Cell Booster - any recommendations ?

Just now, time_traveler said:

Anyone familiar with weBoost 4G-X RV

I believe it is limited to a boost of up to 50dbm, but can be used while driving down the road. We have the Connect 4-G with has a boost of up to 65 dbm,  but is made for stationary use only.  The important think to remember is that there has to be at least some signal for the booster to boost.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Another thing we have noticed about the inside antenna that came with our system and that is your cellular device, whether it be a cell phone, or a "mifi" device, they needs to right on top of or very close to the inside antenna for best performance.

33 minutes ago, pjstough said:

Another thing we have noticed about the inside antenna that came with our system and that is your cellular device, whether it be a cell phone, or a "mifi" device, they needs to right on top of or very close to the inside antenna for best performance.

I heard that your device needs to be REALLY close to the inside antenna. I have been toying with it getting one, but so far I have been able to get a decent signal.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

5 minutes ago, rynosback said:

I heard that your device needs to be REALLY close to the inside antenna. I have been toying with it getting one, but so far I have been able to get a decent signal.

If you're primarily using the amplifier for a data signal, rather than a voice call, then the distance between the antenna and your phone shouldn't be a big deal IMO.  You're probably going to use the phone's wifi hotspot or you're going to USB-tether it to a router so you, yourself, don't need to be near where it is.  Even if you do want to make a voice call just use it in speakerphone mode or get a Bluetooth headset.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

20 minutes ago, Dapperdan said:

We have one, it works as advertised.  My experience has been, your hot spot or your phone does need to be close to the indoor antenna but you od get the signal boost!  I like mine, we have the unit you're looking at.

Dan

What make and model do you have?

We have the We Boost Connect RV 65  471203.  Keep in mind you're going to have to have your hotspot or cell phone fairly close to the inside antenna, by that I mean within a couple of feet.  It works great for boosting a cell signal as long as you understand how it operates.  I also have a signal finder app on my phone so I know which direction to point the outside antenna. The RV 65 has a DIRECTIONAL antenna, to achieve the best results you'll want to know which direction your cell signal is coming from!

Dan

LDSP.jpg

If you're looking for just a cell booster, You have plenty of good advice and options here. If you're looking to share data with it, here is a link to an article I found very helpful.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-month-unlimited-internet-interested-442091.html

I've never seen a tombstone that said "He was a great employee". Be one but be an even greater husband, father, friend and person. That's whats important.

• 1 month later...

I have the Weboost car kit, which is the same electronics as the RV kit with a different antenna.  I got a free cell/wifi/GPS antenna from a friend and will add that some day.  But so far it has worked great as is.  I just stuck the car antenna on the trailer roof and ran the wires in the door.

I spoke with a guy that has the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV model. He says it is 50/50. He said that sometimes it makes the signal weaker, makes voice calls worse and sometimes everything better. This guy works from the road and is very tech savvy.

On 5/19/2020 at 11:37 PM, rynosback said:

I spoke with a guy that has the WeBoost Drive 4G-X RV model. He says it is 50/50. He said that sometimes it makes the signal weaker, makes voice calls worse and sometimes everything better. This guy works from the road and is very tech savvy.

I've found that if you have a good signal w/o the booster and you turn on the booster it can degrade the performance, so if we don't need it we don't turn it on.

On the other hand if we have a poor signal and turn it on it will improve the signal and performance.

So the answer is ...............  it depends

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

I've never had the booster make a bad signal worse.  It will definitely cause issues with a decent signal, and may make it worse.  It should only be used when needed.  We are totally dependent on the internet for our jobs, which is to manage servers, so basically we're connected 24/7.  We notice when things work or don't.

I just found it weird that lets say a 3 bar signal, which is not that bad in my book. The the booster could degrade the signal instead of boosting it to 4 or 5 bars. At least that is how I logically think.