Domitec fridge runs too cold

I'm not sure what plastic piece you mean? Is it save to assume that you have adjusted the cooling control to it's lowest setting? Also, what model refrigerator do you have? 

One problem that some RV refrigerators sometimes have is a pooling effect of the cold air inside so that it creates a colder area at the bottom or in a corner due to poor air circulation inside of the chill box. If that is you problem it cam be improved by the addition of an interior fan and there are fans made for that purpose. We keep two of them inside of our RV refrigerator. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX4zLs-LVHcB7EQnd2O

These are available at most RV supply stores. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I believe the "plastic piece" is the thermistor. It's used in temp control of the ice box, and thus the refrigerator. If it fails, the fridge goes into maximum cooling mode. There is a test available, if you have a test meter.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Telling us the model of your Dometic refrigerator will be of great help, as each model has different controls.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I believe the "plastic piece" is the thermistor. It's used in temp control of the ice box, and thus the refrigerator. If it fails, the fridge goes into maximum cooling mode. There is a test available, if you have a test meter.

You may be right, since most RV refrigerators go to a "constant cool" mode if the thermistor should fail. Even without knowing the model, you could check for either an open or a shorted one. 

9 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Telling us the model of your Dometic refrigerator will be of great help, as each model has different controls.

your right its a DM2672 and the plastic thing is the thermistor fridge is new as well as the camper t the probe attached to the cable was not inserted into the plastic piece on the fin   I put it in but runs at 33 34 degrees Im thinking it should be closer to 38 40 degrees am I right or wrong in this thinking.?

19 minutes ago, George the greek said:

Im thinking it should be closer to 38 40 degrees am I right or wrong in this thinking.?

You are correct about the temperature. As I read the installation materials, there is no way to manually adjust the temperature. Since it is new, I suggest that you return to the selling dealer and discuss the problem with their service department. There must be a way to adjust the temperature. 

3 hours ago, George the greek said:

your right its a DM2672 and the plastic thing is the thermistor fridge is new as well as the camper t the probe attached to the cable was not inserted into the plastic piece on the fin   I put it in but runs at 33 34 degrees Im thinking it should be closer to 38 40 degrees am I right or wrong in this thinking.?

I think 33-34° is great, especially this summer when doors are being opened frequently and warmer foods/leftovers/sodas are being placed inside. If items begin to freeze and you desire a warmer temperature, move the thermister holder one fin to the left, then measure temperature 24hrs later. Re-adjust thermister accordingly.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

13 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You are correct about the temperature. As I read the installation materials, there is no way to manually adjust the temperature. Since it is new, I suggest that you return to the selling dealer and discuss the problem with their service department. There must be a way to adjust the temperature. 

Thanks for the info Im about 1800 miles from selling dealer so that's not an option Ill see if ther is a  S Dometic dealer anywhere close by though

G the G

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I think 33-34° is great, especially this summer when doors are being opened frequently and warmer foods/leftovers/sodas are being placed inside. If items begin to freeze and you desire a warmer temperature, move the thermister holder one fin to the left, then measure temperature 24hrs later. Re-adjust thermister accordingly.

thanks for the idea I just moved the thermistor one fin to the left it was on the farthest to  right fin the fins I will recheck temp again.

There are those who will tell you that moving the thermisitor will adjust temperatures, but they do not all agree as this video from Youtube says something quite different from the "expert" who is quoted above. If you check this Youtube, he has a different opinion as well. It has been my experience that the amount of temperature change cause by moving the thermistor is not great and it also requires a lot of experimenting to find how much you can gain by doing so. 

It won't hurt anything to try this, but just be careful not to damage the cooling fins or coils that they attach to as that could do serious damage to the refrigerator.

Edited by Kirk W

This document shows a Dometic DM2672 does have a temperature adjustment.

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and-beverage/rv,-boat-and-truck-refrigerators/rv-refrigerators/dometic-dm-2672-_-183073

If moving the thermister doesn't affect temperature, and there is actually no temperature adjustment; you may wish to install a Snip-the-Tip adjustable thermister,  This  video shows how:

Edited by Ray,IN

Back when I had one, did I say I hated them, I disconnected the thermistor and it froze items. Now that was cooler weather. Ours would let milk spoil after a few days in southern summers. We had fans in back and fans inside. Helped.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

This document shows a Dometic DM2672 does have a temperature adjustment.

dometic_gf5-temperature-control-automati

Are you sure? In looking through that literature this was all that I found. All that I can see is on/off and auto/LP/Electric.

28 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

dometic_gf5-temperature-control-automati

Are you sure? In looking through that literature this was all that I found. All that I can see is on/off and auto/LP/Electric.

No I'm not sure, I just saw that Dometic  advertisement  states it does and shows that picture. That's why I suggested the Snip the Tip adjustable thermister if moving the original doesn't help.

Edit: Strange, I had included a link to the Dometic webpage that had that picture???? Here it is again: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/products/food-and-beverage/rv,-boat-and-truck-refrigerators/rv-refrigerators/dometic-dm-2672-_-183073

Ah-Ha! I forgot to post that link as plain text first time, my bad. Anyway, you are right, the add is misleading.

Edited by Ray,IN

Our Dometic kept freezing things in the refrigerator.  I fiddled with it for a month or two and finally moved the thermister from the extreme right fin one fin left.  That fin change solved the issue and it now keeps a nice stabil 36 - 38 degrees.

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

6 hours ago, Customer1 said:

Our Dometic kept freezing things in the refrigerator.  I fiddled with it for a month or two and finally moved the thermister from the extreme right fin one fin left.  That fin change solved the issue and it now keeps a nice stabil 36 - 38 degrees.

I did that yesterday also hope that will solve the issue thank you for your reply

• 2 years later...

That usually means that the thermistor  which controls the temperature has failed. An RV refrigerator goes into a constant cool mode when that happens. The thermistor is inside of the chill box and if you tell us the make and model of the refrigerator we could give you more specific information.