Downsizing and filtering of stuff - when did fun start for you?

noteven

I’ve been full timing for 3-1/2 yrs but I still had the stix and brix that owned me. Rented it but the renter found property to own them and another party wants to be owned by my place and offered to buy it so it all works out.

Anyways in the process of dealing with the stuff that owns me right now. 

Is it normal to select a few key “things” to keep and enjoy watching the rest of it get out of one’s life?

Anyone else feel more freedom as the pile gets smaller?

Will the Economic Consumer Police have an apb out on me?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We kept too much but we manged to get rid of a lot. It gave us a sense of peace and satisfaction when we reached that point. Almost like a renewal. The reason we kept so much we thought we were going to buy a S&B in a couple years and have changed our mind for now. Even if we bought an S&B we have too much.

I got rid of a ton of stuff in about a month, but I did keep some things.  I have a storage unit with a few pieces of furniture (one 18th century, and another a chest made by my great grandfather (or was it a great, great grandfather - my sister knows).  A couple of other things that I was more willing to pay to keep than to find a home for.  And that's how I looked at everything - was I willing  to pay to keep each item.  I got rid of some stuff that I thought I would never get rid of, and kept a couple of things that I might have otherwise expected to sell.  I got rid of all the souvenirs I had acquired on various travels and locations where I lived over the years.

Yes, it was very freeing to get rid of 40+ years worth of life junk one accumulates, 20 years in the same house.  I thought I might get melancholy about it all, but it really was a relief.  I hedged with what's in the storage unit - I have just enough furniture to outfit an apartment somewhere if I decide that full-timing isn't for me.  I'm still in my first year, so don't really know how long I'll stay on the road.

26 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

I have a storage unit with a few pieces of furniture (one 18th century, and another a chest made by my great grandfather (or was it a great, great grandfather - my sister knows).  A couple of other things that I was more willing to pay to keep than to find a home for.  And that's how I looked at everything - was I willing  to pay to keep each item.  

Just curious.... do you have them stored in a climate-controlled place to preserve them?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We rented a 5x5 climate controlled storage unit because we started out in a Class B with very limited carrying capacity. The we sold or donated or trashed everything else. It was very freeing. When we moved into a Class A we only kept the things we cared most about and got rid of the storage unit. That was even more freeing. Out of all that, the only we things we missed were some Tupperware lids, which we since replaced, and some specialty clothes for traveling which are not being sold anymore. Given how much stuff we had, that's pretty good.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We had an extensive antique china collection that I initially thought would be upsetting to get rid of.  It wasn't. We have a couple of antique items scattered around the MH most of which are held down with museum putty as we drive.  We kept a >100 year old crystal lamp that belonged to my grandmother.  It too is "glued" down and jingles as we drive.

During the past ~9 years we have driven over 65k miles around North America and have visited every bucket list item we've ever had and lots more we didn't know about.  No "stuff" could ever replace that!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We had no problem getting rid of stuff but I was 45, she 43 when we retired as I retired from the AF. We knew we would do it for ten years or so but actually did seven years full-time, '94 - '03. We only had a few antiques and the family pics and home videos. The silver and China settings for 8, and some art. Then we left them with the kids and parents until we were done. So go for it. Here's our take on it on our website :

http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id65.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 6/4/2020 at 1:59 PM, 2gypsies said:

Just curious.... do you have them stored in a climate-controlled place to preserve them?

The storage unit is air cooled (swamp coolers), not completely climate controlled.  I checked it out on an over 100F day before I signed the paperwork and the 1st floor unit I chose was comfortable, the upstairs units were fine, but warmer.    I thought a lot about what to keep and what to sell/give away/donate etc. and was well aware that there’s a good chance I’ll spend more in storage fees than what the antiques are worth (no one wants them any more), depending on how long I’m on the road.  There’s also a good chance that I’ll decide to get rid of more stuff in a year or two if I decide to stay full-timing (I was keeping my options open when I sold the house - I know people who full-timed for a year and then decide that they wanted a home base and 4 real walls around them on a regular basis).

I watched my Mom move from a large condo to a smaller independent living apartment, assisted living, skilled nursing..  She kept downsizing, giving what she wasn’t going to keep to me and my sister, but still keeping some of her things as she downsized, things she treasured.  As I was getting rid of most of my belongings I imagined myself at 90, like my Mom, and wondering what I would want to have around me as my world shrinks.  I was often surprised at the answers - some things I would have thought I’d never get rid of went away without any pain or regret.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:52 PM, noteven said:

Is it normal to select a few key “things” to keep and enjoy watching the rest of it get out of one’s life?

Anyone else feel more freedom as the pile gets smaller?

I think that most who go fulltime RVing and stay out for more than a few years do find a great deal of the freedom comes for no longer allowing one's possessions to own them. The greatest degree of freedom comes when you keep no storage at all and everything that you own travels with you. In addition, if you stay on the road for 10 years or more, very quickly the expense of storage will exceed the replacement cost of all but you heirlooms. 

