heat pump dryers

GlennWest

I have mentioned this in a post about an inverter. Looking at Samsung, Whirlpool. They all require a 30 amp 240 breaker. But plainly states 800 watts. All that is needed is 10 amp for that low wattage. Now I would have no problem with that 30 amp system but I wonder about what they actually pull since they want a 30 amp system. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Are you allowing for the LRA, "Locked Rotor Amps" (starting current) the compressor draws briefly at startup? That typically double or triple draw must be allowed for in the power supply and protection design.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Good question. They are heat pump but I don't know how efficient a heat pump they are. Mini split doesn't, standard heat pumps do. They don't supply that info. But 3600 watts is a lot

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Mini-splits usually have three motors, one for the compressor, one for the external fan, and one for the internal fan. The startup current for all three must be considered in the sizing.

Dutch

Oh my mini splits have no LRA. Mine pull around 400 watts. Little more on heat. Now most inverters are double capable for a few seconds. Those all cheap dometic heat pumps need 20 amps.

56 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Mini-splits usually have three motors, one for the compressor, one for the external fan, and one for the internal fan. The startup current for all three must be considered in the sizing.

The mini splits use an inverter system and start very slow and soft.  Then ramp up slowly to what is needed.  Unlike other heat pumps these vary the compressor and fans as needed.  Virtually no surge current at start.  The start up current is less than full cooling.

Edited by Randyretired
Clarity

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 hours ago, Randyretired said:

The mini splits use an inverter system and start very slow and soft.  Then ramp up slowly to what is needed.  Unlike other heat pumps these vary the compressor and fans as needed.  Virtually no surge current at start.  The start up current is less than full cooling.

That's good to know, Randy, but it doesn't explain the stated 30 amp 240 volt service requirement for an apparent 800 watt load...

Dutch

I am not sure but the 30 amp 240 Glenn is looking at seems to be for a heat pump dryer.  I don't have the specs here now but the mini splits need about 10 amps or less for the size like Glenn's.  I don't know how the dryers are setup but I don't think those are split like a mini split and I doubt those are variable speed.  The 30 amp 240 is standard for regular dryers and it doesn't make sense at all for 800 watts.  Even at a surge of 2, 3 or even 4 times it  wouldn't need that.  Something is amiss here.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Randy, after thinking on this for a while, think I understand. Manufacturers sells dryers now with no cord. You buy one if you need one. All dryer cords are #10 wire. #10 wire gets 30 amp breaker.