Meeting the challenge of COVID-19

docj

If this post is considered too commercial to post on this forum, the moderators are free to remove it.  However, there is no intent on my part to try to sell products to forum members. 

School systems all across the continent are currently wrestling with the problems created by thousands of school children being out of school for, potentially, the remainder of this school year or even longer. Quite a few schools systems are rolling out online programs for their students but many children throughout the country don't have reliable high speed internet at home. Students can't make use of online programs if they can't get online.

Unknown to most of you, WiFiRanger already has a line of business installing mobile hotspots on school buses. We have as customers, both Thomas and Bluebird, the primary manufacturers of US school buses. Until now this business has focused on installations on newly built buses.

However, within the past couple of weeks we've been inundated by inquiries from school systems all over the country. Although each has its own approach, the general proposition is to put WiFiRangers on the roofs of school buses that can be positioned as fixed internet hotspots throughout a school district. In fact, one of our potential customers has even designed a website which would direct students to the "bus hotspot" nearest their home.

It's a fantastic feeling to be part of our country's fight against this virus. If anyone reading this knows someone in a school system that might be interested, please refer them to information about our school bus products: WiFiRanger school bus solutions

If anyone has questions about this effort feel free to post them or to send them to be via PM.

Joel (AKA docj)

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks for posting this.  I been volunteering with Paccar Foundation a bit while we're all layed off and been trying to think of ways this could help non-school bus?  Maybe get a box of them and put them on some currently unused test/show trucks and park them behind the fence of each water tower in town?  I'm a bit afraid of causing a crowd of un-insureds infected by a super-spreader hanging around my truck though.  There are so many of the temp free XFinity wifis (all the business units?) around town that maybe a guy could park just right where you could sling it into a low income housing complex or something?

I dunno, never used one, don't know much about them, and am just the guy that makes a bracket, hangs it on a truck, and plugs it in.  Anybody have any ideas where this could help in town non-school bus?  I'll propose it...

The systems being considered are completely self-contained and would connect to the internet via the cellular network and then establish a WiFi network in their vicinity.  So there's no need to have to "sling" a connection anywhere.  Furthermore the folks in the several states that are considering them are thinking of running it on the cellular FirstNet which is the Congressionally-mandated first responder "subset" of the cellular system.  That would ensure that the cellular connection would be a solid, high speed one.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

On 3/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, docj said:

the general proposition is to put WiFiRangers on the roofs of school buses that can be positioned as fixed internet hotspots throughout a school district.

This is so cool! I hope it can be implemented well.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

What a great idea to help those kids get through this . I don't want to through a damp rag on your idea, but something else to consider in with all the extra traffic on the WiFi system, our Wifi provider (Valley Electric) has had to increase the band width because of all the extra traffic on their system. Hope you still get it off the ground.

21 hours ago, Captain Happy said:

What a great idea to help those kids get through this . I don't want to through a damp rag on your idea, but something else to consider in with all the extra traffic on the WiFi system, our Wifi provider (Valley Electric) has had to increase the band width because of all the extra traffic on their system. Hope you still get it off the ground.

At least in the one State where we are closest to a contract, the systems will run on FirstNet which is the special first-responder network that exist all over the country.  Not everyone knows that it exists, in fact, now that I've told you we may have to "terminate" you!  😁

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador