Is Good Sam Club closing?

Kirk W

I am only a member for the 10% camp ground discount. I usually stay a week or a month and rarely get the discount so won’t miss much. Years ago I would attend their rally’s but haven’t been to one in several years. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Good Sam has always been a marketing tool since it was founded by publisher Art Rouse to promote Trailer Life Magazine and their new telephone book size campground directory.  RV parks were approached by roving commission based sales teams and were only in the book if they agreed to offer the Good Sam discount and purchase at least a basic listing ($300 a year according to the owner of an RV park where I lived for a while) or spent up to several thousand dollars for an actual advertisment.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I never considered Good Sam to be anything other than a business enterprise.  And while Camping World was a fun place to pop into once in a while, I haven't been there in years. Frankly, I look at other RV related businesses, including (gasp) SKP's the same way.  They offer some useful services (for a price) and if they deliver what I want/need, I am happy to pay the price.  If not, I'll take my money elsewhere. The club and rally aspects of organizations has never been a driver for us. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

We only stop at CW when we need something on the road, I wanted some magnetic catches this last summer for example. Otherwise it's Amazon, Dyers or eTrailer. We used to buy their camping directory but the computer/phones have eliminated that. Otherwise their prices are high and driving to a store is a pain in the rear.

I never even knew they had them, or maybe never paid attention to their social groups. I'm not any sort of joiner and going to the Escapade this coming June will be an outlier for me. Assuming it doesn't get canceled.

Edited by agesilaus

It is just a article filled with opinions.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Howdy!

My life membership hasn’t been worth two dead flies since Marcus decided he didn’t want President Trump supporters shopping there.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Just now, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

My life membership hasn’t been worth two dead flies since Marcus decided he didn’t want President Trump supporters shopping there.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

Evidently, you must have just taken someone else's word for what Lemonis actuallysaid. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/marcus-lemonis-if-youre-ok-with-what-trump-said-dont-shop-at-my-business.html

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

2 hours ago, pjstough said:

If you are a Marcus Lemonis, Camping World, Gander Outdoors, Good Sam hater, RV Travel is an excellent source of information!

I agree, with a qualification. (questionable information)  The writers never cite a reference or their source, which make it opinions, not fact.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I actually canceled my paid subscription to RV Travel as Chuck seems obsessed with the demise of CW, he seems to pander to partisan commenters who despise CW based on a collective political agenda rather than objective business critiques.  I can tell you that it seems odd that folks who benefit from a nationwide resource want to put it out of business. I have personally been well served by various CW locations when needing emergency service on my motorhome including getting my generator back in operating condition within 24 hours of calling for an appointment allowing me to arrive at my next destination only slightly late. Of course I've been able to easily pick up parts, accessories and supplies as needed no matter where I roam as long as I can find a CW along the route. No matter how many times I've seen the incorrect narrative of Marcus Lemonis "disrespcting" President Trump (who insults enemies, friends, aides and even war heroes daily!) the rabid hatred of CW continues without critical thinking.  With the potential collapse of the RV industry and many dealers likely to disappear it makes no sense to me to wish for a valuable resource to go out of business.

I guess I don't understand all the questioning.  We've never gone to rallies. We did buy some things from Camping World when we first began.  We bought the camping directories and we used the 10% discount a few times.

The stated comment was.....  "But what surprised and dismayed many was this line: “To keep you and your family safe, as well as continuing to follow the CDC guidelines, the difficult decision has been made to pause the Good Sam State/Provincial Director program, effective immediately.”

The gist of it was because of the coronavirus.

As far as changing the logo.... the other one really needed an update.  Personally, I think the Escapees one does also.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, pjstough said:

Virtually all negative comments on here about Good Sam are because a lot of people dont like Marcus Lemonis.

That is a blanket statement, such as you sometimes protest in other subjects. I dropped out of Good Sam well before he bought the organization and I stopped getting RVservice from Camping World due to a very bad experience, about the time that he took over. I have gradually stopped shopping there due to the changes he has implemented and politics has nothing to do with my opinion of the company. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

18 hours ago, pjstough said:

Virtually all negative comments on here about Good Sam are because a lot of people dont like Marcus Lemonis.

Howdy!

Not really. I had experiences with Good Sam that where not good. The worst was after having GS ERS for year I had a break down on a trip to Alaska. We where in the Yukon no phone service and we’re tow to Bever Creek, Yukon by RCMP and no public service available. The first chance I had I called GS I was denied coverage because I had not called them. We need to be towed to Anchorage., Alaska for repairs and that was denied also. Cost us a $2,000.00 towing bill. We dropped GS ERS now have CN. But every chance I got I advised other for years regarding our issue we encounter with GS. One day years later,  I got a call for GS he identified him self as Marcus Lemonis. He wanted to know what he could do to make me happy and stop the remarks I was posting on the GS forum. Of course my response was to reimburse me the $2,000.00. He said he could not do that without the receipts which I no long had seeing that it had been a few years. So he gave me a Life Membership to GS which is a fraction of what the towing bill was. I have been RVing long before Marcus acquired GS. I didn’t care for it much George or now. I even canceled our membership when we started fulltiming over fourteen years ago because they refused to stop with all the junk mail after may request. As fulltimers we had to pay for it to be forwarded. I still don’t care for GS or especially Camping World. We purchased our last RV for CW because they are nation wide thinking that would be a bonus as fulltimers. That turned out to be a very negative and another long story. So it not just politics that I don’t like about Marcus, GS or CW.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

I love the Good Sam Club the same as I love the Escapee Club.

I've been a chapter officer and have been active at the state level.  I've attended probably over 75 Good Sam Club events.  I've made many great friends through both clubs.  Unfortunately the corporation that owns the club, Camping World, Gander RV, and many other entities has badly tarnished the name of the Good Sam Club.

With almost no beneficial support from the corporation, the only thing holding the Good Sam Club together was the state and local organizations.  Marcus Lemonis long ago showed his disdain for the club when he said it was one of several "marketing tools".

I fear this may be the end of the club as being of any benefit to the members.

2018 Keystone Cougar

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 DRW D/A

1 hour ago, chiefneon said:

Howdy!

Not really. I had experiences with Good Sam that where not good. The worst was after having GS ERS for year I had a break down on a trip to Alaska. We where in the Yukon no phone service and we’re tow to Bever Creek, Yukon by RCMP and no public service available. The first chance I had I called GS I was denied coverage because I had not called them. We need to be towed to Anchorage., Alaska for repairs and that was denied also. Cost us a $2,000.00 towing bill. We dropped GS ERS now have CN. But every chance I got I advised other for years regarding our issue we encounter with GS. One day years later,  I got a call for GS he identified him self as Marcus Lemonis. He wanted to know what he could do to make me happy and stop the remarks I was posting on the GS forum. Of course my response was to reimburse me the $2,000.00. He said he could not do that without the receipts which I no long had seeing that it had been a few years. So he gave me a Life Membership to GS which is a fraction of what the towing bill was. I have been RVing long before Marcus acquired GS. I didn’t care for it much George or now. I even canceled our membership when we started fulltiming over fourteen years ago because they refused to stop with all the junk mail after may request. As fulltimers we had to pay for it to be forwarded. I still don’t care for GS or especially Camping World. We purchased our last RV for CW because they are nation wide thinking that would be a bonus as fulltimers. That turned out to be a very negative and another long story. So it not just politics that I don’t like about Marcus, GS or CW.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

He did offer to reimburse your $2K though, and the call is proof he listens/reads comments. If you paid by CC, they will still have records of the charge.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Customer1 said:

I've been a chapter officer and have been active at the state level.  I've attended probably over 75 Good Sam Club events.

Thank you for joining in the thread! I suspect that you have more real knowledge of what is really happening than do any of us. I was never really active in he club side, even though we were members for about 10 years and we did visit several outings with different chapters and never found one that we were a good fit. Since the topic was the Good Sam Club and not the retail complex, I would like to hear more about the changes in the club. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 3/23/2020 at 10:34 PM, pjstough said:

Nah I don't like them because they suck. They have built a culture of I don't give a crap about you because there's another person coming in the door behind you.

It's a fact more people post negative comments about a business then positive ones. CW has A LOT of negative ones.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

The major problem is that many locations are franchise and don’t have trained help, especially in the service department. Some locations are family run and have excellent service, but they are few. Most service technicians who are under paid by CW learn on the job and then go elsewhere for more pay. I would hesitate tho have any service done there. The other problem is that at most locations the RV inventory is predominantly the lower end of the spectrum at top dollar prices with no after sales support. About the only reason I would go to a CW is to buy something that is on sale like a chair or sewer hose. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I am always amused to remember one RVer saying something like she liked getting work done at Camping World because there is always another one down the road to fix whatever isn't yet fixed.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The major problem is that many locations are franchise and don’t have trained help, especially in the service department. Some locations are family run and have excellent service, but they are few. Most service technicians who are under paid by CW learn on the job and then go elsewhere for more pay. I would hesitate tho have any service done there. The other problem is that at most locations the RV inventory is predominantly the lower end of the spectrum at top dollar prices with no after sales support. About the only reason I would go to a CW is to buy something that is on sale like a chair or sewer hose. 

I know of three CW within 60 miles of me which were family run and bought out over the past 5 years. The reputations of all three has dropped a bunch.  In fact, we were at the CW just south of Indianapolis looking at a used Newmar like the one we now own, and after a horrible experience with a jerk of a sales person, were sitting in the truck talking about going to another dealer.  An older gentleman stopped by and related that he'd bought several rv's from the former owners, but he would never be back because of the poor treatment he'd just received.

We have GS roadside, and have tried to use it once, north of Destruction Bay, Yukon.  My wife mistakenly said our semi truck/tow vehicle was broke down and that was the end of the conversation.  They refuse to listen as she explained it was registered as a mh towing a fifth wheel.  We found a mechanic who advised me where to get parts (240 miles away) , we fixed it ourselves and continued our trip.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net