Dental Insurance

I am full time and use the Escapees So Dakota address as my domicle. My mail, except for my drivers liscense, registration, auto/RV Insurance and Medicare, goes to TX, as required by Escapees. My Medicare Supplement, purchased using my SD address is good at any Dr anywhere. I did not get a Medicare Advantage Plan because I am full time and did not want an HMO. I now need to get implants, which are very expensive. My Supplement plan doesn’t include dental. Does anyone know of a good Dental plan, with nationwide coverage? Do I have to use the SD address, as I did for my Medicare, or can I use Livingston TX address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

The dental insurance plans I have read have specific treatments that pretty much match what I would pay through premiums. They do cover emergency treatment. That would be the advantage of insurance plan vs savings or Care Credit. I hear a lot of good things about Mexico and dentists. 

I have gone to Mex in the past but I am I the north for the summer and won’t be back to AZ till Nov, (assuming the campground is open and the border to AZ is not closed due to CV-19) and can’t wait that long. I need treatment soon. So my question remains, does anyone know of a nationwide dental plan?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Best Dental Insurance Providers of 2020
  • Cigna: Best Overall.
  • Renaissance Dental: Runner-Up, Best Overall.
  • Spirit Dental: Best for No Waiting Periods.
  • Humana Dental Insurance: Best Value.
  • UnitedHealthOne Dental Insurance: Best for Families.
  • Physicians Mutual: Best for Seniors.
  • Delta Dental: Best for Orthodontics.
Investopedia, May 14, 2020

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...

My plan had a waiting time for some more expensive procedures. I think many do. So watch out for that. Also there may be a limit per year after the waiting period. 

I am also starting to question copay on procedures as I may not be as informed I as should  be. I had crown replaced at the end of March and I was surprised by my portion of it.  It may have been a great deal but it was still surprising. I kind of wondered if I didn't have insurance and paid out of pocket would that have been cheaper.  Just been so long since I had a crown done that I am just not up on what it costs these days. Bad news is on Wed. I split a tooth and am about to do it again way sooner than I expected.

I have been on my plan about 3 years.  Before that I got most of my dental care in Las Palomas, Mexico  south of Deming NM from about 1997 until I got on a Dental Plan.   I would go back if there were not any issues with Covid or the like.  I don't know but I believe Mexico may be restricting Americans crossing into Mexico for now but I am not sure other than some limited news reports.

Edited by bigjim

I looked into Dental insurance plans years years ago and was underwhelmed.  My conclusion was that all of the insurance plans I looked at were a bad deal for me.  I agree with other posts, that if you have an existing dental problem, it's too late for insurance.

I concluded that what I really wanted was access to lower priced dental costs rather than any kind of insurance. I suggest searching on: discount dental plans.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Thanks for all of your replies. I went to the DDS the other day and just had him pull the affected tooth.  I did not purchase any dental insurance and just paid cash, about $300. I am not getting the implant, I will just have one less tooth. Most dental plans are averaging about $35 to $45 per month, have a deductible and a co-pay, and don’t cover for preexisting conditions. Also something like an implant is only covered for 50% of the cost after you pay  your deductible which averaged about $1,500. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

I've looked into dental plans over the years and found that it was always cheaper to simply pay out of pocket when/if needed.
That said, I prefer my dentist and oral surgeon in Los Algodones, MX - we've had extensive high quality work done there at far below US prices.  It's worth the trip and the time to find a good Mexican dental office.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

50 minutes ago, Rich&Sylvia said:

I've looked into dental plans over the years and found that it was always cheaper to simply pay out of pocket when/if needed.
That said, I prefer my dentist and oral surgeon in Los Algodones, MX - we've had extensive high quality work done there at far below US prices.  It's worth the trip and the time to find a good Mexican dental office.

Would you tell us who you use and the telephone # in Agodones? Thanks!  

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Some plans can be worth it I think if you can deal with the waiting period which I believe is 1 year.  I think I about broke about even the first year and the 2nd year I definity came out ahead. That the way mine worked.  I think overall it has saved me but not absolutely sure in every case. For the crown I had replaced at the end of April my portion was $659.55 for a gold crown. The dentist said gold was cheaper than porcilien and more resiliant.  I had a gold crown and a gold bridge put done in late 1975 or early 1976 and have never had an issue with either in all these years so maybe he is right.

One crown that was done in Mexico messed up within a week but the dentist said he guarnteed his work which turned out to be true. The bad part is I was in Albq. when it messed up and had to go over 200 miles back to get it fixed and stayed 1 or 2 nights in a cheap motel in Deming at my own expense.  Never had another issue with it or any other work I had done there.  The clinic there was the Fierro dental clinic and was the largest in Las Palomas I believe. However I think they may be closed now. some of the dentist there had a US phone # as do some or most in Algadones and some of the other border cities.

Edited by bigjim

On 7/19/2020 at 8:06 AM, rockintom said:

Would you tell us who you use and the telephone # in Agodones? Thanks!  

Clinica Integral Rubio /  Dr. Alfredo Cruz Llorenz (928) 255-0896 USA# this this dentist now does implants although I have not used him for that yet.  They have several dentists at that clinic.

Endoplus/ Fernando Dominguez, DDS  - Endodontic and Laser Therapy  (928) 362-0530
There were three endodontists the last time I visited that clinic.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich