South Dakota domicile

We've been SD residents for the past 5 years . It's time to renew drivers licenses , which has to be done in person or at least a visit to SD within the last year and a receipt to prove it has to be 'shown' . 

We intended to make that^ happen on our way north this Spring , but ???

Maybe have to delay 'passage' . 😞

Goes around , comes around .

My opinion is that you would be wise to stay where you are until things improve. Nearly all states are now doing things to discourage travel. You are much more familiar with the area where you now are and so should be able to do things like social distancing much more effectively.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We also are SD residents.   

4 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

We've been SD residents for the past 5 years . It's time to renew drivers licenses , which has to be done in person or at least a visit to SD within the last year and a receipt to prove it has to be 'shown' . 

. 😞

I'm pretty sure SD law permits an extension of a DL renewal.  Take a look at the DPS website.  I had explored this once when I wasn't sure we were going to get there by the May expiration of my license.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

6 hours ago, docj said:

I'm pretty sure SD law permits an extension of a DL renewal.  Take a look at the DPS website.  I had explored this once when I wasn't sure we were going to get there by the May expiration of my license.

The do offer extensions. I know as they extended mine for 6 months. You get an email with the paper extension. They are always kind and helpful when calling them.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

20 hours ago, docj said:

14 hours ago, rynosback said:

The do offer extensions. I know as they extended mine for 6 months. You get an email with the paper extension. They are always kind and helpful when calling them.

Thanks for that^ . We'll check into it , just in case .  :)

On 3/29/2020 at 11:00 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe have to delay 'passage' . 😞

A SD drivers license is valid  for 5 years. You can renew as early as 6 months in advance. Not sure how far past the renewal date you can go, but with theDMV being closed till May I’m sure you can get an extension. If you have a physical address you can renew by mail just like a vehicle registration. But if you have a mail forwarding address you must renew in person and show at least one overnight stay in a hotel, motel or camp ground within the previous year. If I were you I would stop in a motel, hotel or camp ground, if you can find one open, on your way north. Save the receipt as proof of an overnight stay. When DMV reopens call them and see if you can renew by mail with a copy of the receipt since they were closed when you overnighted. Just a thought. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

If I were you I would stop in a motel, hotel or camp ground, if you can find one open, on your way north. Save the receipt as proof of an overnight stay. When DMV reopens call them and see if you can renew by mail with a copy of the receipt since they were closed when you overnighted. Just a thought. 

Be sure your overnight is in the same county as your mail forwarder and that, if there are two of you, both names are on the receipt.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

A SD drivers license is valid  for 5 years. You can renew as early as 6 months in advance. Not sure how far past the renewal date you can go, but with theDMV being closed till May I’m sure you can get an extension. If you have a physical address you can renew by mail just like a vehicle registration. But if you have a mail forwarding address you must renew in person and show at least one overnight stay in a hotel, motel or camp ground within the previous year. If I were you I would stop in a motel, hotel or camp ground, if you can find one open, on your way north. Save the receipt as proof of an overnight stay. When DMV reopens call them and see if you can renew by mail with a copy of the receipt since they were closed when you overnighted. Just a thought. 

9 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Be sure your overnight is in the same county as your mail forwarder and that, if there are two of you, both names are on the receipt.

Linda

Yes , we are aware ^^ . And , thanks for affirmations from both Twotoes and Linda . :) .

4 hours ago, sandsys said:

Linda

Are you sure that you have to overnight in the county that your mailing service is in? I would think anywhere in SD would do, as it is a State license not a county one.

Your stay does not have to be in the same county. I stayed in Custer State Park which is in Custer County and use the Escapees address in Box Elder which is in Pennington County. The DMV in Rapid City, Pennington County accepted my stay in Custer. The time before that, when I renewed 5 years ago I stayed in Sioux Falls and the DMV in in Rapid City accepted that as well. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, dirtyboots said:

I believe you can get your drivers license anywhere, as I did, BUT, it changed my voting county, so had to fill out new papers for voting.

I was thinking about ^this^ since we did both at the same time. I guess you could move to another place to register to vote separate from where you stayed to get your driver's license but why would you want to do that? Unless you are looking for an excuse to not be able to vote in the next election? 🙂

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 minutes ago, sandsys said:

I was thinking about ^this^ since we did both at the same time. I guess you could move to another place to register to vote separate from where you stayed to get your driver's license but why would you want to do that? Unless you are looking for an excuse to not be able to vote in the next election? 🙂

Linda

Registering for voting can all be done by mail. 

1 hour ago, Danandfreda said:

The way they explained it to me a month and a half ago you can renew or get your license and register anywhere in the state. They got the voter registration straightened out to do it all at one place. 

You can renew your driver’s license anywhere in the State but you must register in you county because they want the tax dollars, however you can register by mail. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

When I originally registered my vehicles and address it was with MyDakotaAddress - in, I think, Lake County (Madison).  That was all by mail.  

When I made the trip to SD to visit/get a Drivers License, I was in Custer and went to Hot Springs, that happened to be open on a day that worked for me.  No problems!!!  THEN, MyDakotaAddress  took a dump, and I changed my domicile to Box Elder, which is in Pennington County.  THEY asked me to send in new papers.  Just telling you what MY experience was...no need to set me straight :)

1 hour ago, dirtyboots said:

When I originally registered my vehicles and address it was with MyDakotaAddress - in, I think, Lake County (Madison).  That was all by mail.  

When I made the trip to SD to visit/get a Drivers License, I was in Custer and went to Hot Springs, that happened to be open on a day that worked for me.  No problems!!!  THEN, MyDakotaAddress  took a dump, and I changed my domicile to Box Elder, which is in Pennington County.  THEY asked me to send in new papers.  Just telling you what MY experience was...no need to set me straight :)

I was with Teri Lund also. Did the switch same as you with no issues.