socaltoolguy

Need advice on choosing a Toad!

Hi everybody, it's been a long while since I posted anything here on Escapees but now I find myself in a quandry. We just purchased a 2004 Monaco LaPalma 37 foot motor home and I'm searching for a suitable Toad. I would like to stay under 4000 lbs. It must have an automatic trans and be a good all around everyday vehicle. It will be our only car. I'm having a terrible time finding out which brands and models/years will work. We'd really love to have a Honda CRV but finding out the straight truth from anybody in the car industry is worse than a trip to the dentist. Can anybody here who has first hand experience fill in the blanks for me? I tried going to the owner's manual site but there is absolutely nothing listed in the manual regarding 4 down towing. At least not that I could find. So, with that said, I'm all ears as to which vehicle is best for us. I'd prefer not to have to install a Remco fluid pump system. Been there and done that. Any other brand model suggestions will be greatly appreciated also. Thanks to all who choose to join this conversation.

Ray

The biggest issue is the Automatic transmission. most don't pump fluid through the unit unless the engine is running. If you need an automatic I would look into a small SUV that will take a driveshaft disconnect. Of course the newer Jeeps are really good at flat towing. shift the transfer cased in neutral and the steering wheel doesn't lock.  Some of the other suvs have the ability to flat tow, but I would personally avoid unibody vehicles. The jeeps and such have real frames.

Take a look at the Chevy Equinox. You can do an internet search for the Chevy owner's manuals and they will have specifics for each model year on which ones are flat towable. And they are under 4,000 lbs, very similar to CRV in weight. I'm planning to move from a 2002 Honda CRV (which has been a great toad) to a Chevy Equinox in the near future. It's also a great everyday vehicle, I've rented one twice to make sure I like it and I LOVE it. Hertz has a rent to buy program where you can rent one for 2 or 3 days and then buy it if you like it. For 2020, all Equinox will be flat towable. For other years, it is only certain models. You can pick up a used late model Equinox for under 20K, New about 26K.

The Motorhome Magazine's Dinghy Towing Guides that miniedmo gave the link to, above, is a good place to start.

Keep in mind, though, that these towing guides list only those vehicles that are approved by the manufacturer for towing 4-down.  There are others that can be towed 4-down either as is, or with the addition of equipment such as a lube pump.  To find out whether or not a specific vehicle can be towed 4-down if it's not listed in the towing guides, go to Remco Towing's website.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:18 PM, socaltoolguy said:

We'd really love to have a Honda CRV but finding out the straight truth from anybody in the car industry is worse than a trip to the dentist. Can anybody here who has first hand experience fill in the blanks for me?

The CR-V ceased to be flat towable in 2015 when they brought out the CVT transmission. 

Just posted our Chevy HHR for sale, in the dingy tow behind section. It has worked great for us, we are just looking to get a Jeep. Your supposed to pull fuse #8 so the battery does not die, i put a switch to bypass it, making it easy to get ready to tow.

Good luck!