Dual use

Benny G.

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

I am not sure but I assume you mean to tow with a truck that also has enough cargo space to be able to haul freight while towing the fifth wheel? If that is correct, I'm not aware of anyone who does that but I would think that it could be done. Perhaps someone on the forum has done this?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Insurance for commercial use is expensive and can be complex.  Additionally if the combined weight requires a CDL then logs and hour limits apply.  Commercial licensing for the vehicle are necessary.  Unless you are planning a lot of hauling, nearly every week the costs will not leave much if any for profit. What type of hauling are you considering.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

Insurance for commercial use is expensive and can be complex.  Additionally if the combined weight requires a CDL then logs and hour limits apply.  Commercial licensing for the vehicle are necessary.  Unless you are planning a lot of hauling, nearly every week the costs will not leave much if any for profit. What type of hauling are you considering.

I guess the same old saw applies here.. "it depends." That's exactly what I'm doing and have been for some years. If we weren't in this unusual circumstance, this would've been my last full season (spring through fall) and I had planned to transition to a few weeks in the spring and a few weeks in the fall. We'd spend the rest of the year enjoying retirement. I don't need more than a couple months a year to pay the overhead on my truck and trailer. Jay

By staying recreational we have been able to insure and license our HDT for a lot less than commercial rates.  Insurance rates vary a lot by state and geographic region but here in Colorado we are able to license and insure our truck for less than our pickup.  Both are older but our 2001 Volvo costs less than $600 a year for insurance.  License plates are also cheaper for the Volvo.  Last time I checked commercial insurance costs were considerably more.

Edited by Randyretired
Clarity

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Randyretired, those are all great points, but I refer back to "it depends." Unfortunately, I live in the great state of Florida, where a recreational fifth wheel hitch is frowned upon. If I lived in a state like Colorado where it's much easier to do a private license plate of some kind, that would be great. So, it does depend on your location to some extent. I like making a little extra cash, plus paying for repairs, upgrades and fuel with pre-tax dollars makes me happy as well. Plus, I'm leased to a company that makes this easy to do. Jay

6 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I guess the same old saw applies here.. "it depends." That's exactly what I'm doing and have been for some years. If we weren't in this unusual circumstance, this would've been my last full season (spring through fall) and I had planned to transition to a few weeks in the spring and a few weeks in the fall. We'd spend the rest of the year enjoying retirement. I don't need more than a couple months a year to pay the overhead on my truck and trailer. Jay

Thanks for the reply Jay. What type of freight are you generally hauling? I'm thinking about hauling cars.

29 minutes ago, Benny G. said:

Thanks for the reply Jay. What type of freight are you generally hauling? I'm thinking about hauling cars.

I pull a step deck and actually do haul mostly vehicles. Occasionally there are some cars, but mostly they're larger vehicles, like ambulances, school buses, utility trucks, etc. My trailer was custom built for the specialized loads I move. I still occasionally do pipe, insulation, Jacuzzis or other random freight, but vehicles are easier on my old worn-out body. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

Benny G. 

First thing, a Mack Pinnacle is listed as a class 8 truck, or hdt.  You might find a factory single axle, but it's still a big truck.

I have a both a Volvo for pulling the camper and a Mack CH for hauling grain.  Neither is well suited to do the other's job.  Both are older, and In my case, it's not much more expensive to have separate trucks. That said, there are several folks who stop in over on the HDT side that are doing what you propose.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net