A perspective on how COVID-19 will affect RVing

docj

Here's an interesting perspective on how the current virus crisis might affect RVing.  I'm not saying that it has any more credibility than other articles, but it's an easy read: An RV Retirement

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

This virus is one BIG glitch affecting everyone; not just RVers.  Personally, I believe it's too early to make any future plans as to begin or ending RVing.  No one knows everything about this virus; how long it will last and if it returns as bad.  Vaccines are being worked on swiftly.  We're all learning.  How many things have happened in the past that could have affected the RVing community but it always bounced back?  If one wants to do any kind of travel RVing is the very best way to do it.  Sit tight for a few months.  Don't do anything drastic.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Too bad the Washington Post wants you to buy a subscription to read the article.

I was able to read it without subscribing. 

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

6 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Too bad the Washington Post wants you to buy a subscription to read the article.

Clear your Washington Post cookies and you'll be able to see a few articles before you start getting the subscription popups again.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

19 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

This virus is one BIG glitch affecting everyone; not just RVers.  Personally, I believe it's too early to make any future plans as to begin or ending RVing.  

I agree with your assessment, 2gypsies.   Things are moving fast, but it is too soon to make long-term planning changes.   Stay safe, and stay tuned.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

NY just opened up the state park camping reservations for all of 2021 instead of the usual 9 month window. Reservation transfers from this year to next are available with no fees. We have existing reservations for this year for the 4th of July week and Labor Day week, and we're leaving them in place while we wait and see if they'll be honored or not. I did book the same weeks for next year though, since site availability at popular parks is disappearing fast.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, dblr said:

I was able to read it without subscribing. 

They let you read a limited number of articles before they demand you subscribe. Unfortunately, I have a lot of people who send me links to WP and NYT articles but, without the ability to read them, how do I decide if I want to subscribe? I don't really want the whole newspaper, I just want to be able to read articles in the links sent to me.

6 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Clear your Washington Post cookies and you'll be able to see a few articles before you start getting the subscription popups again.

Excellent! I'll try that. As soon as Dave shows me how to do that. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

They let you read a limited number of articles before they demand you subscribe. Unfortunately, I have a lot of people who send me links to WP and NYT articles but, without the ability to read them, how do I decide if I want to subscribe? I don't really want the whole newspaper, I just want to be able to read articles in the links sent to me.

Try connecting in Incognito mode. It works for some sites and not for others.

--

Ray & Wendy

Full time wanna be - finally!

2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

"But back stateside, with campgrounds shuttered nationwide, it was nearly impossible to find a place with an RV hookup to park for the night."

IMO, this is more than just a little bloviating and is totally opposite of my experience thus far this year.  When we traveled from LA to CO, it was VERY easy to find a spot for the night...and longer.  We used several municipal parks thru TX and private RV parks the rest of the way.

3 hours ago, RayJay said:

Try connecting in Incognito mode. It works for some sites and not for others.

I removed cookies for the Washington Post and the NYTimes. The Post also wanted me to remove my ad blocker, which I did, so I could read the article that started this thread. I haven't been back to the Times to see if removing cookies was enough.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I just skip those sites that make you go thru hoops to read an article.  There are usually plenty of other sites with the same information.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

11 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I just skip those sites that make you go thru hoops to read an article.  There are usually plenty of other sites with the same information.

You skip them even if they are sites friends sent you because they knew of your interest in a topic? Those are the ones I have trouble ignoring.

Linda

We left Florida April 2nd this year. We stay at KOA campgrounds and had reservations they  were open but only 25 maybe 30 % filled. We got at far as S.C when the Governors of VA and WVA shut everything down and we lost our reservation the rest of the way home to Ohio.

We decided to not make any travel plans this summer due to the uncertainty. We will stay local when the CG open. We are using the down time to do much need maint on the S&B and the Montana. We are not full timers in that we do have a S&B.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

We're in Mesa, AZ. We're full-time (since 2012) and don't HAVE to be anywhere. Our plan this summer was to slowly get to a campground in Massachusetts after visiting family in CO, TX, FL, and SC. We were supposed to leave here in April, yet we're still here. There was (and maybe still is) way too much uncertainty for traveling across the country. Our daughter, in CT, is married to a nurse who works in a COVID ward. She has MS and said we wouldn't be visiting even if we were there. My 72 YO sister and 99 YO mother are kinda the same way.

In order to keep our site in Mesa, we have to pay for it year-round, even though we normally only use it for the winter season. With our savings and investments taking a hit, staying here also cuts down expenses. Since the site is paid for, all it costs is electricity (a LOT when the temps are more than 100°!).

For the past couple of days, we have talked about going directly to MA, but maybe not. There is still way too much uncertainty.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!

I read yesterday River Plantation RV resort in Sieverville TN was mostly vacant during  April and May, June is fully-booked. irv2.com maintains their plans to hold their national rally there in Oct.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961