chiefneon

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cactus said:

Barb

Off topic but hope Dave is doing well

I was answering Big Rick’s question.  It is very much on-topic.  Social distancing not only saves peoples lives, but saves us all money.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

13 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

We pay increased hospital costs for a lot of reasons, illegals, government funding for abortion

With all due respect some of the higher costs come from emergency care for those who don't have insurance and are too poor to pay, regardless of whether or not they are documented or not. In south TX the documented poor are far more numerous than the undocumented. I work at a free medical clinic that serves anyone; >90% of our patients are documented.

Add to that the fact the Congress specifically refuses to let Medicare negotiate pharmaceutical prices with the drug companies for Part D plans.

Add to that the fact that the very fact that we have a profit-incentivized health care system means that we have to build in a profit margin.

FWIW federal funding for abortion (except to save the life of the mother) has been forbidden under the Hyde Amendment since 1976.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, docj said:

With all due respect some of the higher costs come from emergency care for those who don't have insurance and are too poor to pay, regardless of whether or not they are documented or not. In south TX the documented poor are far more numerous than the undocumented. I work at a free medical clinic that serves anyone; >90% of our patients are documented.

Add to that the fact the Congress specifically refuses to let Medicare negotiate pharmaceutical prices with the drug companies for Part D plans.

Add to that the fact that the very fact that we have a profit-incentivized health care system means that we have to build in a profit margin.

FWIW federal funding for abortion (except to save the life of the mother) has been forbidden under the Hyde Amendment since 1976.

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

5 hours ago, docj said:

I work at a free medical clinic that serves anyone; >90% of our patients are documented.

Let me add that in the current situation it is in all of our best interest to stop this virus from infecting anyone who is in the country, no matter what their legal status may be. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 3/27/2020 at 12:45 PM, Barbaraok said:

Except the annexation agreement went after the window after Texas seceded and joined the CSA.   When they lost, they became like any other state, under federal jurisdiction.  Yes, I know there is always some legislator who introduces a bill to break up the state or to withdraw, but it is all meaningless now.  Texas (like California) could only break up if (1) a majority of the voters in the state agreed and (2) both houses of Congress agreed.   

Dont know anything about California. I did live in Texas for 20 years and find the history  very interesting . My company was involved in the State capital expansion project back in the 90's, I spent a lot of time in Austin while that was going on and a few  discussions while raising long necks of lone star and pearl brought up varying view points on the subject of the annexation and civil war.

One of the outcomes of the civil war,as indicated in the US constitution, was that no state can decide for itself to secede from the union, that it takes an act of US congress to add a state, change a states or territories borders or expel a state from the union. As such, Texas and the other states that declared they seceded wasnt approved by congress, there fore legally they actually never left the union, reference the US supreme court in the Texas VS White case of 1869.

Also if the annexation agreement went out the window, then Texas would revert back to a republic as it was before the annexation agreement which of course didnt happen as they are still the Lone Start State

And since the US congress already ratified and approved the annexation agreement, which indicates that Texas can split into 5 states, they dont need to approve it again so Texas still has the right to split into 5 states and yes that would have to be approved by the voters in the State of Texas

Now i personally dont think it will ever happen, surely it would be challenged at the highest levels of government, but would make for  great theater.

Of course i never thought the world would be brought to a standstill by a virus either so WTF do i know?

Everyone stay safe!

Edited by palmeris

On 3/29/2020 at 7:24 PM, Kirk W said:

Let me add that in the current situation it is in all of our best interest to stop this virus from infecting anyone who is in the country, no matter what their legal status may be. 

Well said, Kirk.

Legal (?)  Status: Includes those "quarantined" in cages - and by now happy to return from whence they came!  They weren't included in...... "Everybody that wants to be tested, can be tested" - like the rest of us.

Guess "The Buck" doesn't stop where it used to !!

New sign =   "The Buck Passed Here"

But we should be nice and cut the politicians some slack.....after all one state governor didn't know until a few days ago the virus could be spread by those who are asymptomatic.

Toss the residents of that state a couple rolls of paper towels (to  make masks) and everything will be OK !!

Edited by Pappy Yokum