Removing Teton landing gear cylinders

rpsinc

My landing gear is weeping.  It appears that the cylinders need to be rebuilt.  Not typically a difficult think to do but just wondering if anyone has taken them out and how difficult was it.  I have a forklift available and a shop.  Seems to me like raise it up a BUNCH to remove them.  I have an '08 Experience with 4" square landing gear.

Marcel

Dig a hole, bigger than a post hole, but just barely. Hook up to truck. Maneuver rig over hole. Pull wrenches. No worries about the trailer falling.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I think I am missing something in this???

Don't lift the rig, it's potentially dangerous to lift it that high, with nothing under it. You'll need to lift it higher than you think. Instead, drop the leg down into the hole, while the trailer is securely connected to the truck.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Our trailer had electric screw jacks in front before we got the BigFoot.  Some dummy (me), bent one leg so it needed to be removed to straighten.  I was amazed at how deep a hole I needed to dig.  Only the back axle would have been on the ground had I used the fork lift.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

23 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Don't lift the rig, it's potentially dangerous to lift it that high, with nothing under it. You'll need to lift it higher than you think. Instead, drop the leg down into the hole, while the trailer is securely connected to the truck.

I agree that lifting it that much could damage the rig/frame and cause to much stress on the rear suspension.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Our trailer had electric screw jacks in front before we got the BigFoot.  Some dummy (me), bent one leg so it needed to be removed to straighten.  I was amazed at how deep a hole I needed to dig.  Only the back axle would have been on the ground had I used the fork lift.

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the braket weld on and the bigfoot system bolt on. Be simple to unbolt and not even lift camper

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't the braket weld on and the bigfoot system bolt on. Be simple to unbolt and not even lift camper

The housing is welded to the frame and the actual hydraulic ram is in the housing retained by a bolt. This is why it needs to be dropped down. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Correct.  It was the old screw jack that I bent, and only the lower portion.  I left the welded portion in place and dug a hole to drop the lower leg down.  I have a sloped apron at one end of the shop, and with a little imagination, and some wood blocks, was able to cheat a bit.  But, I still had to dig down over a foot in a gravel drive.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was considering adding that to mine a few years ago. May still but not top priority at this time. Was thinking i could weld on brackets and bolt it on without lifting mine. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• 1 month later...

Speaking of landing gear. Mine dont weep. But the previous owner replaced mine. They look like those that come on a continental. anyone recall seeing one and maybe know who made the jacks. The legs are a good 6 inches in diameter.  Think semi trailer. I dont know what brand they are but if imagine one jack could lift the nose.  

22 hours ago, Consolenut said:

Speaking of landing gear. Mine dont weep. But the previous owner replaced mine. They look like those that come on a continental. anyone recall seeing one and maybe know who made the jacks. The legs are a good 6 inches in diameter.  Think semi trailer. I dont know what brand they are but if imagine one jack could lift the nose.  

Not sure what make trailer you have but I have a Teton and it has the large landing gear, big square tubes.  They dont swing back.  And lots of capacity.  When that job comes up on the list, I will share what I did to remove them from the trailer.  I am likely going to use the hole in the ground idea that Darryl offered and go from there.

Marcel

on the stock Teton hydraulic jacks, you can lift up the front, drop out the drop leg or torch it off; Unbolt the top part and there is plenty of room to take it out in the bay. To replace, put the drop leg up in the hole, then the cylinder/top piece in through the bay, lower through hole lining up the drop leg. 

For the bigfoots, installed from the top and just attached the foot on the outside. 

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4