Sprint data service at Escapees In Livingston?

Howdy!

Can anyone advise me if Sprint data service is any good at the Escapees in Livingston? I have checked Sprints service map and they show them to have 4G LTE data service, but so does AT&T and their service is slim and none. If anyone can confirm that the Sprint Service is good there I’m thinking about getting the FMCA Sprint unlimited data service they offer. Thanks for the help.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

Edited by chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

All I can say is that in 2012 Sprint had very good 3G service at Rainbow's End, so I suspect they upgraded to 4G since then. 

(I can't believe it has been so long since we camped at Rainbow's End.)

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

10 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

All I can say is that in 2012 Sprint had very good 3G service at Rainbow's End, so I suspect they upgraded to 4G since then. 

It has been years since we camped there. They were full the last few times I tried.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

According to what i have read, Sprint customers can now roam on T-Mobile towers at no cost. Some Sprint hardware will be more capable than others with respect to doing this, but it could change the answer to the OP's question.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, I was reading the same yesterday. Interesting what they doing with 5g. May be a game changer in a few years

Be careful, however, because T-Mobile has intentionally muddied the water on  what it is doing with respect to 5G.

T-Mobile acquired a piece of spectrum at about 600 MHz that was no longer needed for TV stations.  In cell phone lingo that specturm is called Band 71.  

T-Mobile does, currently, have almost nationwide service in Band 71 which is good because it has greater range and penetration capability than do higher frequency cellular bands.  However, all the existing Band 71 service is "regular" 4G/LTE.

Where the confusion comes about is that later this year or next, T-Mobile is going to use a piece of Band 71 for "low frequency 5G".  This has been announced, but what isn't being said is that pretty much none of the existing devices that work on Band 71 will be able to receive the 5G signals when they are broadcast.

The result is that lots of people are going around saying they want to get modems capable of receiving Band 71, thinking that in some way this will give them a foothold into 5G.  Except it won't.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

10 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

7 hours ago, docj said:

According to what i have read, Sprint customers can now roam on T-Mobile towers at no cost. Some Sprint hardware will be more capable than others with respect to doing this, but it could change the answer to the OP's question.

Howdy!

I know that T Mobile doesn’t work very good here as I have had relatives visit that That could not get a signal with their T-Mobile phone.

We had a grandfathered Sprint 3G unlimited account for years and it did work here at the Escapees. I had forgotten about that.

”Happy Trails” 

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

3 hours ago, docj said:

Be careful, however, because T-Mobile has intentionally muddied the water on  what it is doing with respect to 5G.

T-Mobile acquired a piece of spectrum at about 600 MHz that was no longer needed for TV stations.  In cell phone lingo that specturm is called Band 71.  

T-Mobile does, currently, have almost nationwide service in Band 71 which is good because it has greater range and penetration capability than do higher frequency cellular bands.  However, all the existing Band 71 service is "regular" 4G/LTE.

Where the confusion comes about is that later this year or next, T-Mobile is going to use a piece of Band 71 for "low frequency 5G".  This has been announced, but what isn't being said is that pretty much none of the existing devices that work on Band 71 will be able to receive the 5G signals when they are broadcast.

The result is that lots of people are going around saying they want to get modems capable of receiving Band 71, thinking that in some way this will give them a foothold into 5G.  Except it won't.

OH, I'm stayying with Verzion. We grandfathered in the prepay unliminted. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

4 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

We grandfathered in the prepay unliminted. 

We have one of those, also.  But I do maintain several unlimited connections plus our Verizon phones in order to ensure internet access 24/7.  I use multiple connections in a load balancing router and I'm always able to stream video.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

53 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Don't know of any other unlimited account

We have that unlimited prepaid Verizon along with a Visible by Verizon.  My router shows that the "ups and downs" of the two often don't overlap even though they are both Verizon.  I also have a T-Mobile unlimited account through OTR-Mobile. It had been AT&T which was better but my T-Mobile connection is reliable when combined with the others in the Load Balancing router.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

We have yet to be where we had no Verizon service. But due to my work been in major cities. Don't know of any other unlimited account

Howdy!

FMCA is offering members a unlimited data MiFi with Sprint for $49.99 a month no contract. You must be a member of FMCA with at least one year remaining on your membership. Disregard the information referring to the Verizon MiFi. It has a 25mb cap and is unusable after you reach the cap. Been there done that, that’s why I’m interested in the Sprint unlimited.

https://www.fmca.com/rv-wifi

“Happy Trails”

Chiefneon

Edited by chiefneon

Gary & karen

2016 Smart Car Prime

Gary, I’m sure you’ve looked into Visible ? I have one of their phones now trying it out. The data speeds have been just ok, until yesterday. I was getting 60mbs on my Verizon phone & less that 5 on Visible. Spent 1.5 hrs chatting with them & got a ticket opened. Neighbor is getting 15 down on Visible.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

1 hour ago, dewilso said:

Gary, I’m sure you’ve looked into Visible ? I have one of their phones now trying it out. The data speeds have been just ok, until yesterday. I was getting 60mbs on my Verizon phone & less that 5 on Visible. Spent 1.5 hrs chatting with them & got a ticket opened. Neighbor is getting 15 down on Visible.

Verizon categorizes its plans into postpaid and prepaid.  Postpaid plans rank much higher on the network priority list than do prepaid plans.  Within those two broad categories I'm pretty sure there are tiers of priorities corresponding to different plans.  Pretty mcy all plans are "network managed" to some degree but some have higher priority than others which makes for differences in measured speed.

Suffice it to say that Visible is classed as a prepaid plan.  It is totally unrealistic to compare the speeds on it to the speed of a phone on a postpaid plan.   The speeds you are seeing are very typical of Visible; I also have one.

As for what your neighbor  says he gets, please bear in mind that network speeds vary on a moment by moment basis.  If you've never tried it, go to SpeedofMe and take a speed test.  During the course of the test you  will see how much the speed varies.  It's quite possible your neighbor got 15 Mbps on a single speed test using one of the many speed test sites.  That doesn't mean that if he tested again or with a different site that he'd get the same result.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

On 4/24/2020 at 1:24 PM, docj said:

Trying to keep up with what each carrier defines as 5G and what devices use what bands makes me crazy.  But one thing that Tmo is doing with Band 71 is what they are calling "Home Internet."  For fifty bucks a month they provide *real* unlimited data (we usually run well over 100 meg/mo with no throttling).  Speedtest.net consistently runs better than 70 meg, often over 100 meg.  The hotspot device is a little larger than most - paperback book size - and has both 2.5 & 5 mhz wifi and an ethernet connection if you want to add a router.  To really ice the cake, Band 71 has significantly greater range.

They only offer this service to select areas, apparently home addresses where the service is available, but the thing travels well even if not designed for RV use.

Just one more tool in the toolbox.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

12 hours ago, Hill_Country said:

They only offer this service to select areas, apparently home addresses where the service is available, but the thing travels well even if not designed for RV use.

Right; you can enter your address on a TMO webpage and it can tell you if service is available in your area.  In mine, it's not.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador