Not sure which address I should use for 2019 tax return

So here's my situation. I've been out of my apartment and full-timing for almost a year but my former apartment's "physical" address is still on my drivers license. I have a CMRA but I haven't changed my drivers license yet, mainly because most of the advice I've gotten was to keep the "link" to a real physical address until I purchased an RV (I've been full-timing the past year in a tent, which obviously is a whole other problem right now because all campgrounds are closed, and something I'll probably be posting about in another forum). 

At this point my USPS mail forwarding is about to run out, which is something else to consider, maybe. I added the CMRA to all of my personal accounts as a mailing address, but my apartment address is still listed as my primary residence for most of my accounts. At least with the CMRA as my mailing address things shouldn't be mailed to my apartment address since someone else has been living there the past year. 

Both my physical and CMRA addresses are in Florida, so I only have to deal with a federal tax return. But I can't decide which address to use for my tax return for 2019. Can anyone see a benefit of using one over the other? Ultimately I will permanently be at the CMRA on my DL etc, but I couldn't even do that right now if I wanted to with all the government offices closed. So as far as government entities are concerned I guess I'm still at my former apartment's address.

Also, my question isn't about the stimulus check, since I already know I'm going to have to file some change of address paperwork since the IRS is automatically going to use the address on my 2018 return (which is my former apartment's address). 

I'd appreciate any advice on this from my fellow full-timers!

I would recommend using the CMRA.  If the IRS has issues with your tax filing, they generally contact you via the USPS.  If you don't get those letters, things can get worse.  I'm not really sure why you haven't been working on moving over to the CMRA.  The only company I've had a problem with (using the TX service) is Bank of America.  All my other financial institutions haven't had a problem.  It is easy and convenient.

With regards to stimulus checks, the IRS is trying to do direct deposit as much as possible.  If you did not list a bank account on the previous year's filing, you may be able to update the IRS.  They claim to be building a portal.  Useful info is here - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

What is a CMRA?  Why don’t you just use the Escapees mail forwarding service address. You don’t need to have your domicile at that address. Anyone can use a mail forwarding address without changing their domicile. Many RVers who have a physical residence but travel for several months in the spring, summer and fall use a mail forwarding address. Escapees is open, and everything can be done on the phone, even the payment. You can change your drivers license later if you want to or keep your CMRA on you license. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

12 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

What is a CMRA?  

Commercial Mail Receiving Agent -- like the Escapees mail service.

1 hour ago, Skycrath said:

Also, my question isn't about the stimulus check, since I already know I'm going to have to file some change of address paperwork since the IRS is automatically going to use the address on my 2018 return (which is my former apartment's address). 

If you gave the IRS your bank account information when you filed your 2018 or 2019 taxes for auto deposit of your refund, they will use that information to auto deposit your stimulus check.

If you did not receive a refund for either of those years, or you chose to receive the refund via a check sent by snail mail, then as Beerboy said, above, the IRS will have a portal where you can give them your bank account information.

"The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail."

Edited by LindaH

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I filed my 2018 and 2019 tax returns but my only income is rental income so I do not get a refund. I do collect Social Security which is a direct deposit. Will my stimulus check be direct deposited by the SSA to my above account or do I need to go on the portal to registure a bank account with the IRS?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Beerboy said:

I would recommend using the CMRA.  If the IRS has issues with your tax filing, they generally contact you via the USPS.  If you don't get those letters, things can get worse.  I'm not really sure why you haven't been working on moving over to the CMRA.  The only company I've had a problem with (using the TX service) is Bank of America.  All my other financial institutions haven't had a problem.  It is easy and convenient.

With regards to stimulus checks, the IRS is trying to do direct deposit as much as possible.  If you did not list a bank account on the previous year's filing, you may be able to update the IRS.  They claim to be building a portal.  Useful info is here - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that angle, if the IRS needed to follow-up with me. I've had trouble with BoA too, even just trying to add my CMRA as a second address (mailing address). And I didn't get a refund last couple years, so IRS doesn't have any direct deposit info for me.

First thing is get a bank account. one with no fees such as Ally Bank. You may have to work at that, but it can be done.  Use that bank account for direct deposit with the IRS. In Florida Escapees RV Club offers what you need to establish a USPO address. 

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

I do collect Social Security which is a direct deposit. Will my stimulus check be direct deposited by the SSA to my above account or do I need to go on the portal to registure a bank account with the IRS?

Social Security recipients won't have to take any action.
Those who normally receive their benefits directly in their bank account will receive the stimulus money in the same way. Others will receive a check in the mail -- though it will likely take longer to receive the payment than those who use direct deposit.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI