Scrape and Seal

Angie

Wondering if there is a way to tell if a roof has been scraped and sealed (recently I.e. like less than a month ago)? I attached some photos below.  And what types of things to look for to see when it needs to be done? I apologize if this has been asked before! Thank you!!

B6CD7ACD-43C9-42B3-B473-CE7863B7A99F.jpeg

AEA2D50B-99FA-4C11-B71D-C9208706A1BB.jpeg

CE6F3643-C9D0-4954-917D-1990B93FCD2A.jpeg

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We will do our best to help you.

Based on the photos that you posted, my guess would be that those first two were done recently. New caulking is much cleaner looking than it is after only a relatively short period of time. It also quickly loses the shiny look to the surface. In the pictures you can also see a clean surface around the caulking, which makes me think that whoever did the caulking also cleaned the surface well before the job was done. On the skylight you can also see that the screw heads holding it down were sealed, as they should be.

The third photo looks to be one of a vent cover which is not caulked and it should not be. If I am correct about what it shows, then there should be a small space between the bottom of each vent cover and the roof materials as those vent covers mount with brackets that attach to the sides of the roof vent. You could check inside of the cover to see the caulking around the vent assembly, however once we had the vent covers on our RV I didn't worry much about that caulking since the cover prevented it from direct sun. If that isn't a vent cover, then let us know and we will take another look.

The way to tell if caulking needs to be replaced is to look for signs of cracking or of it getting places where the edges are not tightly sealed to the roof materials. If you can slip something under any of the edges or if there is more than an occasional small crack, the caulking should be replaced. I  examine mine each year and replace it every 3 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ski said:

Remove old caulk if it looks good? 

While I don't remove all, I do examine it very closely using a thing plastic scraper to check along the edges very carefully. I use a very critical eye and if in doubt, replace. It isn't a good idea to just keep adding more, which is the problem with going too long. I don't believe that I have ever left caulk beyond five years, even if it looks good. 

On 7/2/2020 at 7:05 PM, Kirk W said:

While I don't remove all, I do examine it very closely using a thing plastic scraper to check along the edges very carefully. I use a very critical eye and if in doubt, replace. It isn't a good idea to just keep adding more, which is the problem with going too long. I don't believe that I have ever left caulk beyond five years, even if it looks good. 

Does this mean you are still able to safely get on the roof and do the work?

23 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Cheater!  Kind of envious.

That is the benefit of my sons thinking that I'm too old to do some things. I ask them if they can help, or should I just do the project myself?