Henry's Topical-cool silicone roofing

GlennWest

I see a lot of people putting this on their roofs. The company gives a never leak warranty with it.They also have a repair product for areas of repair and such. Eterbond tape, etc. Put it on first in those areas then cover the rest with the Topical product. Home Depot sells it. Can never use Dicor on it again. But one can buy small containers for such. I looks good. Three campers in our park have it. I'm considering myself. Thoughts?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I used it on my 10X12 shed and it works exactly as it said it would. I would not hesitate to use it on my motorhome should the need arise. It will and does stick to anything it touches, so use it carefully. Looked good when done and you can decide how thick you want to lay it down.

Stacey Frank
SKP #67438
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA

2015 Cadillac SRX
2019 Tesla Model X

1991 Avanti Convertible

Be sure and read the adhesion test instructions for the product.  The coverage rate is only 1.5 gallons per 100 sq.ft.

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/HE887HS_Silicone_Adhesion_Test_0515.pdf

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

Be sure and read the adhesion test instructions for the product.  The coverage rate is only 1.5 gallons per 100 sq.ft.

https://henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/literature/HE887HS_Silicone_Adhesion_Test_0515.pdf

Thanks, that is interesting. I intend to use the repair and seal product on all the eterbond tape. It is a putty like consitency. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

The problem with silicone based coatings has ling been that when you have to renew them, you'll never get the old coating completely off.  Silicone leaves behind a greasy residue that nothing else will stick to - possibly not even more silicone.

Edited by Lou Schneider

3 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

The problem with silicone based coatings has ling been that when you have to renew them, you'll never get the old coating completely off.  Silicone leaves behind a greasy residue that nothing else will stick to - possibly not even more silicone.

Actually they sell tubes for touch up when needed and the manufacturer says non issue. I am commited though. Just bought it.

I have been thinking of using this product for about 6 months now. The few reviews I have read and messaged people about it sounded good. One said that after 3 years it still looks new and white just like when he applied in. Resisting dirt is a factor for me, but not the main one. I want to pant everything with it. Vents and sky lights. I really do not need light through them, so my thought was it would act as a thermal break and reduce heat loss in the winter and help keep cooler in the summer. The thermal protection is really what interests me the most. As silicone does not transfer heat. I would think my ACs would not nearly work as hard. I would also do the slides as the insulation on the top of them is not that great. As my storage cabinets get warm to hot  when in full sun on hot days. I still need to look into the prep procedure and what it can bond to and not bond to. I have black AC covers up on the roof. I want to paint the upper cap white as I think the ACs will be more efficient. I taped a white plastic trash bag on there and an hour latter the surface was 25° cooler. And this was put on when already hot. My thought with that is that it will be much cooler helping the condenser to become a lot more efficient. 
attachment.php?attachmentid=388748&d=159

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Thanks, that is interesting. I intend to use the repair and seal product on all the eterbond tape. It is a putty like consitency. 

This was even more interesting.

Apply the first coat of Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating at approximately 1.5-gallons per 100 sq. ft. (minimum 11-mils wet) to three (3) test areas. While Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating is still wet, use Henry 296 or Henry 195 Fabric to embed three (3) 1” x 6” strips into each of the wet Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating test areas. Allow 2” of fabric to extend beyond the wet Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating. After embedding the fabric, apply the second coat of Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating at approximately 1.5-gallons per 100 sq. ft. (minimum 11-mils wet) over the fabric to completely cover it. Do not coat the 2” fabric ends. Brush Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone Roof Coating lightly to remove any trapped air.

I had bought a product called "Heng's" Rubber Roof Coating to put on my rubber roof. But my health kind of went side ways, so I called a local RV Tech to do the job. Who ever, or want every the previse owner had put on roof was cracker to H**L. So had to wash it and scrap all the crap off the hollow 40' roof of my 5th wheel. I thinking they had to scrap it 4 times to get the crap off. Come to find out it was a vinyl base product. 

There's something about rubber roof material that puts off a off gas the re-acts with whatever is applied over it.

He applied 2 coats of the Henrys Silicone sealant after days of scraping all vinyl Looks great. He uses the product a lot. He  went over to another trailer that he had done 2 years ago and sent me pictures. Still looks new, might be a little dirty by now.

After reading the directions off the "Heng's" roof coating can, it's a vinyl coating base product. Nothing about using it on rubber roofs period. It's more for metal and wood roofs coatings.

If any one wants 3 gallons of the stuff I've still got it.

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

my storage cabinets get warm to hot  when in full sun on hot days

You may consider putting some rigid foam insulation with a radiant barrier, comes in different thicknesses, in the top part of your cabinets.  It will make a big difference in the temp in those cabinets.

Marcel

I was reading on reviews. The company "Henry" responds on the reviews. One stated he applied the product on his rv roof and where eterbond was it didn't stick to it. "Henry" respond to always use the "repair and seal" on any repair and then the roll on product. Individual followed his advise and reposted worked after that. So I going over all seam, eterbond and such with that paste then roll rest out. 

48 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

We had a discussion about this product on another forum and one of the commentators said not to be stingy and just buy the Dicor product. Well, that product is far more than the Henry's so I will be looking here to see how your experience is.

The big Benefit to Henrys product is the added cooling. I actually got on one in our rv park last week. 90s and full sun. I waked on it barefooted. Mine will blister your feet.

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I was reading on reviews. The company "Henry" responds on the reviews. One stated he applied the product on his rv roof and where eterbond was it didn't stick to it. "Henry" respond to always use the "repair and seal" on any repair and then the roll on product. Individual followed his advise and reposted worked after that. So I going over all seam, eterbond and such with that paste then roll rest out. 

Paste? Do you have a link to the product? Interesting as I have EternaBond tape and every vent, skylight and front and rear cap seems. That was one of my questions if it would stick EternaBond tape. 

Edited by rynosback

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

The big Benefit to Henrys product is the added cooling. I actually got on one in our rv park last week. 90s and full sun. I waked on it barefooted. Mine will blister your feet.

I would think that it would not transfer the cold also. 

Edited by rynosback

• 2 weeks later...

Well started on it today. Used the repair and patch part. It goes on with a putty knife. Very thick. Covered all the etrnabond, lots of it with repmoving acs , skylight and cover for cassette. Took 3 gallons. I am sore. 

Used it on an old bus conversion with aluminum roof, really helped. Did have some dark painted stripes that took 4 or 5 coats to cover. Agree it really reflects the heat.

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

Finished my roof yesterday. Went on easy. I did use pressure washer on it first. It really cleaned it. Removed all caulking. Looks terrific. Feels very cool. Only bad part, so hot yesterday. Had to wait till morning dew dried off. But it done and we are content with it. As far as cooler inside, it has to help since it repells heat. But we were comfortable inside before.

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Finished my roof yesterday. Went on easy. I did use pressure washer on it first. It really cleaned it. Removed all caulking. Looks terrific. Feels very cool. Only bad part, so hot yesterday. Had to wait till morning dew dried off. But it done and we are content with it. As far as cooler inside, it has to help since it repells heat. But we were comfortable inside before.

Look forward to hearing your feedback over the next couple of weeks. Did you do your slide tops also?

I put masking tape on slide wiper seal. applied to it. So about 2ish inches not covered. Really not concened about that. That is not edpm. It is in great shape. Our roof was in bad shape. Black was showing in spots. This Slouth Texas heat really worked on it. Pretty and white now.