Cappi

Lithium battery

I want to replace wetcell batteries with lithium battery. Will one battery be fine? It’s the BattleBorn brand and nearly a 1000 bucks. 

I am sure there are a lot of people that can help with this but they will need a little more information.   Will you be plugged in or boondocking?   What is the battery setup you plan to replace and did it function for you or are you looking for more power?  Battleborn are good batteries but expensive.  Many feel these are worth it in the right setup but care must be taken to properly charge and care for these.

I replaced four lead-acid batteries with two 100 Ah lithium batteries from Renogy. I got them on sale for around $700 each so it is worth watching for sales. 

How many you need depends completely on what you use them for.  If you boondock regularly and use an inverter much you will need to do an energy audit or at least get equivalent usable capacity to what you have now, assuming that it is sufficient. Lithium batteries will tolerate a deeper discharge than lead-acid so it is not an amp-hour for amp-hour comparison.  If you only use your batteries once in a while for lights, water pump, etc. it is probably not worth the expense to change over to lithium.

To optimize their use you will need to set up your charger for lithium chemistry rather than lead-acid chemistry. BattleBorn has some good information regarding various chargers and solat controllers and how to configure them. 

A basic rule if there even is one.   LiFePo4 will provide 80% or 90% of their AH. Lead chemistry about 50% rated AH. Plus LiFePo holds near the same voltage top to bottom. I am converting my 460ah  GC2 system to LiFePo 200ah. The GC2 is oversize to start. Rod Collins has about the best read on the subject here:: https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/

Consider your maximum load.   A  single Battleborn 100 amp hour battery is limited to 100 amps continuous. If you have an inverter, it may draw more than that.  

Yes, we want to boondock mostly and recharge while driving or use the generator an hour or two a day. We have regular deep cycle wetcell batteries now. Our dealer will have to change the converter setup they said. 

Battleborn states that their batteries will work with just about any converter designed for lead acid batteries.  You may not be able to fully charge them unless your converter meets the voltage requirements.  When I switched, I went from a WFCO converter that never got into the bulk mode charging a pair of 6V batteries to a Progressive Dynamics converter designed for lithium.  I went with a smaller converter because I carry a 900 watt generator that would be overloaded if the original converter (a 55 amp) went into bulk.

If interested, here is a link to my conversion.  I dry camped for 71 days last winter without needing a generator.

9 hours ago, Cappi said:

Yes, we want to boondock mostly and recharge while driving or use the generator an hour or two a day. We have regular deep cycle wetcell batteries now. Our dealer will have to change the converter setup they said. 

I just got a notification from Renogy that they are running a 15% off sale.  That would put their 100 Ah battery at around $765. Just FYI.  No affiliation. 

There is also currently a sale on the Lion Energy UT1300's. (105ah/1344wh) until July 5th. It's $1400 for 2 105ah Lion Energy UT1300's with free shipping in the CONUS. You can reach out directly to me for more info. They are physically smaller than the battle born batteries and have full BMS protection. They do have a basic 5 light SOC right on each battery. Comes in handy if you are troubleshooting a dead battery. I've installed several BB & UT1300 batteries in rigs and both are very nice.  

The one thing I do like with the Lion's is they do support up to a 150amp discharge per battery. Really not an issue if you run more than 1, but if someone is running only 1 lithium, the BB can hit their BMS protection with say a microwave, while the Lion easily handles that load. 

Edited by BlueLghtning

On my sprinter class c,  have a progressive dynamics pd 4060K, it actually has a setting for constant voltage [lithium] as well as the normal 3 stage charger for lead acids. Might check, will save you a couple of hundred if you don't have to change it out. Some inverter/chargers also have lithium settings.