out-of-market channels gone 6-1-2020

I just received this email.  Does this mean we have to call DirecTV every time we stop to get the local channels? or will we get Livingston, TX Channels everywhere we go? Has anyone else received this notification?

Dear

Regrettably, we must inform you of a new law that affects your programming. Until recently, the Satellite Television Extension and Localism Act Reauthorization (STELAR) Act authorized DIRECTV to provide you access to your out-of-market broadcast networks—ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and/or FOX. Unfortunately, Congress has decided to not renew key provisions of this law. As a result, on June 1, 2020, we no longer will be able to provide you access to these out-of-market channels. These are not available anywhere else. However, this change does not affect access to your existing local network stations.

If you’re paying for these channels, you’ll receive a credit within 1-2 billing cycles for this programming change.

If you have any questions, please call us at 866.595.9429.

Thank you for choosing DIRECTV.

I am a full timer. Every time I move to a different location I have to call DirecTv to change my local stations. All the other channels remain the same. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I got the same email - I’ve had east and west coast feeds for years and was grandfathered in.  Don’t think I’ll bother much with local stations, calling every time sounds like too much of a bother for me, I’ll use OTA if I really want to watch something.

I tried to change my service address with DTV in February, something i've done many times before.  This time they told me that they'd have to schedule an appointment and a technician would have to oversee the change.  When I challenged that, they gave me some argument that the FCC had changed the rules.  Anyone had their service address changed over the phone lately?

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com

This is exactly why I switched from Direct to Dish. It just got to be too much of a hassle every time I called Direct. I think the last two or three times it took over an hour on the phone. I really don't think they know what they are doing.

After the fact I find that Dish is far superior to navigate and record among many other features.

2006 Elite Suite 36TK3
2001 F-550 Starhauler
www.mytripjournal.com/elitesuitestravels
IN GOD WE TRUST

On 5/5/2020 at 10:06 PM, MeanderMan said:

I tried to change my service address with DTV in February, something i've done many times before.  This time they told me that they'd have to schedule an appointment and a technician would have to oversee the change.  When I challenged that, they gave me some argument that the FCC had changed the rules.  Anyone had their service address changed over the phone lately?

I have been unable to change my service address over the phone for some time now. AT&T acts like buying DirecTV was a mistake and they hate RV mobile accounts more. When DNS goes away it will be interesting if they have the same tune. Our service address is KCMO now and we are in Texas in an area where OTA does not bring in network channels.

Edited by SKP099512

Bob & Jo
Full-timing since 09/10/2009 - SKP 99512
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350
Our blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 12:53 PM, SKP099512 said:

I have been able to change my service address over the phone for some time now. AT&T acts like buying DirecTV was a mistake and they hate RV mobile accounts more. When DNS goes away it will be interesting if they have the same tune. Our service address is KCMO now and we are in Texas in an area where OTA does not bring in network channels.

Which number did you call? Did you get forwarded to a specific department?Reason I ask is that I have spent 2 hours on the phone trying to change service address in preparation for June 1st. We cannot get networks OTA in our current location.

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350

When we are on the road we want the local channels were we are at and we just crank up the Bat wing antenna. If we are in Arizona we do not  want to see the local weather in Northern Ohio. We want to know what is going on where we are not where we are not.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

21 hours ago, SKP099512 said:

... I have spent 2 hours on the phone trying to change service address in preparation for June 1st. We cannot get networks OTA in our current location.

Wouldn't it be nice if DTV had an app where one could just change a service address without all this hassle?  I think so.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:59 AM, richfaa said:

When we are on the road we want the local channels were we are at and we just crank up the Bat wing antenna. 

That works fine -- IF you're in an area where there are OTA signals.  We're often in areas where there are none.  (We're Dish customers and have had no problems changing local channels as we travel.  We usually use Dish's chat feature to do so and it takes maybe 5 minutes.)

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Strange as it may seem we have never been in an area  were we could not get a OTA signal there have been times' when we could only get 2 or three channels. We use the bat for the locals wherever we are. We use directv .

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

1 hour ago, jeanhoyle said:

These hills do not have any over the air stations.

The same was true along much of the Oregon coast and also at several of the national wildlife refuges where we have volunteered.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The same was true along much of the Oregon coast and also at several of the national wildlife refuges where we have volunteered.

We travel from Washington State to Arizona and back again each year.  We usually travel through Oregon, Idaho and Nevada.  There are many areas in the vast empty countryside where there are no OTA signals

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

If we are traveling down the road in our 5th wheel  we are not watching TV so we would not know if there was a signal or not. If we are in a spot for more than overnight we set up our portable satellite  dish .We  are actually from western PA and understand how mountains and hills can block TV signals. What I said was   "Strange as it may seem we have never been in an area  were we could not get a OTA signal there have been times' when we could only get 2 or three channels. We use the bat for the locals wherever we are. We use directv

Edited by richfaa

• 3 weeks later...

June 13th update - ATT/DirecTV has signed agreements with FOX CBS NBC so 390 391 392 393 398 399 now viewable. CW and ABC TBD.

Bob & Jo
2015 Lifestyle LS38RS

2010 Ford F-350