Jump to content
SuiteSuccess

Plea for any help!

Recommended Posts

I posted this elsewhere but want to make it a separate post to reach more people.  My daughter is an elementary school teacher and with the Covid outbreak schools are closed.  She teaches in a disadvantaged school district where a number of the students depend upon the school for meals.  She and her fellow teachers have organized to deliver food to these kids so they don’t grow hungry.  Our food pantry is providing the food, but the teachers need protective gear.  She has an N95 respirator mask but has to clean it after use and reuse.  She has protective glasses but no clothing covers or face shields.
If anyone has any Tyvek suits (painting suits), surgical gowns, ICU plastic gowns, face shields, N95 respirator masks or other protective gear they would allow me to purchase or they would donate I would be most appreciative.  They don’t need huge numbers probably twenty or so.  NONE are available for purchase in our area.  Please contact me at ecrcarl at gmail dot com.  Thank you.  These teachers are risking their health for their kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use big plastic trash bags, get out the snorkel goggles, duct tape a piece of plastic to the bottom and use that for a face guard. Can do the same with a bike helmet if you an find clear plastic. Do the drop and run, you pull up to the location, place a bag of food out and leave. Person picks up the food after you left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Carl,

 

I have some isolation gowns that are open pack that I can't sell.    I would be happy to send you 20

 

Steve

Thanks Steve. I’ll PM you my address. Give me yours and I’ll pay shipping. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SWharton said:

Use big plastic trash bags, get out the snorkel goggles, duct tape a piece of plastic to the bottom and use that for a face guard. Can do the same with a bike helmet if you an find clear plastic. Do the drop and run, you pull up to the location, place a bag of food out and leave. Person picks up the food after you left.

That’s what they’re trying but they still are having some contact 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cloverdale Paint here has 3 white and 3 blue paper paint suits.  I've used them, they have a zipper so can be reused if needed.  I have to call, pay by Visa and make arrangements to pick them up.

There are 2 other locations in the area.  I've not called them yet. 

No N 95's or any other type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Cloverdale Paint here has 3 white and 3 blue paper paint suits.  I've used them, they have a zipper so can be reused if needed.  I have to call, pay by Visa and make arrangements to pick them up.

There are 2 other locations in the area.  I've not called them yet. 

No N 95's or any other type.

Roger,

Thanks.  I’m good on covers.  SteveSoCal is shipping me 20.  I’ve also got a line on a few N95s but my daughter said their school is supplying them four more apiece from their janitorial supplies.  So again thank you for all you’ve done.  If you’ve already bought them I’ll reimburse you.  I still want the Australian mask as we discussed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Carl,

 

Your daughter should have 30 on Monday, forget the shipping.     I am a pay if forward kind a guy!

 

Steve

Steve,

You don’t know how much this means to them and to me.  Thank you so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Roger,

Thanks.  I’m good on covers.  SteveSoCal is shipping me 20.  I’ve also got a line on a few N95s but my daughter said their school is supplying them four more apiece from their janitorial supplies.  So again thank you for all you’ve done.  If you’ve already bought them I’ll reimburse you.  I still want the Australian mask as we discussed.

They were out of the 95's

Ausi mask was shipped by Purolator.  It may be handed to another Courier at the Border.  You could get a tracking number by text or e-mail.

Also sent a message off to the manufacturer for info.

I store the 95's in Margarine containers and label the lid  with a felt pen.  Label the mask as well.

Edited by rdickinson
more info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids school is delivering lunches. They run the bus route and show up pretty much the same time every day. We have to provide a box on the porch to put it in. So there is no contact. Then when they leave one of the boys goes out and gets it.

A system like that may work for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

My kids school is delivering lunches. They run the bus route and show up pretty much the same time every day. We have to provide a box on the porch to put it in. So there is no contact. Then when they leave one of the boys goes out and gets it.

A system like that may work for them.

Unfortunately most of these kids live in government subsidized apts.  They were setting up outside the office of these apartments and providing services from there. I have discussed setting up a “blue” line with tape 10-12 feet from their tables and then having only one member in full PPE dispense the bags to a second table that the folks could pick up so no touching occurs.  They also have changed to doing porch drops as you say.  Here’s the sad part, she teaches elementary school age.  The kids see their teachers and want hugs or some type of contact.  It frightens them to see their beloved teachers in full PPE.  The teachers know contact is impossible so they’re going to work on alternatives, maybe a special dance or song or someway to individualize the encounter.  As adults, we know what is required.  What kids don’t understand is frightening.  Hope this ends soon but not leveling yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Suite Success, 

I commend you for what you are doing and esp for what your daugther/coworkers are doing.  That is the spirit that will preserve us.  The examples from the top are not coming across as helpful as they should be.  The "ME" mentality is too undermining.

I wish I could help more than this but I am in construction, and as I have said before, I work on loading dock equipment in warehouses.  This has been deemed necessary services, and so we are doing what we can to keep distribution centers operating.  I am over 60 and have the concern for my own well-being and use common sense approaches to getting my work done.  N95s are on the truck but are often used over and over again.  Its better than nothing.  I hope!

This too shall pass but we will never be the same.

My wife was a school bus driver for special needs students, and so I understand how they NEED hugs and comfort through touching.  She caught every cold and flu that was around, but this one needs special attention.  She isnt working anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Suite Success, 

I commend you for what you are doing and esp for what your daugther/coworkers are doing.  That is the spirit that will preserve us.  The examples from the top are not coming across as helpful as they should be.  The "ME" mentality is too undermining.

I wish I could help more than this but I am in construction, and as I have said before, I work on loading dock equipment in warehouses.  This has been deemed necessary services, and so we are doing what we can to keep distribution centers operating.  I am over 60 and have the concern for my own well-being and use common sense approaches to getting my work done.  N95s are on the truck but are often used over and over again.  Its better than nothing.  I hope!

This too shall pass but we will never be the same.

My wife was a school bus driver for special needs students, and so I understand how they NEED hugs and comfort through touching.  She caught every cold and flu that was around, but this one needs special attention.  She isnt working anymore.

Please stay safe and thank you for placing yourself in harms way.  So many are in the trenches and dodging invisible bullets as we speak.  I try not to worry about my kids and grandkids as much as I do but anyone who has children knows you can’t stop no matter their age.  Where I live in East Tennessee is beginning the steep upslope of the outbreak so the next few weeks will tell the tale here.  I trust in God to lead us through but I also trust in my fellow man to be the instrument of that journey.  Somehow we got complacent and forgot nature is still in charge.  BTW hug your wife and say thank you for me because of what she did and also she has to be worrying about your health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the Lysol type spray products are getting hard to find, To reuse/clean the cotton type masks or the polyester style, you could autoclave them like the old medical folks did.  Low pressure +steam, for x minutes will break down virus.  You might need to get creative to make a steam chamber that could stay hot enough long enough to do the job...... wonder if an insta-pot would work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Because the Lysol type spray products are getting hard to find, To reuse/clean the cotton type masks or the polyester style, you could autoclave them like the old medical folks did.  Low pressure +steam, for x minutes will break down virus.  You might need to get creative to make a steam chamber that could stay hot enough long enough to do the job...... wonder if an insta-pot would work?

Hmmm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've read, 70% alcohol or bleach will work but there may be a residual smell or taste plus I don't know if hospitals want to bother.

I can get a clone of these Wildland fire masks but the outfit has all his future production spoken for so even the filters would not be available.

If a suitable filter material could be found, I can get the rest of the mask made with off the shelf material and not have to worry about getting price gouged. 

The original price on these FF masks was 56, then 76, now 96. can$.  Production is limited to 20,000 a week and he can't do more.  I've had multiple discussions with him.  His world ends at the Equator.

So, if a suitable filter can be found, production could work up to 100k a week and prices would be a LOT less with filters being readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

insta-pot would work?

Great idea.  I am currently using On Guard essential oil, diffused into and onto the mask surfaces then let it dry out.  Its what I have and can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2020 at 12:50 PM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Because the Lysol type spray products are getting hard to find, To reuse/clean the cotton type masks or the polyester style, you could autoclave them like the old medical folks did.  Low pressure +steam, for x minutes will break down virus.  You might need to get creative to make a steam chamber that could stay hot enough long enough to do the job...... wonder if an insta-pot would work?

About 25 years ago had a chance to buy a little autoclave for dental instruments that was being replaced.  Like so many things had no use for it at the time.  I should have been like one of our HDTers who bought an old school house in Ohio and renovated it to live in.  He buys up lots of “stuff” because it might be useful in the future.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim, Following up on your thoughts.

Autoclaves and Dry Heat Sterilizers
Autoclaves sterilize tools by using high levels of heat and pressure. They kill all forms of microbial life, such as bacteria, viruses, and even spores. Typically, autoclaves run at a temperature of 270 degrees Fahrenheit for thirty (30) minutes.

US FDA registered dry heat sterilizers sterilize by using high levels of dry heat. Just like autoclaves, dry heat sterilizers kill all forms of microbial life, such as bacteria, viruses, and spores. Because they sterilize by using heat alone, dry heat sterilizers need more time to sterilize  than autoclaves. Due to these high temperatures, dry heat sterilizers may not be appropriate for all multi-use tools, such as those with plastic or rubber parts. You must operate your dry heat sterilizer at 340 degrees Fahrenheit for sixty (60) minutes in order to sterilize tools. For more information in both English and Vietnamese about how to correctly operate a dry heat sterilizer, 

Contrary to popular belief, UV boxes do not sterilize tools. A UV box will only keep tools clean if they have already been properly sterilized prior to being stored inside the UV box. uv%20light%20box.png

Bacteria and other organisms can still grow on tools that were not properly sterilized when the tools are placed in a UV box. Tools do not become sterilized through placement in a UV box. Instead, use can cause the unintentional spread of infections from client to client. Because of these risks, the City of Boston and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have banned the use of UV boxes. Boston requires the use of autoclaves and/or US FDA registered dry heat sterilizers, which sterilize multi-use tools when usEd.

WORD OF CAUTION!  Masks are paper products and could catch fire in an autoclave or similar instrument.

So if you were relegated to using an Instapot would definitely set up outdoors.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

RVAir The cleanest air in RVing!

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.

The Rvers- Now Streaming

AGS Now Hiring

RV Pet Safety

RVTravel.com Logo



×
×
  • Create New...