TP shortage caused by hoarders? Not so fast...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I was going to hoard anything, it would be produce.  With the borders closed, there's no one to pick the crop in the field.  I saw on the news where they interviewed a farmer with 70,000 acres and no one to harvest it.  Normally, he uses migrant workers from Mexico on work visas.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

The last 24 roll we purchased was at a Publix in Florida maybe 3 weeks ago. We were in a Giant Eagle   here at home in Ohio this morning and they had some still in stock. Check out the RV TP section at Walmart they also had TP. We do not have any of the above mentioned diseases.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

The good news is dunkin doughnuts  is still open when they close we are in real trouble.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

4 hours ago, richfaa said:

The last 24 roll we purchased was at a Publix in Florida maybe 3 weeks ago. We were in a Giant Eagle   here at home in Ohio this morning and they had some still in stock. Check out the RV TP section at Walmart they also had TP. We do not have any of the above mentioned diseases.

About 3 weeks ago, the Publix, Winn Dixie, and Walmart in St Mary's, GA all had empty TP shelves including the RV section at Walmart. We haven't shopped since getting to our upstate NY cottage, but our daughters tell us Walmart and the two regional chain markets here also have empty TP shelves. We're not low yet, so hopefully the distribution warehouses will be catching up before we need more.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

chirakawa, https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/news/local/arizona-environment/2020/04/05/farmworkers-harvesting-vegetables-yuma-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/2948216001/

Don't know where that outfit is you reported, but the San Luis, Los Algodones borders are open. In fact on I-8 this afternoon, the reader board even gave the times that the Lukeville border crossing is open. Day workers coming across daily and the lettuce wagons are on the move to the cooling houses here in Yuma. Soon moving to Salinas, CA. for that season. How do you hoard perishable veggies? 

17 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

How do you hoard perishable veggies? 

You put them in those green bags that keep them fresh longer. You turn tomatoes into tomato sauce. You parboil then freeze sliced celery to use in cooking. You freeze whole bananas in their skins to use later in smoothies or banana bread. Etc. It can be one of those "where there's a will there's a way" things.

Linda

For that celery our favorite is to take one cup of celery and add to one can of cream of chicken soup, one can of sliced water chestnuts including the liquid, and one small jar of drained pimentos. Heat and serve as a side dish or add chicken for a main dish which can be served over your choice of starch if you eat carbs.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

17 hours ago, chirakawa said:

If I was going to hoard anything, it would be produce.  With the borders closed, there's no one to pick the crop in the field.  I saw on the news where they interviewed a farmer with 70,000 acres and no one to harvest it.  Normally, he uses migrant workers from Mexico on work visas.

Which is sad with so many people now unemployed and so many on Welfare. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

9 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

chirakawa, https://www.azcentral.com/picture-gallery/news/local/arizona-environment/2020/04/05/farmworkers-harvesting-vegetables-yuma-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/2948216001/

Don't know where that outfit is you reported, but the San Luis, Los Algodones borders are open. In fact on I-8 this afternoon, the reader board even gave the times that the Lukeville border crossing is open. Day workers coming across daily and the lettuce wagons are on the move to the cooling houses here in Yuma. Soon moving to Salinas, CA. for that season. How do you hoard perishable veggies? 

I believe the farmer they interviewed was in Georgia.  I don't remember all the details but his concern was that work visas were not being processed at the usual rate and he expected to come up very short of his normal number of pickers.

Perhaps crossing for a few days is different than getting a visa for a full season.  I don't know.

How do you hoard veggies?  As a child, I observed an annual ritual at my home called "canning".  If I was a hoarder, which I'm not, I'd figure out a way, which would probably involve freezing.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Back to toilet paper. I have decided to admit I was wrong about my usage. With the new Charmin Megarolls, we only have to change the roll every other day. I know that still seems like a lot but besides my explosions I have two other conditions that require using toilet paper. If you truly need to know what they are in order to stop judging people when you don't know their situation I will tell you.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, pjstough said:

People were hoarding TP way before restaurants started closing.

Price chopper on Merle Hay.jpg

Glass houses (out-houses?) and throwing stones......

"We" will never know.......but this lady *could* be involved supplying food and supplies to those who can't get out and shop for essentials themselves. 

Believe it or not.....There really *ARE* folks who do things like that - and don't need a "smiley face" decal on their RVs to be Good Samaritans!

How 'bout you?

Edited by Pappy Yokum

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Back to toilet paper. I have decided to admit I was wrong about my usage. With the new Charmin Megarolls, we only have to change the roll every other day. I know that still seems like a lot but besides my explosions I have two other conditions that require using toilet paper. If you truly need to know what they are in order to stop judging people when you don't know their situation I will tell you.

Linda

I think the point is that unless there was an incredible increase of people with diseases like IBS, Crohn's, etc., that happened to coincide with the increase in COVID-19, there are people hoarding TP...

Dutch

We go to Walmart about once a week for shopping, and each time we check for RV tp, usually without success. Today, though, there was plenty, at at the usual price. Jo Ann picked up two packages, only to be told at checkout that there was a limit of one package per person. No sign to that effect. We went back later and each of us got a package.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

4 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

I think the point is that unless there was an incredible increase of people with diseases like IBS, Crohn's, etc., that happened to coincide with the increase in COVID-19, there are people hoarding TP...

I live in a complex that offers assisted living. People here shop for their neighbors. My point is that you have no idea why anyone might be buying lots of TP. What if those two women work in a care center and were buying for all the residents? Unless you actually ask them, you cannot know why they were buying so much. So, why would you assume they were hoarding? You know about that word ass u me, right?

Linda

On 4/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, pjstough said:

People were hoarding TP way before restaurants started closing.

Price chopper on Merle Hay.jpg

Let's add another possibility, if this was at say a large box store like Costco maybe they were buying that much to resell at a local small grocery store in a large city, I have seen folks do that with the 2 liter bottle of sodas because they were cheap then they sell them at a higher price at their store. Not price gouging per say just add cost for local convenience.   Just a thought

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

We can make up all the possibilities we want for individual purchasers, but the fact remains that the demand for TP exploded along with COVID-19. Are some of those folks possibly just doing routine restocking of some sort? Sure, that's possible. But all of that sudden demand? Common sense says no, it's not routine at all...

Dutch

Go see this segment on the Toilet Paper manufacturing problem that aired on Chris Hayes program on MSNBC last night:

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-truth-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-81759813784

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

11 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Go see this segment on the Toilet Paper manufacturing problem that aired on Chris Hayes program on MSNBC last night:

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/the-truth-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-81759813784

Not a valid conclusion. If you shop for commercial paper, such as the 24" rolls, it's not available either. I've checked multiple times. However, the supply line issues inherent in commercial vs. residential are real, so a couple valid points. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

6 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

We can make up all the possibilities we want for individual purchasers, but the fact remains that the demand for TP exploded along with COVID-19. Are some of those folks possibly just doing routine restocking of some sort? Sure, that's possible. But all of that sudden demand? Common sense says no, it's not routine at all...

But, routines have been disrupted. According to the original post bathroom stops we used to make at school, work, restaurants, etc. are all happening at home now so the need for residential TP did, indeed, increase.

Linda