Slightly Different Mattress Issue

RandV

After two years of barely acceptable comfort, we decided we had to replace or improve the original mattress in our TT. Before our four month trip last year we added a 2" foam topper which was an improvement, but not much of one. 

Our TT has a Murphy Bed (which we love). Some toppers were quite heavy, and I was afraid that when the bed was up (vertical) the pad would slide down, especially as we drove for hours. So I found a lightweight one. BTW, it would slide down a little occasionally, but it wasn't a problem. 

At the time I also shopped for a new mattress. Again, some were very heavy, and I didn't find a lightweight option that seemed good. One seemed okay, but when I spoke to the maker they said they did not recommend any of their mattresses for use on a murphy bed. 

Has anyone had any experience with mattress replacement for a murphy bed? Or with a good topper? It's a short queen, which limits choices somewhat. We're leaving on another four month trip soon, so I've got to do something about this.

Conventional or foam okay, but price is an issue - just can't go over $500, less is even better. I know that's not much, but I was surprised at how many inexpensive well-reviewed mattresses I found. Height isn't really an issue, there's about 11" available, but weight is. I want to add as little as possible.

Thanks!

Check out Mattressinsider.com. I got ride of my sleep number and got a memory foam from them for $550. It is very light. They will even make a custom one for you in size and number of layers. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

16 hours ago, RandV said:

Height isn't really an issue, there's about 11" available, but weight is.

13 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I got ride of my sleep number and got a memory foam

Our memory foam mattress at home and the memory foam topper in the RV are both quite heavy. The mattress is also very flexible and difficult to move so I suspect that it would tend to end in a pile at the bottom when the bed is in travel position. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 6/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, Twotoes said:

Check out Mattressinsider.com. I got ride of my sleep number and got a memory foam from them for $550. It is very light. They will even make a custom one for you in size and number of layers. 

Another vote for Mattress Insider.  We purchased a latex foam mattress from them ~6 months ago and are very satisfied.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels