Private truck RV not for hire...

Vegas Teacher

Well I had 3 magnetic signs made bright yellow background black letters in bold print that say private truck / RV not for hire. I made one for each door and one for the back of the cab when I am bobtailing. They look good. If you want to see pictures go to the Facebook HDT page, much easier to post pictures there. Total cost was $110.00

Later Cory Ossana 

Cory, if they make you feel better, I am happy for you. Personally, I think you wasted $110. You are legal, yes? Correct registration? Properly licensed? 

Have you ever seen a Prevost Motorhome going down the road with signs that say "Private RV. Not for Hire."? Why not? Because they don't mean a thing....but like I said, if YOU like em, and it's your truck, I'm happy for ya. I still look forward to our next meet-up. The drinks are on me.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

2 hours ago, Big5er said:

Cory, if they make you feel better, I am happy for you. Personally, I think you wasted $110. You are legal, yes? Correct registration? Properly licensed? 

Have you ever seen a Prevost Motorhome going down the road with signs that say "Private RV. Not for Hire."? Why not? Because they don't mean a thing....but like I said, if YOU like em, and it's your truck, I'm happy for ya. I still look forward to our next meet-up. The drinks are on me.

Phil I did wonder if they were worth doing. I am not so sure I made the best of choices. But they sure are pretty LOL. We absolutely need to get together. I am flying home to Kansas. My home town is about 3 hours from where the big meet in the fall takes place. Won't be able to attend that, however might go try to see RV lifestyles they are about 45 minutes from my house in Pittsburg Kansas, yep no (H) in my Pittsburg. But we do need to figure out logistics of getting a diet Dr. Pepper or something a little stronger.

Later Cory Ossana 

Though they may not be of any real value, like Big5er said, if it makes you happy, then go for it. Don't look back at the decision and question it. Just look forward and be happy with your decision. I bought a few vinyl decals for my Freightliner, but have none on my Peterbilt. It's not how you have it labelled, it's how you license, insure and operate it that matters. As long as you are not making money, and have the right license and insurance, you should be good to go. If you are stopped, don't be too quick to answer questions. Think of each question before you answer it. ODOT told me once of a rodeo rider that had sponsor decals all over his rv/animal hauler. Pulled over and was asked if he was paid to ride in the rodeo? Rider proudly said yes. Leo would not let the vehicle move until a cdl driver showed up to drive it. Rider was making money, which is a "commercial aspect" of the operation, and as such required a cdl driver.

I'm a work'n on it.

In my experience fleet based operations are all "private truck not for hire" i.e HEB grocery,Walmart,Coastal Transport etc. They do not carry product or freight other than their own. All commercial trucks carrying for hire including trucks leased to companies or businesses, to my knowledge, must display current IFTA stickers.

Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

On 7/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, oldcodger said:

In my experience fleet based operations are all "private truck not for hire" i.e HEB grocery,Walmart,Coastal Transport etc. They do not carry product or freight other than their own. All commercial trucks carrying for hire including trucks leased to companies or businesses, to my knowledge, must display current IFTA stickers.

Dave

Dave,  Walmart is no longer "Not for Hire". They will actually take a load back for someone else rather than run empty (so I am told). And your analogy does not apply to all "fleets".  UPS (19,000 tractors), Fed-Ex (29,000 tractors), J.B. Hunt (14,500 tractors), Schneider, Yellow (now YRC), and Knight-Swift are all nationwide, very large, fleets that are all "for hire". And any carrier that operates "interstate" is required to have IFTA and stickers, unless they are doing single trip tax permits. The company I now work for is "Not for Hire".  Any of our 1-tons when pulling a trailer,  all our 3 axle fuel trucks, skid trucks, and of course our tractors are all operated in "interstate commerce" and require IFTA stickers. We have over 200 vehicles that that need them. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Quite a few of the "dedicated cargo" haulers like Walmart, etc,. offer back haul services to offset their shipping costs. I recall the warehouse crew at one company I worked for being very disappointed when a Lays tractor-trailer backed in to the dock and they learned it was only delivering an order of printer paper... 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 7/1/2020 at 4:16 PM, Big5er said:

Hey Big,

Your comments reminds me of a gig I was on a few decades ago hauling venomous snakes from South America to a medical research joint in S. Florida.

We had to overnight Merida Mexico and on those days in order to over fly Cuba I had to file a international flight plan thru the embassy of Norway because the USA had no formal relationship with Cuba .... 

As I was filing the flight plan à missionary pilot ask of I would perhaps help him file as well and perhaps he could have me help him transition Cuba airspace.....

After helping him get filed  we walked out the the aircraft and he had signs in the windows that said "Aircraft Carries NO DRUGS"

I suggested perhaps he might NOT want those signs in the windows when he pulls into Customs at Key West ....he said oh no I love those signs.....

I led into Cuban airspace and then Cuban control ask us to separate 20 miles so I dropped back..... 

Due to my drop back he landed ABOUT 20 minutes ahead of me in Key West ......I cleared Customs in 30 minutes and when I was taxinging out all of the seats and most of the interior panels of the missionary aircraft was scattered across the Customs ramp .... I wonder if indeed they did NOT find any drugs..... 

As for my cargo... . The customs guys did NOT want to pet the venomous snakes and sent me on the way.....

Drive (fly)......on......be careful who reads your signs

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

In Nebraska your truck plates (including pick up trucks) will say what you are right on it. Commercial, farm etc. I even seen one that says Local Truck. Anyway,  My license plate says Mobile Home on it. If thats not good enough for law enforcement then nothing else will be.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I was just thinking how quiet this forum is getting. I almost posted something about not for hire signs just to get everyone riled up. I guess my wife is right, I do like to stir the pot. (of Dr Pepper). :)

I have never had any not for hire decals on my truck and I've hauled race cars all over the east coast and midwest.  I've only been pulled over once and asked if I was making money. I simply laughed and explained that no one is making any money in amateur racing.  He chuckled and sent me on my way.

Everyone asks me if I'm afraid to drive past weigh stations. I simply tell them "not even when the blue lights come on"    It's just a man, doing his job.

• 4 weeks later...

Cory sorry took so long to answer. First off I sold my tractor life chances and went a different direction. Just turned 74 and to be honest DW never was thrilled with it. 

Any I love the idea of making magnetic signs as you did. I did have signage and like most was 2 inch decals. Everybody is correct the signage is meaningless on the legal side of things. I can say though at least 3 times had Highway Patrol come up long side of me. Appeared to look at signage and went on their way. Was they going to stop me for whatever reason and decided not to bother because of signage and had better things to do, I don't know, like to think so. 

When I was arguing with Commercial MVD about changing registration from Commercial to non commercial which in Arizona provide to be a lost cause. At one time they did and then stopped doing it I missed out on when it was allowed. One of the things they kept saying was I could easily start doing Commercial. I showed them the truck with the signage and the non commercial hitch and the 3 foot extension of the frame rails along with removal of glad hands and said not going to happen! They were not impressed. I think if had magnetic signs would have made it harder in States where you could change from Commercial to non commercial would be my only other concern. Other than that I love it!!!!!

Oh I stick around on this forum encase sometime maybe have some useful help and always entertaining!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bob Cochran

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:46 PM, Bob Cochran said:

Cory sorry took so long to answer. First off I sold my tractor life chances and went a different direction. Just turned 74 and to be honest DW never was thrilled with it. 

Any I love the idea of making magnetic signs as you did. I did have signage and like most was 2 inch decals. Everybody is correct the signage is meaningless on the legal side of things. I can say though at least 3 times had Highway Patrol come up long side of me. Appeared to look at signage and went on their way. Was they going to stop me for whatever reason and decided not to bother because of signage and had better things to do, I don't know, like to think so. 

