On the road water source

Scramblicon

Hi Campers - I boon-dock most of the time and sometimes it's difficult to find a water source.  I've thought about getting some faucet handles to carry with me but if there was a more honest way to obtain water - I would like to know about it.  I don't mind paying a fee but my tanks take about 35 gallons when empty.  Any ideas?

Most RV dump stations have a freshwater fill.  Many campgrounds allow you to fill for a fee or spend a night in one and get water-related things done and a long shower; fill and dump - even sine forest service campgrounds have hookups, dump and water fill along with city and county parks. Gas stations have an outside faucet.  Flying J's and others have RV lanes.

Honestly, we boondocked a LOT and never had a problem finding water.... even on the trip to Alaska.

Welcome to the forum!!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, Scramblicon said:

Hi Campers - I boon-dock most of the time and sometimes it's difficult to find a water source.  I've thought about getting some faucet handles to carry with me but if there was a more honest way to obtain water - I would like to know about it.  I don't mind paying a fee but my tanks take about 35 gallons when empty.  Any ideas?

A lot of boondockers check into a campground every once in awhile to fill water, dump waste, and top off batteries. Some state parks and a few private campgrounds will let you fill water without paying a camping fee. Some city water processing plants have public faucets. Some truck stops have public faucets.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think that most common is to associate refilling water tanks with dumping waste tanks. While I no-longer do much dry camping, when we did we usually did both at truck stops, or we would spend one night in a campground to do both. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Pilot/Flying J RV stations have fresh water and a dump station, dump fee is $10 I think.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I spend a lot of time in the desert Southwest.  It can indeed be very difficult to find water sources.  That is also often true when traveling across country.  

The first step I have taken which helps is to top off my tank whenever possible, even if I am just a few gallons short of full. 

The next and by far the most important consideration  is water conservation.  My faucets never run unless I am absolutely using that water.  Something like rinsing washed dishes does not take a big blast of water, just a trickle.  Showers can use a lot of water.  I set the timer on my hot water heater so that the water in the hot water tank reaches an ideal temperature for a shower.  I turn on a trickle of hot water while I soap up.  Then I set again for a trickle while I rinse off.  I use about 1 gallon for a shower.  If I am by myself taking a daily shower, I will use a total of about 3 gallons per day for everything including the shower, drinking, cooking and washing dishes.  With my wife we are at about 5 gallons.

Finally, I often use a funnel and a water jug to fill my tank.  There are often places where there are no faucets but you can fill a 3-5 gallon jug multiple times as needed.    

When I worked at Dream Catcher Escapees RV Park in Deming NM many boondocks would come in for one night and Park in the boondock area for $7.00 a night. They would dump and flush, fill there fresh water tank, do laundry and shower. In the morning they were gone. A week later they would comeback and repeat a night. For 6 days during the week they were boondocking out in the desert. You might try to find cheep campgrounds near you or on your route and do the same. Check out Pasport America for one night low cost campgrounds. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...

how do you maneuver a 30 foot motorhome close enough to a gas station faucet? And where do you find these... by the bathroom? I need to see a video of it. lol. 

Also I've been to a couple Pilot truck stops in my short life as an RVer but never saw "an RV lane". I had to go where the cars went to fill up the gas tank. And park where the trucks parked to run inside and get something to eat. Am I missing something obvious?

thanks

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

First you don't need to be very close to a faucet if you have a good-sized hose.

Second, It's Flying J that has the RV lanes near the car lanes. That's harder to determine before you pull in now that they have merged with Pilot.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, amarie1 said:

And where do you find these... by the bathroom? I need to see a video of it. lol. 

A great deal depends on the situation. If in doubt, as at the fuel desk where you can fill your water tank. And do not fill your water tank from the water supply at a dump station as it is probably contaminated by people using it to wash out their sewer hose and fittings. Most of those have signs stating that you aren't to use them but even if there is no sign, it is very risky. You do need to park such that you will be out of the way of other vehicles passing by, even if you do have a long water hose. If you go to an RV park to dump tanks and get water, most will allow you to do so for a very nominal fee and you know the water is safe there. When using an unknown water hydrant, be sure to sterilize it with some chlorine bleach and make sure you get the mixture up inside of the water outlet. 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks!  

Would you add one of those blue water filters to the hookup when filling the water tank? I don't have one but see that on videos all the time.

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

13 hours ago, amarie1 said:

Would you add one of those blue water filters to the hookup when filling the water tank?

As a minimum when getting water from an approved water supply. I never put any water into our tank that has not been passed through a filter. I assume that you are thinking of the hose attached filter from Camco:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRlbsmWcaEhczZaeF6q

I use one of the whole house filters because the choice of filter cartridges for them is much better. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6RTMmi-k_hhW2fNQRcAnd the filters for them    41+oVOiRC+L._AC_SR320,320_.jpg

Edited by Kirk W

On 7/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, amarie1 said:

how do you maneuver a 30 foot motorhome close enough to a gas station faucet? And where do you find these... by the bathroom? I need to see a video of it. lol. 

Also I've been to a couple Pilot truck stops in my short life as an RVer but never saw "an RV lane". I had to go where the cars went to fill up the gas tank. And park where the trucks parked to run inside and get something to eat. Am I missing something obvious?

thanks

AM

Not Pilot truck stops, company-owned  Pilot/Flying J travel centers (Pilot owns Flying J now). Some franchise Flying J's do not have RV lanes.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, amarie1 said:

thanks!  

Would you add one of those blue water filters to the hookup when filling the water tank? I don't have one but see that on videos all the time.

As Kirk indicated, it is the tank that is blue. It holds a filter you choose. Be aware that the finer the weave of the filter the slower your tank will fill. You change the filter when It gets too dirty; how long that takes depends on your water usage and where you are camped.  Places with lots of minerals in the water require more frequent changes.

Linda

Those 'blue filters' do not have replaceable filter cartridges. The whole blue thing is the replaceable part. What Kirk posted is a filter cartridge housing that the element can be replaced. It is common to use two of them in series. A particulate filter before an activated charcoal filter.  It all depends on how much water you are using.

• 3 weeks later...

Older thread, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting that you boil water from a water source close to your campsite. The EPA recommends this method for creating potable water so I'm wondering why no one in the RV community ever seems to use it? 

They even suggest adding a pinch of salt to improve the flavor ;) 

5 hours ago, kstills said:

Older thread, but I haven't seen anyone suggesting that you boil water from a water source close to your campsite. The EPA recommends this method for creating potable water so I'm wondering why no one in the RV community ever seems to use it? 

They even suggest adding a pinch of salt to improve the flavor ;) 

We were not discussing using ground water, only water from a faucet which has likely already been treated to some degree. Yes, if you are getting your water from a creek or river you need to boil it or otherwise chemically treat it.

Linda

14 hours ago, kstills said:

I haven't seen anyone suggesting that you boil water from a water source close to your campsite.

I suppose that may be possible, but since the discussion was about filling the RV water tank, most RVs have a tank of between 20 and 80 gallons of water. Not only would it be a lot of water to boil, in most RVs it would also be a challenge to get that water into the potable water tank. Boiling water for emergency use is a good technique, but for filling an RV tank is isn't practical. 

On 8/12/2020 at 7:51 AM, Kirk W said:

I suppose that may be possible, but since the discussion was about filling the RV water tank, most RVs have a tank of between 20 and 80 gallons of water. Not only would it be a lot of water to boil, in most RVs it would also be a challenge to get that water into the potable water tank. Boiling water for emergency use is a good technique, but for filling an RV tank is isn't practical. 

If you boil a gallon a day for a week, you'll extend your tank by almost 12%, good for another day (60g tank). 

Seems worth it. 

Although that guzzle makes that a moot point. 

3 hours ago, kstills said:

If you boil a gallon a day for a week, you'll extend your tank by almost 12%, good for another day (60g tank). 

Assuming you aren't using any water on the days you are boiling water?

Linda