Plea for any help!

SuiteSuccess

Ethylene Oxide is what plastics including masks would be sterilized with or gamma 

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Ethylene Oxide is what plastics including masks would be sterilized with or gamma 

Steve 

Yep, that’s what our hospital did, gas sterilization for most things.  However, in the inner cores of most operating suites a good old autoclave is always present for any instrument that gets contaminated and is essential for an operation.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Just a dumb old country boy here but would zapping a cloth mask (dry or damp) in a microwave for a period of time do the trick?

C'mon now David, quit  using common sense.  Besides, I resemble the "country boy" remark.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

17 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Just a dumb old country boy here but would zapping a cloth mask (dry or damp) in a microwave for a period of time do the trick?

Might, if there were no metal nosepiece.  Most surgical and respirator masks are paper.  I know put it on the internet and I’m sure some Georgia or Tennessee boy will grab one and a beer and say “watch this!”

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hmmm.  Just rambling thoughts here.  We know there will be loss of life due to this virus, and for that we're sad.  But will there be a mini population explosion starting around Thanksgiving, to offset?  We pretty sure there won't be any new additions here, but across the country....😮  Carl, you behave.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Hmmm.  Just rambling thoughts here.  We know there will be loss of life due to this virus, and for that we're sad.  But will there be a mini population explosion starting around Thanksgiving, to offset?  We pretty sure there won't be any new additions here, but across the country....😮  Carl, you behave.

Let’s see.  What used to be first on your mind when you’re twenty now falls somewhere between a nap and Andy Griffith reruns when Aunt Bea starts looking sassy 😜.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Might, if there were no metal nosepiece.  Most surgical and respirator masks are paper.  I know put it on the internet and I’m sure some Georgia or Tennessee boy will grab one and a beer and say “watch this!”

Carl, most of the newer microwave ovens can handle a small amount of metal as long as it is not touching the sides of the oven or is close enough to spark over to the wall.

As long as the nose piece is isolated, I don't think there would be an issue.  Don't know what would happen to the elastic bands though.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Both our microwaves have steel racks in them.

But, another observation.  Why is the filter medium so important as to microns it captures, when the mask isn't sealed to the face?  I saw a guy in the grocery yesterday with a mask, and a beard.  Duh.  And what about the eyes?  Bad stuff can enter there too.

Just avoid going out unless you have to, and while you're out, don't breathe.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I see lots of people, medical and not on tv, not wearing the 95's properly'  The metal bar needs to be pressed down to conform to the face.  Many are not.

Masks do no good over a beard.  We do fitting of half masks only on those who are cleanshaven.

I was an OSHA approved respirator fit and tester for a company I worked at.... Kept a pack of Bic razors in the bag for the bearded guys that had to get their tests..... can't paint if you had any facial hair.   I might have my bottle of skinky stuff around somewhere still.  It is amazing at how many people didn't read the instructions that came with the mask.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

5 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I was an OSHA approved respirator fit and tester for a company I worked at.... Kept a pack of Bic razors in the bag for the bearded guys that had to get their tests..... can't paint if you had any facial hair.   I might have my bottle of skinky stuff around somewhere still.  It is amazing at how many people didn't read the instructions that came with the mask.

Some people dig in their heels and refuse to shave facial hair off.  I guess the option is don't work.  Seems strange these 3m facial masks are not adequate for the Covid 19 virus but the could filter out welding smoke....At least that's what the folks at Cloverdale paint told me.

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

Will ultra violet light do anything to sterilize any of these items?

Not adequately.  There are three types of UV light.  A , B, and C.  Only UVC will change the structure of the virus and keep it from replicating.  UVC will burn you in seconds so exposure not recommended.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3