Converter or battery issue ?

colet581

Hello All, I am new to the forum so please bare with me and I'll try to make it quick

My wife and I are full timers and reside in a 2019 Sanibel 3402 and are park hosts in Texas, we have been on shore power for the past 3 months with no issues,

Recently I noticed that when I turn on my main living area led lights my battery indicator reads 1/3rd charged but when those particular lights are off it shows full, would anybody have 

an idea of what might cause this.  Im thinking converter.  Thanks

If you're talking about an LED battery indicator with three or four lights, they're not exactly a precision instrument and I would first verify that you can trust what it's telling you. Do all the 12 volt devices seem to operate normally (LED lights come on and are bright, controls on RV frig and ACs working OK, etc.)? Have you bumped your battery cut-off switch accidentally and taken your battery off-line? If you have a digital voltmeter, take readings at the battery terminals. A fully charged 12 volt lead-acid battery should measure about 12/6 - 12/9 volts and about 11.4 volts when fully discharged. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Another indicator that your converter is not working properly is to run your slides in/out.  If they move slower than normal, there is a good chance your converter is going out.  

As for checking your batteries, make sure you disconnect the cables when you put the voltmeter on them.  Otherwise, they may be getting some power from the converter.

What you are probably seeing is the voltage drop caused by the lights and the meter being on the same line.  If so, it means nothing. 

The standard battery indicator meter is useless.  As was mentioned earlier, you need to use a voltmeter.   And even that is not accurate. 

If you plan to boondock, you will need a meter that has a shunt. About $200.  I don't know why modern RVs don't come with one.  

If you are not going to boondock more than 48 hours, don't worry about it.  

- Ken

RVing since 1983. Now Full-timing.

5er: 2010 Dutchmen Grand Junction 340RL

PV: 2014 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 SRW

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the late response, I do have a meter and I checked my battery (group 27 12V DC) it measured 12V.  If Im not mistaken that amount of charge would be low, possibly at 25%.  So before I go any further I need to make sure the battery is still good, and yes I am trying to get setup to boondock at some point.

Have the battery load-tested, most battery stores do it free. Make sure the plates in each cell are covered with acid solution first. If the solution is below the plates, they might be warped, which ruins the battery.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961