We stayed on the road for 12 years when health demanded we have a home-base again, we moved into a community of nearly all former fulltimers. We quickly found that most members of that community never did return to a lifestyle ruled by possessions. We have now moved from that community of former fulltimers into an independent living community. As friendly as our present community is, there is nothing quite like the bond that develops in the fulltimer community. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To answer part of your question. I started down down sizing 5 months after my first love passed suddenly. I took my daughter through the house and asked what did they want. The answers were I want that, I will take that and keep that and we will decide later. The son-in-laws was given the same choices on tools.  With that, most of the remainder was donated, sold or burn over the next 3 1/2 years. I still depend on a small storage unit for some tools, but basically everything fit into my pickup and 35 foot fifth wheel. Did I miss some stuff, not really except tools. I now have a both a bigger truck and fifth-wheel but doing fine and keeping busy.

Biggest problem now is handling the Christmas gifts I received. Not everyone believes gift cards are appropriate gifts.

Clay    Now questioning do I down size again after being at Mayo's Clinic this week?

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 7:33 AM, Kirk W said:

I think that most who go fulltime RVing and stay out for more than a few years do find a great deal of the freedom comes for no longer allowing one's possessions to own them. The greatest degree of freedom comes when you keep no storage at all and everything that you own travels with you. In addition, if you stay on the road for 10 years or more, very quickly the expense of storage will exceed the replacement cost of all but you heirlooms. 

We stayed on the road for 12 years when health demanded we have a home-base again, we moved into a community of nearly all former fulltimers. We quickly found that most members of that community never did return to a lifestyle ruled by possessions. We have now moved from that community of former fulltimers into an independent living community. As friendly as our present community is, there is nothing quite like the bond that develops in the fulltimer community. 

Kirk W: Thanks for sharing your perspective! I love the way you' seem to have navigated the various seasons of life. Very inspirational!!!

4 hours ago, NewSeason said:

I love the way you' seem to have navigated the various seasons of life.

I am hoping to continue navigating for quite a few years yet, but thanks for the kind remarks! I remember may dad, who was 35 when I was born, on his 75th birthday commented about how quickly old age came to him. At the time I thought that was funny, but now that I'm past 75 it makes a lot of sense.  ☺️

We were planning on retiring in 2020.  In January 2018 Jinx, my ever courageous wife, said what if we retire now.  I jumped at the idea.  We'd spent the previous summer in the RV on a lake (not traveling) so we knew roughly what we could keep in it.  The first thing we did was decide what we could keep.  We then gave the kids  first choice of things. That left a house still full  We sold off the valuable things and put the house on the market. We found someone who agreed to empty and clean out the house for the remaining items and a few thousand dollars. We have one box of stuff at a daughter's house.

Do we miss it?  Not at all.  The things that truly carried memories are with the kids.  The rest was just stuff.

BTW, every spring and fall we still thin out the "stuff".  It accretes in the RV over time.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

When we were in the process of downsizing I stored a backhoe on eBay. Never paid 1 cent in storage fees.

The old backhoe has been stored for 15 years.  If I ever want a backhoe again I may get one out of eBay storage.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

• 2 months later...

I sold my house in April 2020 (during the beginning of the pandemic, total shutdown) to live in my 27' Class C RV.  This was in anticipation of retirement in April 2021 and some U.S. travel (that's kind of on hold at the moment). I rented a 5X10 storage unit near my sister where I've kept family heirlooms and items I'm attached to (in a climate controlled unit). Other than that I needed to get rid of everything i owned (which included my mother's household after she passed away).  I live in Washington State and we had a complete shutdown at the beginning of Covid.  No garage sales, no thrift stores open or donations accepted, the dump was closed.  No estate sale as I didn't have enough 'value' in my items (I kept all the good stuff).  So I secretly let my friends and neighbors know I was having an informal 'free stuff' day.  They cleaned me OUT!  Only minor items left behind.  Left some things for the new buyers as well (after getting their approval of course). 

Is it freeing?  I'll say it is!  I don't feel so overwhelmed by stuff or the big mortgage & utility bills.  Or maintenance costs.  I keep saying i have too much stuff in my RV even.  Do i miss all that stuff?  Not much - just a couple of items.  For the most part I can't even remember what I had!!  

• 1 month later...

sad for me i am a collector, it is hard for me to sell off anything.

at 61, only 6 years to go and having all the family things collected (not just by me), i have no family to give or hold onto things. once my mom is gone. i am the last.

trying to sell off things, but most have no moneys or intrest to buy at this time. then all the family photos? as i sit here all i can think of is a bonfire for all my junk.

would the mormans want the family history for the archives? no we have never been any other than christian. just i heard they archive everything about everybody.

Edited by packnrat

On 1/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, McTumbleweed said:

Is it freeing?  I'll say it is! 

Welcome to the Escapees RV Club and forums! Please do join in often as new members are a much needed breath of fresh air! 

On 1/20/2021 at 7:36 PM, McTumbleweed said:

Do i miss all that stuff?  Not much - just a couple of items.  For the most part I can't even remember what I had!!  

Isn't it great?! All I missed were one set of Tupperware lids and I bought them second hand later. Freeing, indeed!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van