WD Blue 1TB SSD Quick Review

RV_

Boy has the landscape shifted. I went from Crucial M4 SSDs, to a Kingston, then an ADATA, both of which sucked. Then I just decided that Samsung EVO 3D could not be beaten. And I used them for the last six or seven years.

For years Western Digital has produced great hard drives. Recently I'd say they have Seagate beaten in bang for my buck. Because the Blue was their economy drive and had almost no warranty, I initially shied away as their "blue" drives were bottom shelf performance wise. Black were best. So I'd stuck with Samsung until last week.

My old Dell XPS 2720 AIO died and would not boot. It has an i7 4770S, very fast quad core at:

It has only 8 GB of RAM and  2TB Hard drive behind a 32GB mSATA Boot drive. But the Quad HD 27" screen and stunning video and DVD multi player recorder as well as the Intel graphics engine supplemented by a 2GB NVidia graphics GeForce GT 750 card and terrific WiFi dual band adapter is excellent. 

But before it wouldn't boot it was taking forever to boot. I finally plugged it in, went into setup and found it had changed to legacy bios but the drive was set up for secure boot and UEFI. Bingo! It had not been plugged in for months during the move six months ago, so I reviewed how to pop the back cover and tested the watch battery. Dead as a door nail. Swapped it out and voila, boots every time, still slow to boot. Well, since I'd bought a new Dell 27" Inspiron 7790 AIO, 27" Gen 10 in December thinking it was dead I was thrilled! Because now it could be sold. But despite the high end approach, it still booted slower than I like. 

So I tried the WD Blue 1TB SSD and it boots in an honest ten seconds or less, programs pop up before I release the mouse button! I'm shocked at the speed and feel with this drive. And it has a 5yr. warranty.

I highly recommend the WD Blue SSD as the best bang for my buck!

I'm putting in 8 more GBs of RAM for a total of 16GB.  Now I want to keep it.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire