San Luis State Park CO

agesilaus

Right now we are sitting in an amazing boondocking site. San Luis State Park is an semi abandoned Colorado State Park. They close the park but left the gates opened and the POWER on. I see about 12 to 15 people camped out here. They have 30/50 amp pedestals,  no water and we passed a dump station on the way in. I'm looking out the window at Great Sand Dunes and the surrounding mountains right now.

To find this place proceed to Great Sand Dune NP, about 2.5 miles from the park you'll see a sign pointing off to the left down a road saying San Luis SP. Go down that way several miles and you'll see a sign on the right for the park entrance, the sign is right at the entrance no warning. The road in ia a bit rough but once in the park it is fair paved roads.

There is a covered table and fire ring at each site. The place is windy and high desert.

Cost = 0 per night. My wife has a couple of bars of ATT.

I'll post a couple of photos later if I can get it to work here.

According to the national park San Luis is now a wildlife refuge, not a state park and your supposed to have the Colorado Wildlife Annual Access Pass $43 to use it.  On the wildlife refuge site it states electric will be there until it become prohibitive in cost so use sparingly.  Also, the water is contaminated by the area farming so bring your own water.

https://www.nps.gov/grsa/planyourvisit/area-campgrounds.htm?fullweb=1

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As for the 43 foot class A, there are all sorts of RVs here. I see large fivers and the road in is flat for the most part. So I think you would not have a problem. Maybe half the sites are pull thrus, right now I'd guess the place is 25% occupied.

As for the water, it is all shut off.

I just heard about the permit and will check on it.

One observation, there seems to be no supervision by any officials and yet the place is trash free with no vandalism. On several walk arounds we haven't seen any trash on the ground. The people who insist that campers must be supervised, aka during government shutdowns, should visit this place.

Of course it does not seem to be popular with the ORV crowd either.

Edited by agesilaus

I stayed there two years ago, shortly after San Luis changed from a State Park to the Wildlife Refuge designation.  I was told the change was caused by the water system contamination and the electricity was provided from a hydroelectric contract at no cost to the state, so it was being left on.

There's AT&T and Verizon service in the higher sites, not so much at the lower sites.  Water and dump are available 15 miles down the road at Great Sand Dunes National Park.

Edited by Lou Schneider

6 hours ago, folivier said:

Agesilaus is this Mosca Campground?

Just in case he doesn't return...... here's the web site:  https://www.campbase.com/mosca-campground-san-luis-lake

It appears that's the name of the campground.  There's another Mosca national forest campground in Almont, CO on CR744, Gunnison Rd. so that is different.  It only has 16 sites and a vault toilet; no electric.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, folivier said:

Agesilaus is this Mosca Campground?

Yes and we just left. It costs $36/person for a fishing license according to our neighbor, $72 a couple to stay here. The only other pass I could find is a $120 park pass. After some searching I never found that other rate. I tried to find the supposed guy at athe gate but never found him there so we just packed up and left.

As for the fishing license there is no where to fish on the site. There is a lake but it is much reduced with a 50 foot white boundary of dead algae and such and with the polluted water warning I think it would be ill advised to eat any fish you caught. We are not big fishermen anyway and didn't bring any fishing gear.

It is a beautiful location tho with mountains on three sides. The wind has picked up again. WE moved to South Fork Alpine Trails RV for a week right now. And it's windy here too.

42 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Just in case he doesn't return...... here's the web site:  https://www.campbase.com/mosca-campground-san-luis-lake

It appears that's the name of the campground.  There's another Mosca national forest campground in Almont, CO on CR744, Gunnison Rd. so that is different.  It only has 16 sites and a vault toilet; no electric.

We drove by that yesterday there are several BLM sites around here and a BLM office in the area too so you could probably boondock.

Thanks, we've drove past the dunes a few times but never stopped.  Might stop this summer but that's kinda expensive for a couple nights.  How were the temperatures during the day?

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg