Volunteer Positions Canceled

Twotoes

I was supposed to volunteer at Andersonville Civil War Memorial in GA for the month of April, and Shenandoah NP in VA for May and June as well as Teddy Roosevelt NP in ND for the months of July thru Sept. Andersonville is closed and I was told not to come. Shenandoah is closed and not expected to reopen until mid to late June if at all. I just got word today that Teddy Rooselvelt is closed and will not be opening their camp grounds at all for the entire summer. It looks like all National Parks are closed and may remain closed for some time. I am full time and have no where to go now. Anybody know of any camp host jobs available?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Some states' state parks are honoring their camp host commitments, even if the campgrounds are closed.  I host a lot in VA state parks, and that is their procedure (at least so far--things can change on a dime nowadays).  They have their hosts working maintenance tasks since there are no campers to tend to.  If you are interested, VA state parks take applications through a central person in Richmond.  I don't know if they will be taking new hosts on or not, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.  You can start the process by going to the VA State Park website and searching for camp host opportunities.  Good luck.  I really hope you can find a safe spot to park and to contribute.

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

Thanks Carolaow. The National Park in VA told me that they were not going to open their parks camp grounds because of an order by the VA Governor. I don’t know how the VA State parks can have anyone camping, even volunteers, if the camp grounds are supposed to be closed. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 minute ago, Twotoes said:

I don’t know how the VA State parks can have anyone camping, even volunteers, if the camp grounds are supposed to be closed. 

No personal experience here but it is my understanding that sites for volunteers are often not in the campground itself. If the sites are, for instance, by a maintenance facility they may not be subject to a campground closure. Such sites could still comply with social distancing.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I don’t know how the VA State parks can have anyone camping, even volunteers, if the camp grounds are supposed to be closed. 

It could be worth the effort to check, as much would depend on how the governor phrased the order and how it is applied. Having been a volunteer for several different states and agencies, some have designated staff areas that might not be subject to the closure. It would also probably depend on the facility manager's needs that he feels he can justify. In my opinion it would be very unlikely that a state employ would push the limit of the governor's order for a volunteer who was not previously scheduled to be there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have seen volunteers used in closed parks just to keep and eye on the park or as security that does nothing but notify someone if something happens.  I once had a request to do that at a COE park that was closed for the season.  I had met to volunteer coordinator a few months earlier and they really just wanted someone on site during the closed period.  I hated to turn him down but I was having a non critical medical issue and the park was too remote.  Any other time I would have liked remote and almost no one else around fpr a few months.

Edited by bigjim
finishing an observation

8 hours ago, bigjim said:

I once had a request to do that at a COE park that was closed for the season. 

About ten years ago we did that in Avalon Park on Lake Lavon, northeast of Dallas, also a COE lake. But we were also returning volunteers who the staff knew from several previous stays with them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Here is a retirement community in S. Ohio that is looking to fill the last of 3 RV sites they have. We just arrived a week ago  and it seems like a nice gig.

Waverly, OH   USA     Show on Google Maps       2019-02-28 14:45:24 7519
Combine Your Love Of RVing With Your Love Of Gardening
mail?url=http%3A%2F%2Fworkampingjobs.com%2Fuploads%2F7519.jpg&t=1587168990&ymreqid=9afdea29-0a21-9f8d-2fa9-a9000b01c400&sig=l1C3ZBmQPaqeiaT8uPlvBQ--~C

Job Duties:          Groundskeeper
Compensation:   See ad text.

Job Duties: Help older residents take care of their front yard gardens, work in the Cooper Wildflower Woods, and help with maintenance of the Garden Railroad, and the Hummingbird Garden.
Compensation: FHU, opportunity for private contract work in the village
Details: We are looking for a retired couple who would love to experience life in a retirement community for a few months while living in their own RV. Bristol Village is located in beautiful rural southern Ohio at the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. We need volunteers April through November. You choose which months. We expect 20 hours per week per couple for FHUs.

Duties include weeding, watering, planting, and grooming flower beds and gardens. Resident volunteers will be working along side of you on some days while other days you will be on your own. Schedules are flexible as long as you get in your 20 hours per week giving you ample time to travel and explore the area on your own. Bristol Village residents are extremely friendly and active. You will have free access to all the activities and facilities offered including a swimming pool, exercise room and a cafe. In addition, there are a number of state parks and attractions within a short driving distance. hallbetsy@155hotmail.com

For camphosts that are looking at WA state this is what they have sent out.   I appreciate that they are looking out for their staff. Not all campers are careful with their social distancing and infection control.....

"We are currently looking at a phased approach for re-opening parks after the order has lifted, which may affect the timing for when hosts return to our parks. Many of our hosts fall within the high-risk or vulnerable category and we want to ensure we have the proper safety protocols and procedures in place before bringing them back into our parks.

At this time, we will not be bringing backs hosts for the month of May. Placement of hosts in June may be delayed and scheduled hosts should wait for an update before showing up at the park."