun!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

Had to tow one when we blew a hole in the Orbit motor return line. Hooked up the pick-up, just a little throttle, otherwise the feed chain would stall.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

If you have access to one of the mini-backhoe units it may well be. A friend of mine used to have one of the tracked versions with a bucket that was only 6" wide and it was great, but requires more skill to get a nice trench than does a trencher. If you plan to rent, take a look at what Ditch Witch has. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

.. bucket that was only 6" wide and it was great, but requires more skill to get a nice trench than does a trencher. If you plan to rent, take a look at what Ditch Witch has. 

Yes, getting a flat bottom is the main advantage of a real trencher.  I looked at renting, but the ones in this town are huge, and I have some tight spaces.  The Home Depot doesn't rent here. Besides, I like the idea of having my own tool without having to be under a deadline to return an item.

This was a pretty expensive little trencher, so I'm gonna do my best to make it work. I have a winch coming soon. I won't be doing any more hand-pulling this thing.  It's about 240lb - well in excess of me.

Edited by hemsteadc

On 7/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, hemsteadc said:

I'm using a small Brave trenching machine, but I have to maneuver it - it's not self-propelled.  It's darn heavy and really hard on my back.  I was thinking of pulling it with a winch.  

Anyone have any thoughts on that?  

Grumps told me.........."Kid, if you don't start getting better grades in school........you WILL find yourself digging ditches"

So......maybe Grumps was just spit-balling but..........I own a mini excavator AND a Ditchwitch 1230......both have dug a lot of ditches at various properties we own........AND........digging ditches is just another ......."degree of education"

I was a bit reserved to suggest the ........"Climb-ditching" method of ditcher trenching but it can be done ........IF.......IF you realize that it is a ............."ADVANCED HILLBILLY TRENCHER OPERATION"........

Obviously with "Climb-Ditching " the trencher chain tends to pull the trencher ahead naturally and the trick is that the hillbilly-operator needs to hold the trencher back from getting too large "bite" and then you might find yopurself trenching on land or flower beds that you do not own..........

If you decide to try "Climb-ditching" you might try it a few time in a open area about the size of 10 football fields and perhaps you might tie a rope around the spark plug wire and tie the other end to your belt loop sorta like the "Dead-man-switch" on a jet ski..........

If you decide to sue me your in good company............good luck finding a lawyer that dumb.......

Or...........perhaps go back to school and get better grades.........Grumps always said " Folks that got good grades in school have folks with poor grades dig their ditches"........

Drive / trench on..............of course the ditch has a curve in it.......the plans had a fold right there.......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I was afraid that was the answer.  Yuck.

Use this: Photoposting. When copy/pasting the URL, you will need to strip off the extra "IMG" tags. Otherwise, it's easy.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.