Extended warranty

Zman65

Hey All,

I am purchasing a new TT and they are pushing the extended warranty. I never bite on these when buying a car and so far haven't regret it. However this is my first TT and wanted to know your thoughts on worth it or not.

thx

I am fairly handy so I wouldn't buy it.  We have friends that bought an extended warranty for their MH and are glad they did.  There are some things that can go wrong in an RV.  Are you willing to deal with these?  Extended warranties are like insurance and like insurance it isn't cheap.  The small print is also important.  I know this probably not real helpful but it is a gamble either way.  The dealer usually receives a kickback if you purchase it so they will push it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

If purchasing something with a motor and a transmission it may be good to have an extended warranty as a back up, especially if it is used. But you are buying a new TT with a one year warranty from the manufacturer. Also most all of the components ( appliances, refer, microwave, water pump, heater etc.) come with their own warranty usually two years. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

An extended warranty is actually a health insurance plan for the RV. You should look at that much as you would for any other insurance. You buy insurance on your stick house because if the worst should happen with your home the result would be a financial disaster. But only rarely does anyone save money when they buy homeowner's insurance. The same is true for any extended warranty. How critical would it be if your RV should have a major failure? For the first year everything is covered by an existing warranty that came with the purchase, so you don't need it until the second year. If you have the financial ability to pay for any needed repairs after that, then you probably should not buy one, but if the need to repair or replace your most expensive appliances would spell disaster, or if you would lay awake at night worrying about the risk, then you probably should buy one. 

Remember that all insurance is sold buy a business which means that the total changed must exceed the total paid out in any year so only those who have a major repair, or a series of them, even actually save money by buying insurance. Yet there are times when that expense is justified in order to remove the risk involved. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thx all.  I was discussing with my friend last night. He bought one but found out last week it doesn't cover window seals or gaskets. His is just over a year old as well. The guy trying to sell us one said it covers bumper to bumper except "normal wear and tear"... Sounds kinda vague. What is considered normal wear/tear.

19 hours ago, Zman65 said:

Hey All,

I am purchasing a new TT and they are pushing the extended warranty. I never bite on these when buying a car and so far haven't regret it. However this is my first TT and wanted to know your thoughts on worth it or not.

thx

I've only bought extended ins on rv related equipment (1) time and that was years ago when I had just started rving.  IMO, The rv industry quality leaves a lot to be desired and so called salespeople use this to sell "scare" insurance.  My advise is to wait untill the warranty that comes with what your buying is close to ending then maybe address again.  Companies selling this type of insurance will still be there and will still want to sell .   BTW, when I did purchase the insurance (1) time, the price "is/should" be negotiable as we ended up paying 60% less than then the original quote.

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

They are actually ESP … Extended service plans that will clearly define what is or is not covered. We have the cornerstone plan and are happy with it. There is no sense buying it while the RV is still under the factory warranty we purchased when the factory was about to expire.

There are many things that can fail in these things that can be very expensive to repair. If you feel you can repair  or afford the repair of anything that may fail save the money. We did not fall in that group.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

23 hours ago, Zman65 said:

The guy trying to sell us one said it covers bumper to bumper except "normal wear and tear"... Sounds kinda vague. What is considered normal wear/tear.

There are two types of extended warranty, inclusive and exclusive. The inclusive ones cover everything on a list of things covered and nothing more. The exclusive contracts cover everything except the listed items. You want to have the type that covers all items except the ones listed, and be sure that you read every word of that contract before you buy. What we did was to ask for a copy of the contract to take home and study prior to purchase. If the sellers would not provide a copy to take home I did not do business with them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As Kirk posted  read and understand the contract understand the terms of the contract.  

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.