Why should I wear a mask?

Kirk W

I believe it is going to get a lot worse yet before the sun rises again (metaphorically) .  This arrogance of the American ppl, and most the world, won't happen to me, I won't be affected, I don't care, I'll survive, survival of the fittest, my race is better than your race, blah blah blah..... is exactly why we need to prepare for our future, our children's mostly, which is learning to speak Russian, Chinese (yes I know it is not the correct name of that language), or perhaps, what-ever language the Islamic nations use......  WE ARE OUR OWN WORST ENEMIES! 

The above is NOT political, the above is where we are headed if we don't pull our head out of our arse.  Wear your dayum N95 mask!  Be a part of the solution, not a part of the crowd (lack of) mentality.  I believe in science.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wearing a mask when in proximity to others is the thing to do patriotic.  We are in a war.  WWII military casualties were about 410,000 in four years.  This war has killed almost a third as many in less than six months.  That's a war.  The countries that have the best records of fighting this war (definitely not the USA) rigorously use masks.  That is because masks are a weapon to limit the spread of the virus and the deaths of several hundred thousand more people.  So be a patriot.  When you are in public places or with others in close proximity wear a mask.    Not doing so is unpatriotic.

Edited by Jinx & Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

it will be scientists 200 years from now who will look back and laugh at what scientists are saying today.

But, it's the best we've got. 

That's  right.  Science changes based on our best information, not perfect information.  It ain't the Bible.  

I wear one when in public near others.

I make jewelry and HAVE to wear protection. I have suffered NO ill effects from prolonged periods of use.

It's pretty simple!

I use a balaclava. I have one that is fleece with microfiber. If I triple it , it transmits no light and my exhalation stream is reduced drastically.

Avoid crowded confined places. Stay away from other as much as possible, wash your hands... HEY! I do that anyways!

Now I just do it with a fashionable camo balaclava that makes me look Spec Ops!

32 minutes ago, aztex said:

wash your hands... HEY! I do that anyways!

The new guideline: Wash your hands as long as it takes to sing the happy birthday song twice. That's not something i have done in the past. Even things we've always done every day have changed! 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, JimK said:

I saw the video of Rand and Fauci.  Amazing.  Fauci did not get to his position by being a good doctor with scientific knowledge.  He is politically astute.  He is still trying to put out some sort of message and facts and at the same time survive with a President who wants to believe Covid should be swept under the carpet and we should get back to normal.  

It seems clear we are headed for tough times, which have just started.  We are still looking at a couple of million deaths unless there is a very effective vaccine available within a few months.  

Rand Paul had the virus and even now he is doubting the experts.  Here's an interesting article:  https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/07/politics/rand-paul-coronavirus-recovery/index.html

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

24 minutes ago, sandsys said:

The new guideline: Wash your hands as long as it takes to sing the happy birthday song twice. That's not something i have done in the past. Even things we've always done every day have changed! 

Linda

I prefer to count....there's no way I want to invite the HB song ear worm into my head!

:D

10 minutes ago, aztex said:

I prefer to count....there's no way I want to invite the HB song ear worm into my head!

Now you went and did I..... it's now 🤪in my head, too!! 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

Wear your dayum N95 mask! 

The CDC says N95 masks should be served for health care workers:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for health care workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance."

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

It's actually sort of like wearing a mask in the first place:  to benefit others.  In this case, the health care workers, by having more masks for them now and in the future.

21 minutes ago, Blues said:

It's actually sort of like wearing a mask in the first place:  to benefit others.  In this case, the health care workers, by having more masks for them now and in the future.

Surgeons know something some of us don't, or refuse to.

20 hours ago, docj said:

I'm sorry to say this, but but I've begun to "discard" friends like this. I won't discard a friend purely over political beliefs, but if someone is willing to risk my health and the health of others because of their political views then I no longer have anything in common with them.

Joel,

You said:

"I won't discard a friend purely over political beliefs, but if someone is willing to risk my health and the health of others because of their political views then I no longer have anything in common with them."

I say ditto.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, aztex said:

Sing the ABC song you learned in Kindergarten, all the way through (including the part about "aren't you proud of me" - that's also just over 20 seconds.   😎

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Kirk, there is some great information for the link you posted.  Included in the discussion was the need to have some consistent approaches.  That is not happening.  Most of us here on Long Island are hunkered down and have food delivered and even then wipe the containers with a rag sprayed with diluted bleach.  All of the precautions and the social distancing and the masks and the shutdowns have really helped.  

The governor wants voluntary quarantine for visitors from States with growing infection rates.  Meanwhile we have an Indian friend who had a relative arrive from India.  In case you are not aware the infection rate is now really bad in India.  They are just bringing a new 10,000 bed hospital online.  Anyway, the plane was full, no empty seats, no one wearing masks.  There were no restrictions and no screenings at either end.  What is wrong with this country?   Anyway this is supposed to be an RV oriented forum.  With that in mind I have no idea when travel is going to make sense again.  Maybe locally, but I had planned a 4 month 15,000 mile trip.    

6 hours ago, Blues said:

The CDC says N95 masks should be served for health care workers:

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) does not recommend that the general public wear N95 respirators to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including coronavirus (COVID-19). Those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for health care workers and other medical first responders, as recommended by current CDC guidance."

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks

We have 2 N95's left over from when my wife was on chemo and had to fly. They did nto want them as they were out of the original packaging. We are saving them in case we fly. I suspect they should be available to the general public in a few months again

Paul Beddows

Summer-Abbotsford BC, Winter Jalisco Mexico

Co-Founder of NATCOA

Wagon Master for Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravans

2010 Majestic Class C

I was in Montana this past week.
Overheard a camper say that "it was safe here" - meaning that Covid was not present.
Yet, the campsite had several Arizona and Texas license plated RV's - and laundry, restroom, etc.

Playing the odds?  You bet your life.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

10 hours ago, telcoman said:

We have 2 N95's left over from when my wife was on chemo and had to fly. They did nto want them as they were out of the original packaging. We are saving them in case we fly. I suspect they should be available to the general public in a few months again

We also have a couple of N95 masks that we wear when we go out, which is rare.  Why there doesn't appear to be an all out effort to make these generally available is something I don't understand.  Instead they want us to wear masks of unknown and unproven design.  My dad taught me years ago that if something is worth doing then do it right.  N95 masks were readily available before this for less than $2.00.  If these were available today without causing shortages for critical operations I for one would buy many.  The filtering capability of these masks is far superior for both the one wearing the mask and others. For a couple of bucks why not have the best?

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

2 minutes ago, Randyretired said:

We also have a couple of N95 masks that we wear when we go out, which is rare.  Why there doesn't appear to be an all out effort to make these generally available is something I don't understand.  Instead they want us to wear masks of unknown and unproven design.  My dad taught me years ago that if something is worth doing then do it right.  N95 masks were readily available before this for less than $2.00.  If these were available today without causing shortages for critical operations I for one would buy many.  The filtering capability of these masks is far superior for both the one wearing the mask and others. For a couple of bucks why not have the best?

They aren't readily available and they are expensive, so reserved for right now for medical personnel.   And to be effective, one should be 'fit-tested' to make sure one has a good fit and instructed as how to properly wear them.   

Since you don't plan to spend hours over a patient with a contagious disease, a cloth mask will provide protection for others from you and theirs will provide protection for you from them.    It is making the best of the present situation.    Besides health care workers and first responders, N95 masks should also be made available to elementary school teachers who will be faced with rooms full of incredible germ carriers (kids) who may never show symptoms but can spread the disease.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

They aren't readily available and they are expensive, so reserved for right now for medical personnel.   And to be effective, one should be 'fit-tested' to make sure one has a good fit and instructed as how to properly wear them.   

Since you don't plan to spend hours over a patient with a contagious disease, a cloth mask will provide protection for others from you and theirs will provide protection for you from them.    It is making the best of the present situation.    Besides health care workers and first responders, N95 masks should also be made available to elementary school teachers who will be faced with rooms full of incredible germ carriers (kids) who may never show symptoms but can spread the disease.  

It is outrageous that is has been months since this virus started and still even health care workers and first responders can't get these masks.  There are a lot of people that would benefit from these.  I don't think $2 is expensive and until this virus that is what these were going for.  Instead of making a big fuss over some people not wearing masks those of us that wanted to could do a better job of protecting ourselves and family.  N95 masks and face shields would go a long way towards protecting those at risk.  The excuse that we need to save those for first responders and so forth was very reasonable at first but here we are months later and those that need masks still are having trouble.  So today we just use an old shirt or an old scarf and call it good?  Have these been fitted and people taught to wear them?  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift