Are Craigslist PUPs all scams?

tobinduby

After responding to some 20 listings on Craigslist, most didn't respond, and the ones who did were scams.  Is Craigslist not a good place to shop PUPs?  Do I just need to raise my price point (I was looking only at $3000 or less)?  Is there a more reputable way to locate used PUPs?  I'm assuming dealers are going to be more expensive, so I want to buy private if possible.  Thanks!

I suspect it is the timing that's a problem. Most people are not yet willing to meet face-to-face so are probably waiting to post for when they are more comfortable doing so.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I have bought some things on craigslist but it is a hassle trying to avoid the scams.  Last year I was looking for a backhoe and noticed the same backhoe listed in several states.  Eventually I kind of figured out that ads that were less likely to be scams.  Finally found what I wanted but I still don't know what the scammers are up to.  I have also  bought somethings from Facebook marketplace.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

If by PUP you mean pickup trucks, then with a price point of $3000 you won't find much worth owning even if not a scam. I have bought from and sold via Craig's list a few times and not had any problems. May I ask why you think that a dealer would be more expensive? I doubt that you would find anything on the lot of new car dealers that price so low as they simply do not keep any in that range but sell them to a wholesaler or auction house. I just checked Car Max for the Dallas area and while they only sell used vehicles, the lowest priced truck on the lots in this area was a 2012 that is listed for $13k. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

"PUP" is often used as an acronym for "Pop UP" trailers...

My first thought; potentially unwanted program =PUP. Next thought;why?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

23 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

"PUP" is often used as an acronym for "Pop UP" trailers...

I'd say that you are correct as I just checked his profile and his interest is "pop up campers." If you go to RV Trader, low to high prices you will find some that are in the price range he is looking for. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 months later...

I was looking at a pop up on Criagslist. Turned out to be a scam. Crazy how knowledgeable he was. He didn't get me. Things to look out for: communicating through email and app number only, won't show you in person, wants payment in giftcards (big giveaway), process through "ebay", and customer service number doesn't match Ebay's real customer service number. 

The scammers have just about ruined Craigslist.  If you look at RV's or just plain Trailers section, you'll see they're selling the same 2008 Casita trailer all over the USA.  They even use the same photos.  Lot's of cell phone scams.  There used to be a way to report them.  I guess they work, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Lot's of legitimate sellers have moved over to Facebook Market Place.  I don't do Facebook though.

A few years back I inquired about a 32' motorhome listing on Craigslist that claimed it was about 75 miles from me. When I said I wanted to come inspect it, he told me I couldn't because it was already in a crate ready to ship if I sent him a $1000 refundable deposit. If I didn't like it when it arrived, I could just send it back for a full refund. Sure I could... How's that go about "born last night"? ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

The scammers have just about ruined Craigslist.  If you look at RV's or just plain Trailers section, you'll see they're selling the same 2008 Casita trailer all over the USA.  They even use the same photos.  Lot's of cell phone scams.  There used to be a way to report them.  I guess they work, or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Lot's of legitimate sellers have moved over to Facebook Market Place.  I don't do Facebook though.

I flag any CL ads that are obvious scams . They don't stay up long . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I flag any CL ads that are obvious scams . They don't stay up long . ;)

Used to be, if you flagged an ad, Craigslist would investigate it and within a few days it would go away.  Now, when you flag it, it just isn't available to you anymore but is still posted.  Next time you see one, save it as a bookmark.  Then, flag it.  It will no longer be available to you when you view the category, but it's still on the site and you can see it by going to the bookmark.  When you view it through the bookmark, you can unhide it.

In other words, flagging an ad just hides it from your view.

23 hours ago, durangodon said:

Used to be, if you flagged an ad, Craigslist would investigate it and within a few days it would go away.  Now, when you flag it, it just isn't available to you anymore but is still posted.  Next time you see one, save it as a bookmark.  Then, flag it.  It will no longer be available to you when you view the category, but it's still on the site and you can see it by going to the bookmark.  When you view it through the bookmark, you can unhide it.

In other words, flagging an ad just hides it from your view.

Well , I guess they took the easy way out . 

I don't use CL much for anything anymore anyway . I might look for something once in 6 months or more . Everything is more easily available elsewhere and shipped to my door . I figure if I want 'used' I can just hit a garage/yard sale . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

• 2 weeks later...

For me:

Pup = dog or Puppers or Puppy.

PUP = Possibly Unwanted Programs found by antimalware programs. I delete them all after a quick glance at what they actually are.

Pickup trucks are Pickups. Six letters in the singular.

I have found clarity counts online so for things that are being sold or bought, just write it out.

Dutch the last night  goes: "I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night!"

I don't use Craigslist (CL) because of the scams. CL has a good anonymous email system so when folks want you or me to use an direct gmail address they are selling live emails addresses to spammers.

If I sell there it is local only, cash only no shipping, no money orders. If I want to ship I will go through eBay or Amazon as a seller there. I of course already buy there.

The Money orders are fake from many scammers and they have just enough time to change all their contacts before the seller finds out they lost the whole thing.

The third party buyer scammer have an actual agent that receives and reships the goods and is the Patsy left holding the bag for police, although they skedaddle too.

I just sold a Subaru Baja on FB Marketplace last Sunday. A couple drove up from Ft. Worth with 65 one hundred dollar bills from their bank. They got a helluva deal, and I had to find a local bank to issue a bank check to scan to USAA. THeir colorado springs offices are closed and their drive through lanes are ATMs, no teller at the end of a drawer or tube with video screens.

I told them we will wear masks until this is over and asked if they had any issues with wearing masks and they did not. Great People. Maybe we will meet when no masks are required.

Safe travels, buying and selling online!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

If I sell there it is local only, cash only no shipping, no money orders

X2. Because we live in a secure building, we have people come here by appointment to pick up product but meet them out front. Before Covid-19, of course.  Now we would place the product between the two sets of doors for them to pick up so we wouldn't actually meet face to face since they can't get through the second set of doors.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think we've pretty well established that in this thread the OP is referring to PopUP trailers...

Yep, two letters more than Pup. Pickup is three more letters.😎

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire