Hi,

We're interested in looking at a few escape coop parks to possibly put some money down on a waiting list.  For anyone owning one, what is the total out of pocket we are looking at?  In other words, in addition to the purchase of the lot itself, are there property taxes, electricity, utilities etc that are billed?  How does that work?  We are particularly interested in the WA and OR coop parks, but Benson AZ is a possibility as well.  Thanks for any info.

7 hours ago, drjenk said:

In other words, in addition to the purchase of the lot itself, are there property taxes, electricity, utilities etc that are billed?  How does that work? 

I think that you would probably get a wider range of answers if you were to post your co-op questions in the General Forum, as far more members read it since some ignore these market forums except when shopping for something. I am not an expert on the co-op parks but I am pretty familiar with how they work so will give my best answer. 

The first thing to remember is that each park is actually owned by the members who have bought lots there and the members of each park elect a board of directors who make all management decisions and hire any employees. While the co-op parks were begun by the Escapees RV Club, ones all memberships were sold the club retains no financial or management interest in the park and they have no voice in management decisions. There are a few things built into the incorporation of each which continue to require that park members be members of Escapees RV Club. For the above reasons the only way to know exact details is to contact each park's management. 

Electricity is billed to each lot owner from a meter on that lot in much the same matter as it is in snowbird parks where the RVer pays a monthly rate plus electricity. In most cases that is paid through the office, but there could be some exceptions.  Taxes will depend to a large extent on the state in which the park is located. Here in TX the county does send a separate tax bill to each lot owner for the improvements on that lot(I owned a lot in a TX co-op for 8 years) but I know that in some states that bill is also paid through the office and all taxes are billed by the authorities to the co-op. Each park also has an annual assessment fee that each lot holder must pay and that is determined annually by the board of directors. The amount of that annual payment varies widely because it covers things like water and sewer expenses, maintenance of infrastructure, payroll, and a long list of other things which will be quite different from one park to the next because the amount of infrastructure and amenities each park has varies so widely and the same is true of operating costs. Some parks own a well and septic system while others use local utility services. While all of them have a clubhouse, what that clubhouse consists of is quite different from one to the next. Some of things like a swimming pool and others do not. One even has a shooting range. 

These parks are so very different that I strongly suggest you visit any location which is of interest to you and see what facilities they have and what the cost of memberships is as well as annual membership fees. We have spent time in all but 2 of the co-op parks and about the only thing that is common to all of them is the management structure. The purchase prices range from quite low to quite high and the same is true of annual fees. The same is true of amenities and services provided. 

Each park runs independently. For instance it cost me $1040 to get on the list at Timber Valley SKP (Sutherlin, OR) $1000 refundable, but $520 for SKPSaguaroSKP (Benson, AZ) $500 refundable. How they handle the wait list is different too. At Timber Valley, the top most number gets the next site available. At SKPSaguaro anyone on the list, in any position, can apply for an available site. It's awarded to the member who is the lowest on the hot list.

It will take about four years for me to get a site in Timber Valley, I'm eligible to 'bid' on a site now in SKPSaguaro. At any rate, if you are truly interested in a site in any Escapees SKP, I strongly suggest you apply now. The longer you wait, the longer you wait!

Some of the Co-op have more informative sites than others. If you go to the Saguaro site, you'll see that a bare lot is 12.2k, However if the lot has improvements on it the price goes up. They have one listed now for 30k.

Edited by filthy-beast

17 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Kirk, what Co-Op has a shooting range?

Jojoba Hills.

I'm a leaseholder in the Pair-A-Dice Co-op in Pahrump, NV.  Like Kirk said, each Co-op park is owned by their members and self-governed by a Board of Directors so the exact policies differ from one co-op to another.

Pair-A-Dice just raised their prices - it now takes a $2000 refundable deposit and a $75 administrative fee to get on the waiting list.   When a lot is available it will cost $10,000 ($8k plus the $2k deposit) and the depreciated value of any lot improvements (landscaping, etc.)

Property taxes and all utilities except electricity (well water, sewer and trash) are paid by the park. These plus normal ongoing maintenance to the utilities and common areas are covered by an annual Maintenance Fee ($1000 a year).  The only other ongoing expense is your electric usage, the park buys electricity in bulk and sub-meters it at cost to each site with no monthly minimum.

If major repairs are needed, the BOD can issue a special assessment to all lot holders to pay for the repairs.

When you leave the park, you are refunded your initial buy-in cost plus any special assessments.  They're paid as soon as the Co-op gets payment from the incoming member - which is why there's a waiting list to facilitate transfers.

edit: corrected waiting list deposit and lot prices -LS

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 5/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Kirk W said:

Jojoba Hills.

Calif would be the last place I would think of having a shooting range! 

2 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Calif would be the last place I would think of having a shooting range! 

Keep in mind its a air rifle range. 

7 hours ago, hdrider said:

Keep in mind its a air rifle range. 

I think that we were told you could also shoot small bore?

It's been a couple years since we stayed there so it might have changed but at that time it was air rifle and pistol only.

1 hour ago, hdrider said:

It's been a couple years since we stayed there so it might have changed but at that time it was air rifle and pistol only.

That is how I remember the tour that we took. I don't recall the pistol being restricted to air, but suppose it could have been what was intended. Either way, it is the only co-op that we have visited which has a range.

Edited by Kirk W

I have a lot at Evergreen Coho.   It was in the $13,000 range but depends on if there have been improvements made to the shed which I think is capped around $6000.  You also pay a yearly maintenance fee which is close to $2000 a year.  If in the rental pool you can get up to about half of that back depending on how many in the pool and the time of year your lot is in the rental pool.   There can be assessments and the maintenance fees can also increase.

I pay monthly electric.  I believe there are 180 on the list and I believe the deposit is $1000.  I was 56 on the list a few years ago and the list has more than tripled since then.   It took me a little over a year to get to the top of the list but I was expecting 3-5 years.

We are on the list for Florida SKP resort, signed up in January 2019 with a 500.00 deposit and 25.00 administration fee. Was told average buy in is 14k, depending on site improvements such as shed, concrete pad, etc . Annual fees estimated at 1500.00 which included property taxes, water and sewer.  Electric billed separate.  

The current wait  list has #129 on it as of 4/29/20. We were #107 on the list when we signed up and now we are #85, with an expected wait time of 6 years to get to the top of the list. This fits our retirement schedule timeline.

We have lived in South Florida since 1995, raised our children here who have blessed us with 6 grandchildren and all reside in Florida so it made our decision to home base here easy. Our plan is to winter in Florida 6 months and travel the country 6 months. 

We will keep the S&B for a year or 2 as we start our journey, to have a fall back plan in case for some reason we decide the lifestyle isnt for us. But the plan is to reduce our stuff, sell the S&B, do the travel thing until we cant do it anymore, then the final chapters in assisted living or with our children.