Best route from Mich to Seattle for 40ft 5th wheel

kermitlong

If you have the time, take I-75 north to St. Ignace, and pick up US Highway 2 and go clear across.  That will put you in Evertt, WA just north of Seattle.  And at Spokane, if your destination is to go to the south side of Seattle, you can pick up I-90 and scoot across the state.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• Your going over the Rockies and the Cascades.  There will be climbs, their will be turns.  Get a copy of Mountain States Directory West for information on hills, or use the AllStays Camping App, which includes information on passes, etc.  It really isn't a hard drive if you are familiar with your rig, etc.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The above is the route I'd recommend, also.  If you take Hwy 2 all the way your biggest 'hill' will be in Washington - Stevens Pass.  You'll have 6.5 miles of 5-6% with 40 mph curves - downhill.  The first 4.5 mi. are four-lone; then three-lane; then two-lane.  It's at 4061' elevation - definitely not a biggie of the Rocky Mountains!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

5 hours ago, kermitlong said:

I have a 2017 3500 Duramax - so I will need to learn to use the engine brake.

Yes, and manually downshift when beginning the downgrade. The retard feature works well, but with the transmission in a lower gear(not in overdrive) the tow/haul feature is amplified.

I drove this route with my 02 Duramax dually towing a 40' 15,500# 5er in 2005. Go slow downhill is key, at least until you learn how your truck acts/reacts.

A side note, stop in Havre, MT and tour Havre underground. There is a quaint motel/RV park on the E side of Havre.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I-80 West to Little America, hang a right over to I-15. North to I-84, West to Portland, Right turn to I-5 to Seattle.  The grade is from Cheyenne, but not all that long or steep.  The Downgrade is into Pendelton, OR.  A bit steep and a lot of curves.  Put it in Tow/Haul and turn on the Engine Brake.  Stay out of Cruise.  You will likely need to hit the accelerator pedal to keep a reasonable speed.  

Use the Tow/Haul and Brake around town to see what it does.  Coming off a freeway ramp a light touch on the service brake will cause a series of downshifts and quickly slow you to 30mph or so.

Thanks for all the tips. Tee Jay - 80 was our first thought, but the route 2 looks interesting also. We have friends that are in Utah and they are headed to Ohio. We may meet them on road as they head east and we head west. That may determine if we go North route or not.

Its been a number of years, but we have taken the US 2 route from Montana to St. Ignace - The thing I remember most is a lot of small town "stop-and-go" driving thru Minnesota-Wisconsin into Michigan.   I would X3 the Tee Jay route, with a possible modifier... I-80 to Omaha, cut North on I-29 to Sioux Falls, I-90 all the way to Montana

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Jim and Alice, When I was plotting out stops on the us2 route - I was thinking it seemed to be a lot of jogs and small towns. I may have to really think of putting 80 back at the top of the list. I have 5 to 10 days to make the trip , just depends how much I want to drive in a day.

Are you retired?  If yes then use US2 one way and the I roads the other. 

If not then learn to enjoy the I roads to 'make time'. 

To your list of places to see add:  Medora ND. Glacier NP,  Wall Drug,  Yellowstone NP. Cody WY for the museum,  Bailey Yard in North Platte NE,  Scott's Bluff on the Oregon Trail,  that's a few to get you started looking for the great places.

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg