Domicile....

Hi,

Are TX, FLA, SD the ONLY states that allow remote domiciling? While I'm leaning towards Texas being an AZ resident who just paid registrations and have a business here it would be simpler to keep AZ but I know of no Escapees like mailbox service that allows banking, acts as a physical address....

I don't want to draw attention to myself by flip flopping around and keeping AZ would simply register as a change of address....I think...

Is there as way to make any state a domicile state without having an actual residence?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, aztex said:

Are TX, FLA, SD the ONLY states that allow remote domiciling?

They are not the only states that allow the use of a mail service for registering vehicles, keeping a driver's license, voting, etc. but there are no specific things which create your domicile although those are key items. If you have not done so, you need to read some of the articles published by Escapees to explain what it is. For most people the listed things are the most important parts. What is unique about those three states is the fact that they are the only ones that do the items listed and do not have any state income tax. I have never seen a listing of all states to accept the use of mail service addresses for such things, but I do know that the list would be pretty short. Unless things have changed, both TN and NV also accept a mail service address. 

9 hours ago, aztex said:

Is there as way to make any state a domicile state without having an actual residence?

Absolutely! Owning real estate has nothing to do with domicile. Domicile is a legal term that is generally determined by the courts if a dispute should arise. The dictionaries say that it is where you live, or where you plan to return if/when you travel. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 minutes ago, aztex said:

Well I understand the Escapees mail service IS....Those in TX, FLA and SD.

You are correct, although there are some financial institutions that have been reluctant to deal with the federal laws that require either a permanent, physical address or an alternative address of some close relative who will always know where you are. Here in TX and especially in Livingston most of them do know the difference and have learned how to deal with the issue. The statement that no mail service is good for banking is not correct, even though a few investment firms have been very reluctant to use the alternative address as provided by current law. 

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

They are not the only states that allow the use of a mail service for registering vehicles, keeping a driver's license, voting, etc. but there are no specific things which create your domicile although those are key items. If you have not done so, you need to read some of the articles published by Escapees to explain what it is. For most people the listed things are the most important parts. What is unique about those three states is the fact that they are the only ones that do the items listed and do not have any state income tax. I have never seen a listing of all states to accept the use of mail service addresses for such things, but I do know that the list would be pretty short. Unless things have changed, both TN and NV also accept a mail service address. 

Absolutely! Owning real estate has nothing to do with domicile. Domicile is a legal term that is generally determined by the courts if a dispute should arise. The dictionaries say that it is where you live, or where you plan to return if/when you travel. 

I'm a renter so once I move out of current place on June 1 I'll have to have something....Like I said I'd just as soon keep it in AZ for now but it doesn't look like there's a good option for mail service that my bank allows.

Current events may make the Texas option tricky that soon too if I can't get out there to set it up. I know I can do a lot via the mail but seems being present assures accuracy. 

I wonder why more states don't take this free income option? AZ would be prime as so many CA residents would shift over! Even with relatively high fees nothing compared to CA!

You can retain your AZ Domicile if you can get an address there and still use a mail forwarding service in TX without changing your Domicile to TX. That way you can travel and still get your mail. You would have to keep your AZ drivers license and registration and insurance using the AZ address and do all banking using the AZ address but can have all your statements sent to your TX mail forwarding address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

You are correct, although there are some financial institutions that have been reluctant to deal with the federal laws that require either a permanent, physical address or an alternative address of some close relative who will always know where you are. Here in TX and especially in Livingston most of them do know the difference and have learned how to deal with the issue. The statement that no mail service is good for banking is not correct, even though a few investment firms have been very reluctant to use the alternative address as provided by current law. 

That is a little confusing for new people to the topic.  The federal "know you customer" rules, that they must follow, will not allow for only a mail service address being used as mailing and physical addresses. Yes, you can use a mail service address for your mailing address but must also provide a 2nd real physical address, typically a next of kin address.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

6 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

That is a little confusing for new people to the topic.  The federal "know you customer" rules, that they must follow, will not allow for only a mail service address being used as mailing and physical addresses. Yes, you can use a mail service address for your mailing address but must also provide a 2nd real physical address, typically a next of kin address.

The Credit Union that I've used for decades, as well as the investment service that I've used for over ten years (Vanguard) have no issue with using my SKP's address as the sole address that they have on file for me. I varies greatly from institution to institution. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

The Credit Union that I've used for decades, as well as the investment service that I've used for over ten years (Vanguard) have no issue with using my SKP's address as the sole address that they have on file for me. I varies greatly from institution to institution. 

The fact that you are an existing customer using the same address for 10 years means they have not reviewed your account under the new guidelines.  It does not mean they will not enforce the rules in the future if they are forced to do an audit. 

Anybody opening a new account will have problems unless they are prepared with an physical address. People changing address to a mail service are also having problems and I've read many reports of locked or threats to lock accounts until a physical address is provided.

the below is from: https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/examinations/bsa/ffiec_cip.pdf

For an individual: a residential or business street address, or if the individual does not have such an address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual, or a description of the customer’s physical location. For a “person” other than an individual (such as a corporation, partnership, or trust): a principal place of business, local office, or other physical location.

47 minutes ago, filthy-beast said:

The fact that you are an existing customer using the same address for 10 years means they have not reviewed your account under the new guidelines.  It does not mean they will not enforce the rules in the future if they are forced to do an audit. 

Anybody opening a new account will have problems unless they are prepared with an physical address. People changing address to a mail service are also having problems and I've read many reports of locked or threats to lock accounts until a physical address is provided.

the below is from: https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/examinations/bsa/ffiec_cip.pdf

For an individual: a residential or business street address, or if the individual does not have such an address, an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number, the residential or business street address of next of kin or of another contact individual, or a description of the customer’s physical location. For a “person” other than an individual (such as a corporation, partnership, or trust): a principal place of business, local office, or other physical location.

Sure BUT Escapees provides a PHYSICAL address....as you say in your post....Should not be a problem..... Without full information yet my bank said it shouldn't be an issue...

This applies only the SKP addresses. I'm not sure how it works.

2 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

I've seen references to folks having problems as well, but at the same time many (most?) people with an SKP's address continue to have no issues opening bank or brokerage accounts. Again, it seems to depend on the entity that you are dealing with.  

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Sometimes, their software will not let you put on the address line,,,,  123 Rainbow Dr., #12345.  Just list it on the second line as Apt, 12345 and all are happy.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

It is not a real physical address. You signed and had notarized a form that gives the post office permission to delivery your mail to a third party mail forwarder. That data is in their database that anybody can search, if they have paid for the service, to see that it is a mail forwarder address and not one that USPS directly delivers too.

Your address with a forwarder is not a USPS delivery point. This why you cannot file a change of address with the post office for your mail forwarder address, they don't track and sort down to your mail box number. The sorting is done by the forwarder and they must forward your mail if you change addresses, that is why many have deposit to cover forwarding mail after you quit.

Edited by filthy-beast

Use a mail forwarder as physical address with financial institutions if you want. Will you have problems, maybe now, maybe in the future, maybe never. Do some research, decide on the risk you want to take.  All of my accounts will have a next of kin on file as well as my mailing address.

10 hours ago, filthy-beast said:

Yes it's confusing because you are contradicting everything the SKP's and lawyers have told me.

I have found NOTHING about having to have a second real physical address.

I think you're misreading the FDIC document. Your link and quote is found under the heading: Customer Verification. NOT customer ADDRESS verification! The bank simply has to identify YOU not you actual residence! Once they have YOU as in SS#, DL, Voter Reg, Bank Accounts I don't think they care too much about where YOU are. They have red flagged typical UPS mail boxes more out of the database that has them zoned non residential despite having a physical address. They KNOW you can't live there.

In fact the entire FDIC document you provided deals exclusively with NEW accounts!

As the one who initiated this thread I did not ask about opening new accounts. I don't recall that being brought up except by you. THIS is why it's confusing.....

For what it's worth I ran a scenario past my bank saying that, and much of this is true, I will be moving out of my house and traveling this summer on an business tour. I want to get the SKP address and wait and see where I end up in ~6 months when tour is over. They said "no problem". An insistence of a physical address did not come up in their response to me.

Back to my initial question was simply are there other states that allow the SKP type physical mail box or what ever it is? Specifically AZ. This appears to be a state law issue.....

There are similar mail forwarders in many/most states. Here's one that has addresses in several AZ cities as well as many other states: 

https://www.postscanmail.com/locations/az.html

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

9 hours ago, aztex said:

Back to my initial question was simply are there other states that allow the SKP type physical mail box or what ever it is? Specifically AZ. This appears to be a state law issue.....

It is that and in most, if not all states you have to deal with a long string of laws because they do not define what makes you a resident and most do not ever use the term domicile in any of those laws. For example, here in TX there is a law about registering your automobile, another for your driving license, another for voting, another for fishing & hunting licenses, and so on. None of those laws ever uses the term domicile and all say resident. That is pretty typical.