IRS tax day and I received money from them!

Kirk W

If you were not required to file 2019 federal taxes, this explains how to register for your stimulus check: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2020/04/10/irs-finally-launches-registration-tool-for-stimulus-checks/#1adbc5334a7a

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, travelinfool said:

I am taking this found money and donating it to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Excellent! Donating this "free" money to those who need it more than we do is a great way to stimulate the economy. We know they are going to spend it rather than save it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, LindaH said:

A friend of mine suggested donating the money to a local food bank.  I think that's an excellent idea considering the L-O-N-G lines of cars I've seen on the news waiting for food.

Yes, anything we can do to help those in greater need during these challenging times is worth doing. Good for your friend! And you for passing along this idea!

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We had filed out 2019 tax and had received the refund our stimulus check was direct deposited April 16th.It will go to local business and then some as our RV needs some repairs.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, rynosback said:

I have not filled my 2019 taxes yet but did get a little back in 2018. They deposited it into my back account then. So I would think they would do the same for you since they have it on file.

The problem is, the site is telling me the banking information I entered (and where our refunds are deposited) does not match their records.  I've used information from both 2019 and 2018 and get the same message.  That's why I'm thinking that, for some reason, the IRS is using the banking information where are Social Security payments are deposited.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I found out that since we owed money to the IRS this year, and even though we gave the IRS our bank account info to debit our account, they will not use that address to deposit our stimulus.    Note that this same address has been used in the past to deposit a refund.

I went to Get-My-Payment and entered my bank info.  Hopefully we will soon get our check. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Al F said:

I found out that since we owed money to the IRS this year, and even though we gave the IRS our bank account info to debit our account, they will not use that address to deposit our stimulus.    Note that this same address has been used in the past to deposit a refund.

What a cluster buster. Ask me am I surprised.  I'll bet you can guess the answer.  I also did what you did to provide the information to get mine deposited.  For some reason I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about it but almost always hope even when PO'd.

Here is a quote from the IRS website in the FAQ section about stimulus check direct deposit if you paid your taxes electronically. 

The account information used to make an electronic payment to the IRS cannot be used as the account information for the direct deposit of your payment. If we do not have bank account information for you and your payment has not been processed yet, Get My Payment will allow you to submit your bank account information once you have properly verified your identity so that you can get your EIP via direct deposit. Otherwise, we will mail your payment to address we have on file for you.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 4/18/2020 at 3:40 PM, Al F said:

I went to Get-My-Payment and entered my bank info.  Hopefully we will soon get our check. 

You must remember the "conjunction" of   The  -and-  IRS......when it applies to $$ = "Theirs"

BTW - about two weeks after the $ was deposited to my checking account, I received a letter with the letterhead "The White House - Washington .....(no joke !) from  POTUS (with auto signature) taking credit for same (in so many -a lot- of words). Duplicated on the reverse side in Spanish.

The envelope (return address) = Dept. of The Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301-0003 - Official Business.

Metered stamp = Presorted First Class Mail, Postage and Fees Paid, Internal Revenue Service, Permit No. G-48

Soooo - Cheers!  - Gonna get out the shaker for a tall Clorox/Lysol cocktail with a maraschino cherry on top.

BTW - ditto on the charitable contributions!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

30 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

BTW - about two weeks after the $ was deposited to my checking account, I received a letter with the letterhead "The White House - Washington .....(no joke !) from  POTUS (with auto signature) taking credit for same (in so many -a lot- of words).

So when did this letter arrive? Since the money didn't start arriving until April 14 or 15, it has not been two weeks.  😏

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 minutes ago, vermilye said:

I got my letter from the IRS & Trump yesterday telling me how much money was coming.  Since the direct deposit was made almost 2 weeks ago, I really didn't need the notice..

That notice was just in case you weren't paying attention . You know like all the other rich folks . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

On 4/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, Kirk W said:

So when did this letter arrive? Since the money didn't start arriving until April 14 or 15, it has not been two weeks.  😏

I meant "about" two weeks after I received my returns from the IRS.  Here's the dates:

Tax returns completed at accountant on March 11.  I assume they were electronically filed a day or two later.

Returns due were posted to my checking account - March 25 (State) and March 27 (Federal).

The White House letter indicates at the top right:  NOTICE DATE:  April 15, 2020.  NOTICE NUMBER: (4 numerals and 4 letters) - it arrived in my mailbox April 19th.  I noticed one of the news channels - forget which one - was displaying a copy of the identical letter sent to taxpayers "on file".  I would guess everyone will receive one. (It was deposited to my checking acct on April 15.)

BTW - the "PRESORTED FIRST-CLASS MAIL Postage and Fees Paid Internal Revenue Service PERMIT NO. G-48"  is actually part of the envelope - rather than "metered" (or a stamp).

All items in caps are "as indicated" - *not* mine.

Hope that answers your question, Kirk?

Cheers again! - Now I gotta go recline in the tanning bed for some UV treatment, LOL.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

We file our returns electronically and we have for several years.We usually have a small refund. We direct the IRS direct deposit the refund in our bank savings account and they always have. We did file our 2019 federal tax and had received our refund. The stimulus check (2400) was deposited in our Bank savings account  4-16-2020. We did get a letter from  WH a couple of days ago  dated April 15th stating that we would be receiving  a economic  impact payment of 2400.00 $$ which we already had. Everything seemed to work out according to plan.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, LindaH said:

We haven't received ours, either.  My problem is that when I filed our taxes in February of this year, we did not get a refund, so didn't give the IRS any banking information.  We DID get a refund when I filed our 2018 taxes, but when I go to the IRS site to track where our stimulus check is, it gives me the error message that the account information doesn't match their records.  So now I'm thinking maybe they're using the banking information where our Social Security checks are deposited, even though that's not the same bank I use for refunds.  I'm going to try that again later this morning to see if that works.  If not, I guess I'll just have to wait for a snail mail check.

We STILL haven't received our stimulus check, but I WAS finally able to get the Get My Payment site to work yesterday after a couple of weeks trying!  (First, as noted above, I kept getting the message that the banking information I had entered didn't match their records (it did), and then for days on end I kept getting a "technical difficulties" message.) 

So now they have my direct deposit information (they had it, anyway), maybe we'll be getting money deposited shortly.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I gave up trying, will wait for the snail mail checks.  Our problem is that the IRS website doesn't know why to do with people who had neither an amount due or a refund!  We roll any overpayment into next years estimated tax, so we never receive a refund.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

24 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Our problem is that the IRS website doesn't know why to do with people who had neither an amount due or a refund!  

We had the same problem.   Had no taxes due for tax year 2018... have not filed 2019 yet.   Two days ago, the IRS 'Payment' web site was updated to accept '0' as a refund/due amount.   The FAQ link did support that action... and my payment information then worked.   Haven't heard anything since, tho.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

On 4/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

You must remember the "conjunction" of   The  -and-  IRS......when it applies to $$ = "Theirs"

BTW - about two weeks after the $ was deposited to my checking account, I received a letter with the letterhead "The White House - Washington .....(no joke !) from  POTUS (with auto signature) taking credit for same (in so many -a lot- of words). Duplicated on the reverse side in Spanish.

The envelope (return address) = Dept. of The Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301-0003 - Official Business.

Metered stamp = Presorted First Class Mail, Postage and Fees Paid, Internal Revenue Service, Permit No. G-48

Soooo - Cheers!  - Gonna get out the shaker for a tall Clorox/Lysol cocktail with a maraschino cherry on top.

BTW - ditto on the charitable contributions!

Talked to daughter yesterday and she was so mad at receiving the letter she said she was tempted to return the letter.... with the check.  (She needed the $ so didn't)  What a waste of money and a uncalled for pat on the back.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 4/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, 2gypsies said:

Talked to daughter yesterday and she was so mad at receiving the letter she said she was tempted to return the letter.... with the check.  (She needed the $ so didn't)  What a waste of money and a uncalled for pat on the back.

Agree -  your daughter should  use it - and/or donate any overage to a local food bank or charity.  Either will make better use of it than returning it to the Treasury.

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Removed (my) "verboten" political comment

54 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

I'll bet there will be lots of folks who are so mad that they are "tempted to return the letter with the check".  But they won't.  Money over principals every time...

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Returning the money doesn't do anyone any good.  The money is needed to bolster the economy so needs to be spent (hopefully on american made goods, restaurants, etc) or donated to a charity which is supporting those out of a job right now. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

16 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

I would guess everyone will receive one.

We got our "presidential letter" today. I'll not comment further since political discussions are forbidden here, and with good reason.  🙄

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I do not get a tax refund but do get Social Security direct deposit. I checked online and the IRS site said a check was mailed to me on April 24th. My address on my return is the Escapees mail forwarding address in Livingston. Hope the check is in the mail!

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer