"Hatchet job" on RVing

docj

With RVing as popular as it is in the US, it's hard to understand what the purpose is of writing a one-sided put-down of the lifestyle in what purports to be a "consumer oriented" publication.  Sure, each element of the article is technically true, but when the writer includes management of waste tanks as one of the "13 reasons you will regret having an RV" the intrinsic bias of the article starts to be exposed.  Similarly, including "you'll need insurance" as another of the "13 reasons" further demonstrates that this isn't a real effort to discuss the pros and cons of RVing; it's simply an effort to put down a lifestyle that the writer clearly dislikes.  The remainder of the list are pretty much just as trivial and biased.

Normally, I would simply ignore the article, but I had thought that Kiplinger was capable of better content than this.   13 Reasons You Will Regret an RV in Retirement

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Any article with numbered "reasons" to do/don't do anything get a firm "Nope" from me. Instant sign of hack writing.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Thanks, Doc.   I am quite surprised at this article.   Seems like a 'hit job' for unknown purposes.   I am well aware of Kiplinger's Newsletter... Respectable... but I never used their services.   Indeed, I have a 70 year-old friend just buy his (and wife's) first motorhome.   Interesting world nowadays.     

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Hmm , most of the articles 13 'points' can also be applied to any other style of life , in varying degrees . 

Seems a waste of time , but , the writer might even have been paid for it . Maybe Kiplinger is running out of useful material ?  

Goes around , comes around .

I noticed in both articles that two contributors were the same.... Charley Hannigan and Nancy Fasoldt.... so they're both for and against RVing.  Strange.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Apparently the writer interviewed that group of people for both pros and cons, then separated them into two different articles. That way he is credited with writing two articles on the subject.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

"so they're both for and against RVing."

To be fair, that just appears to be one of their writing styles (pro/con) that they've apparently used many times before.   They are the authors, so get to choose their style.

IMO, there was an error.  The "pro" article has a link to the "con" article, but the con article links to a different topic.  I suspect the editor failed to also include a link to the "pro", rather than the author.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Parks are getting crowded. Might work in our favor. Oh. Am I being bad. 

Glenn, I was thinking the same thing.  If you don't like your favorite places or past times getting crowded, write an article telling everyone to stay away.  I could write a loonnnnggg article on why folks should stay away from the mountains in the summer.😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If both versions were put into one article with pro & con it would make it much more balanced. There is really very little that I would disagree with in either article, other than the presentation. If we had someone like Independent Lady still reading the forums, I am sure she would endorse the first one posted by Joel. Having been active in the RV related internet forums now for more about 30 years, I assure you that many of those who make a first post to announce that they are getting ready to become fulltimers live to regret that decision, just as Independent Lady did. I don't have any scientific data to support my opinion, but I would suspect that of those who try the lifestyle, fewer than half stay with fulltime for as much as 5 years and that may be an optimistic estimate. The US Census Bureau estimates that there are 45 million retirees in the US as of 2019 and most estimate fulltimers at about 1 million, so obviously this isn't the life for the majority. And all of this ignores the families and still working people who are living on the road. 

It has long been my belief that we who frequent the RV forums are guilty of failing to caution the newest people that join the forums of the challenges that go with living in an RV fulltime or even for extended periods. We tend to promote the positives because only those of us who love the lifestyle stay here to reply to those coming here to learn more. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

48 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It has long been my belief that we who frequent the RV forums are guilty of failing to caution the newest people that join the forums of the challenges that go with living in an RV fulltime or even for extended periods. We tend to promote the positives because only those of us who love the lifestyle stay here to reply to those coming here to learn more. 

My "standard" response to folks that we meet who say "Oh, I'd love to do what you're doing!!" is that full-time RVing is not for everyone, and in fact it isn't for most people. It is a very specific and unusual lifestyle choice that has enormous trade-offs that have to be considered. 

I don't recall the gentleman's name who posted frequently on the forums for about a year regarding his plans to  go full-time and getting out of Cleveland (?).  It turned out that his main concerns/hurdles were being able to follow the Cleveland Browns and having reliable. affordable full-time access to high-speed internet as he spends most of his time inside on the computer or watching television.  To his credit he eventually determined that full-time RV'ing wasn't a good fit for him and he sold the travel trailer that he'd bought for that purpose. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

The title is just clickbait, probably not even worded by the person who wrote the article.  In general, the "negatives" have at least some connection to truth (you do have to get rid of your stuff, you do have to get proper insurance, etc.).  Considering the intended audience which is people who know absolutely zero about fulltiming, I don't have a real problem with the article.  After all, on Facebook most every day someone asks burning questions like "what kind of toilet paper" or "how do I find a campground."  They are the target audience of the article.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

I really don't know if my DW will take to the full time travel lifestyle. We are full time in our camper as we have no stick and bricks. My jobs dictate where we go. She don't get out much so we will see. I enjoy seeing different parts of the country. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

19 hours ago, DanZemke said:

docj,

I just skimmed the article and haven't read the attached.  Put it turns out this article (by the same author) was also posted today.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/retirement/T037-S001-reasons-you-will-want-to-retire-in-an-rv/index.html

Great catch -- pretty funny.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

10 best restaurants
Top 10 states to retire to
5 Stock to own in 2020
Worst 10 states for taxes
10 reasons to move to Arizona
10 reasons to move to Texas
5 Healthy states to live in

This is the nature or article writing today.  It started about five or ten years ago when writing for the internet could make some serious money.  Now, the serious money has probably diminished and feature stories are rife with top, worst, best, etc. etc. stories.  RV life style is just another "attract eyeballs" story.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Bingo.   We're hoping to take advantage of the recent slowdown in the trucking industry to up-grade our hauler.  I'm finding nice three y/o road tractors ready to be converted to MH status for about half the sticker of a new dually.   Big fifth wheels and motorhomes will soon follow.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net