When I was arguing with Commercial MVD about changing registration from Commercial to non commercial which in Arizona provide to be a lost cause. At one time they did and then stopped doing it I missed out on when it was allowed. One of the things they kept saying was I could easily start doing Commercial. I showed them the truck with the signage and the non commercial hitch and the 3 foot extension of the frame rails along with removal of glad hands and said not going to happen! They were not impressed. I think if had magnetic signs would have made it harder in States where you could change from Commercial to non commercial would be my only other concern. Other than that I love it!!!!!

Oh I stick around on this forum encase sometime maybe have some useful help and always entertaining!!!!!!!!

I appreciate your comment. I really like the part where you explain a highway patrol pulled up along side, read the sign and kept going. Like you I have also removed the commercial 5th and my glad hands. I think I am going to get my sleeper window taken care of next week. One project at a time. I am looking forward to the day I am out on the road with everybody else. Retirement for me is only 8 years. Like a friend told me I am down to being able to count the years on two hands, before I know it I will be on one hand.

Later,

Vegas Teacher -  Cory Ossana

I don't get the obsession with removing the commercial hitch and/or glad hands.  There are plenty of us using glad hands, and even some pulling trailers heavy enough to justify the hitch.  Removing them proves nothing, it only suggests that you're not commercial.  There are lots of commercial trucks running around with neither.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Many of us with air over hydraulic brakes on the trailer can't readily "hook up" to a commercial trailer's air system.

In the commercial world the convention is to hard-plumb the air lines to the tractor, with gladhands on the air lines to attach to gladhands on the trailer.  In the RV world, many (and I'd dare say most) have found it more convenient to plumb the air lines to the trailer, to connect to a pair of gladhands on the tow vehicle.  A tractor in RV service plumbed this way has no way to connect to a commercial trailer unless someone has rigged up a special set of hoses with gladhands on both ends.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Although maybe not needed. I am flying the 'not for hire' signage for the neighbors. We have a few that feel they are self appointed neighborhood enforcement... from the comfort of their living room with binoculars, making anonymous complaints. Fortunately the city council rep lives in the next block and he's in the loop.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I wonder how many states require removal of hitch/gladhands?  I was told by Ohio they needed removed, but in fact, the nice lady at the DMV was wrong.  Opinion, not law......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

We have signage that simply states Private RV.  I don't expect it to make our truck more legal in some way but it has helped in different ways.  One time entering a state park the volunteer at the gate said he noticed the sign.  He said they don't want commercial truckers.  Many times there are LEO,s that aren't familiar with what we are doing and think we need a CDL.  The sign is the first clue they see that this is not an average commercial truck and there may be some different rules.  Our plates have the letters RT for recreational truck but they don't usually know that unless they read the registration.  Of course if they were to stop us I also have the reg's.  One time in AZ when we filled up at the commercial pumps the attendant saw the sign and discounted the extra diesel tax.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I wonder how many states require removal of hitch/gladhands?  I was told by Ohio they needed removed, but in fact, the nice lady at the DMV was wrong.  Opinion, not law......

I use my gladhands. Got air over hydraulic brakes.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I use my "truck tractor's" trailer air connections. 

The normal "commercial" electric receptacle (the one where the pins are easy to clean with the brushing tool) is back of the cab. 

When the body was built, RV flat 7 connector receptacles (the hard to clean crappy ones)  were also installed by the glad hands back of cab and a second one at the back of the skirt for the reciever hitch. 

Hayes brake controller  tee'd in on the brake application pressure side operating electric trailer brakes in a linear - proportional manner. 

The trailer brake control lever ( aka the spike, the trolley valve, the Johnson bar,) operates either an air brake trailer's brakes or electric brake trailer's brakes independent of the truck's foot valve - like "normal" if you have the truck driving experience.  No reaching for a slide button somewhere etc. Handle is right there under the wheel rim where it "belongs."  😀

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.