Tele-help for self RV repairs?

Kirk W

First of all, this subject was not my idea but rather one that a fellow Escapee thought of and because he felt it might be a need that some of us could fill, he called me to discuss the idea. After a couple of days of brainstorming, we jointly came up with this idea. 

In this time of crisis there are bound to be some fulltimes who have problems with their RV. At least some mobile RV services are becoming reluctant to make calls and many of the repair shops are closed or may close, leaving some of us with no available repairs. The idea is that there are a number of us on these forums who have enough background and experience to be able to assist those who have problems via email, text, or perhaps by phone. If doctors can do this, why not RV repairs? For that reason I am starting this thread and asking for everyone to help us make this work. For those who have technical skills, let's list a brief but painfully honest range of what we may be able and willing to assist another RV owner in self repairs while travels are restricted. If we do this right we should be able to keep RV failures to a minimum. Let's list a way for the person who has a need for repair help to contact us and perhaps we can then fill that need, remotely. 

There are several different possible ways that we could be reached, and each one who volunteers will need to determine what they are comfortable with. You can ask people to use a private message, you could put in an email address, or for those who are comfortable doing so, a cell phone number. 

For myself, I have a 40 year career of doing electrical/mechanical repair work for a living and almost that many years of RV ownership and doing most of my own repairs as well as a lot of helping other RV owners. My expertise is probably strongest with things like furnaces and water heaters, window leaks, minor structural repairs, and most RV electric systems. I have little experience with slides and mostly Big Foot leveling jacks. I have also been off of the road for several years and back to part time so my experience with the newest technologies of the cutting edge is pretty limited, but troubleshooting has always been my strong suit. You can contact me via email at woody(at)1tree(dot)net. I check email at least 3 times per day. If you leave a cell number I will call you. 

How about some of you others joining in this list? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I thought that is what we do on the forum itself.  That way everyone can see what's the problem and how someone got it solved.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

14 minutes ago, dennisvr said:

I thought that is what we do on the forum itself. 

I am thinking of the person who wants direct coaching. If need be, someone on the phone as he works to talk him through the process. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It sounds like a good idea.  That way you can talk out the problem instead of waiting for a response on the forum.  Maybe after you help someone with a problem post what the issue was and how it what resolved.  

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

This is sorta a notice to RVers that normally do not do there own repairs.

It just mite be a good time to start planning if something happens and they cannot get someone to fix it. What do I need to have with me to at least get it operating.

I can see there are going to be some problems with this subject. So if you are in a rv you may want to start thinking differently about solving your problem your self.

So we left Arizona early because of the Covid19. I had a few customers ask me about doing repairs for them while I was packing to leave. I could not help them. Just tried to explain what I could so they mite be able to fix it them selves.

So mobile rv repair may be a problem to perform in the near future. I do not want to be in a rv that I do not know if the viruse is there.

The rv owner may not want someone working on or in there rv that could have the virus. 

So I have decided to stop my RV repair business. At least for the foreseeable future so that everyone can take some time to reconsider the situation at our front doorstep.

Be carful in your travels,    Vern 

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

This is sorta a notice to RVers that normally do not do there own repairs.

It just mite be a good time to start planning if something happens and they cannot get someone to fix it. What do I need to have with me to at least get it operating.

I can see there are going to be some problems with this subject. So if you are in a rv you may want to start thinking differently about solving your problem your self.

So we left Arizona early because of the Covid19. I had a few customers ask me about doing repairs for them while I was packing to leave. I could not help them. Just tried to explain what I could so they mite be able to fix it them selves.

So mobile rv repair may be a problem to perform in the near future. I do not want to be in a rv that I do not know if the viruse is there.

The rv owner may not want someone working on or in there rv that could have the virus. 

So I have decided to stop my RV repair business. At least for the foreseeable future so that everyone can take some time to reconsider the situation at our front doorstep.

Be carful in your travels,    Vern 

My son manages a construction trade repair service for a company and they are considered necessary but he is having trouble getting the crew to work.  Many of the most experienced on the crew refuse to work under the circumstances.  Right now one of their jobs is in a hospital and the crew refuses to go there without full protective equipment which isn't available.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift