TP shortage caused by hoarders? Not so fast...

TP shortages and grocery store lines aren't caused by hoarders but by closing restaurants and public toilets.

If you're working and eat your lunch out, that's 1/3 of your daily food intake that didn't come from a supermarket.   And not using public toilets and their TP has shifted that demand to home use.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

Edited by Lou Schneider

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, pjstough said:

People were hoarding TP way before restaurants started closing.

They sure were. At one Walmart with a 24 roll limit, I watched a family of five check out separately with each member pushing their own cart with the maximum count in each one.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Definitely what I've observed.

Maybe. When our income was from the Army we only shopped once a month since we only got paid once a month. And three of us wives carpooled for that shopping so we would have had three months worth of TP in our baskets. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

7 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

They sure were. At one Walmart with a 24 roll limit, I watched a family of five check out separately with each member pushing their own cart with the maximum count in each one.

Again, maybe. We go through nearly a roll of paper most days. So 24 rolls is about a month's worth for us. And there we five people in their family. Again, if they only shopped once a month they might have been buying basic supplies. It is so hard to know what people are doing just by seeing them one time.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

56 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Maybe. When our income was from the Army we only shopped once a month since we only got paid once a month. And three of us wives carpooled for that shopping so we would have had three months worth of TP in our baskets. 

Linda

Duplicate

Edited by Jaydrvr

55 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Linda

I think my exact words were "definitely what I've observed," but it's just an opinion based on observation. Jay

Are we saying that THAT many people took care of business while at restaurants? I would never have imagined. And a roll per day? For how many people? I never really payed any attention to how much we use until this all started so I started to pay attention. As it turns out we get on average 8 days out of a roll, that's for 2 people and we only use the bathroom at our rig now of course. 

Dave & Diane

2020 New Horizon Majestic  5th wheel

2018 Ram 5500

2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH (SOLD)
2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited (SOLD)

http://daveanddiane.wordpress.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWqRmO1rO4cu3rFANF1iG6Q

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10752;80/st/20120701/e/Went+fulltime/dt/-2/k/271f/event.png

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

Again, maybe. We go through nearly a roll of paper most days. So 24 rolls is about a month's worth for us. And there we five people in their family. Again, if they only shopped once a month they might have been buying basic supplies. It is so hard to know what people are doing just by seeing them one time.

Linda

120 mega rolls is a little more than "a month's supply" even for a family of five I expect.

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch_12078 said:

120 mega rolls is a little more than "a month's supply" even for a family of five I expect.

No wonder people have problems with the black tanks plugging.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

3 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

A roll a day ??? 

No wonder there's none left on the shelves . 

If you haven't experienced IBD or Crohn's disease, then you may not realize ....... let me put this politely..... the clean up required after.... your gut tearing episode.  The best way to describe it is to go eat some gas station sushi, chase it with a cold can of Van Camps pork and beans with a chaser of your cheapest rot gut whiskey.....    Now have this happen randomly several times a day.....

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

5 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Duplicate

I don't see a duplicate. I did respond to two different posts in a row so maybe that felt like a duplicate to you.

1 hour ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

If you haven't experienced IBD or Crohn's disease, then you may not realize ....... let me put this politely..... the clean up required after.... your gut tearing episode.  The best way to describe it is to go eat some gas station sushi, chase it with a cold can of Van Camps pork and beans with a chaser of your cheapest rot gut whiskey.....    Now have this happen randomly several times a day.....

Good explanation. Thank you.

Dave once commented on my "excess" usage so I asked him if he'd rather I not. He decided in my favor--and his. 🙂

Linda

3 hours ago, sandsys said:

I don't see a duplicate. I did respond to two different posts in a row so maybe that felt like a duplicate to you.

Good explanation. Thank you.

Dave once commented on my "excess" usage so I asked him if he'd rather I not. He decided in my favor--and his. 🙂

Linda

Duplicate means I inadvertently posted twice.

I had a bidet in my last house and put one in this one immediately. We like the dual nozzle self cleaning ones. Under fifty bucks on Amazon. TP just for drying. Wet wipes for the rest.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

11 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Are you suggesting the incidence of IBD/Crohn's increased dramatically causing increased TP demand at the same time COVID-19 hoarders caused the other shortages we've seen in the markets?

Dutch

If you believe the article at the beginning of the thread, there should be a surplus of commercial toilet paper. I just ordered an under sink drain pump for my home from Global Industries, and checked their janitor supplies page for toilet paper.  ALL toilet paper, even the 2' diameter commercial rolls were out  of stock.

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

We have never had or do we have a TP problem. Since space is limited in a 5Th wheel RV we  buy the 24 roll pack an we have no problem doing that.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

54 minutes ago, richfaa said:

we  buy the 24 roll pack an we have no problem doing that.

You would if you were here.  With an unopened 24 roll pack, you can trade for a two year old bass boat and free fishing lessons. 🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, richfaa said:

We have never had or do we have a TP problem. Since space is limited in a 5Th wheel RV we  buy the 24 roll pack an we have no problem doing that.

Where are you buying these 24 roll packs and how long ago did you buy one?

Dutch

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

If you believe the article at the beginning of the thread, there should be a surplus of commercial toilet paper. I just ordered an under sink drain pump for my home from Global Industries, and checked their janitor supplies page for toilet paper.  ALL toilet paper, even the 2' diameter commercial rolls were out  of stock.

Exactly.... Everything I've seen commercially that resembles toilet paper is out of stock. Jay

14 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I thankfully have not experienced either of those 'conditions' . And , I feel sorry for those that have .

I'd imagine that having to use a roll a day would leave one's business rather raw , in short order . 

So , It seems logical that a different approach would soon be sought . At least it would by me . 

Maybe as RV utilizes : a bidet ? 

Goes around , comes around .