New To RVing

Hey so I am new to this lifestyle and just bought an RV since i have decided to go on a discomfort seeking mission. The plan is to go around all of Europe starting from Turkey in a few months from now. Basically what i want to know is everything that i am going to need for this venture, be it a tool kit, a set of tyres or any modification the RV before setting off. Appreciate any input and ideas.

P.S I have a truck camper

Edited by michaelnielson95

Welcome to the Escapee forums! While many of us here have been traveling by RV for many years, very few of us have done so in Europe. As for mechanical tools to carry, I would fist as myself how much mechanical repair I have the skills to do and will I be in places where qualified mechanics are difficult to find? Remember that tools are quite heavy and your truck has weight limits to be concerned with. If you overload the truck it will be difficult and uncomfortable to drive and the excess weight will impact the reliability of the truck since it is only designed to carry a specified amount of weight. Excessive weight will also increase tire wear. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That sounds like a great trip!

Kirk is right about tools weighing a lot and that you shouldn’t get carried away with buying tools, especially if you aren’t handy and have little idea how to use them.

The other thing that you have to deal with is that you are going to be going in a truck camper, and you won’t have as much storage space as someone with a larger RV like a motor home or a trailer.  I’ve seen lists of things RVers could/should have that goes on for pages - far too much stuff to carry in a truck camper.  So when you are outfitting it - think small, light and multi-tasking.  Nesting pots, collapsible bowls, minimal plates/silverware, etc.

Is your TC a European one?  If not, then research how to convert systems to match European standards (power especially).  I think even if I had a European spec camper, I’d still try to be power independent as much as possible.

Good luck with it!

We practiced at home before packing to see how little we really needed. For instance, deciding how often you are willing to stop at a laundromat helps determine how many clothes you need to bring. In the process we discovered jeans are heavy so I switched to cotton slacks which also dry faster. Experimenting is good.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Look into modifications needed for European campgrounds.  So you're shipping a truck and RV to Europe?  Would have probably been cheaper to buy one over there and sell it before returning to the U.S.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Should not be very hard to do.  Minimalist is the way to go.  We traveled around Europe for 4 years, myself, wife and 2 young kids in a 6-man dome tent and large car.  Only carried the necessaries and picked up perishables, etc as we went.  Well, was not 4 years total travel time, more like weekend here, week there, I was active duty military.  Was fun!  Enjoy the trip!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.