Smart Car minimum bed length

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was curious to know what would be the minimum length for a bed for a Smart Car ( from divers side to passengers side ). Could 96" work ? Just trying to get ideas together.

Thanks for any input,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al, I know a few folks that have 96” bed widths with side mounted smart cars.  Works for them.  One factor to consider is the 106” long gen 2 and 3 smarts overhang a total of 10” on a 96” wide bed versus 4” on a 102” bed.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Al, that would be bed width.  Mine is 100" allowing for a 1" on each side for"fenders".  Depending on what type of chalk/tie down system you use, you may need more or you could go less.  My decision was based on not showing the car hanging over the bed too much like it would on a 96" deck.  Also, this way my truck is legal width.

Like Jim mentioned, the look would be a lot different from one to another.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Hi Al,

96” would work easily and after a quick measurement on mine I think 90 will work and still allow you to use wheel chocks.  Since the wheelbase is only about 74 inches anything over that can be made to work.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Our bed is not straight on the sides, 96" near the cab, and 101" at the fender area.  As Nigel stated, 96" is more than sufficient.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Hi Al,

96” would work easily and after a quick measurement on mine I think 90 will work and still allow you to use wheel chocks.  Since the wheelbase is only about 74 inches anything over that can be made to work.  

Nigel

Chocks can be extended.  The original car was 98" long, 2nd is 106" so I added a plate under and drilled, cut sloppy bolt holes.  Rear chocks stay put. 

sHgCZ5Cl.jpg

yJUt9CTl.jpg

53fkM7dl.jpg

I don't use the front chocks any more, the modified ratchet strap is quicker and I don't have to worry about bolts going in crossthreaded or a 'helper' messing things up.

kNaM9cvl.jpg

Vice grips were just on for final adjustments.  Loose end is normally wrapped around the belt.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the input. Things sound promising. Part of the plan is to use a single strap over every tire. I already have the straps and ratchets.

Thanks Roger for the pictures. Pictures are always a big help for me. A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Please keep the input coming.
Al

My bed is 101" wide. The builder wanted to make sure they did not get it out to the 102" max. My chocks and tie downs are all set in from the outside edges.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Alan,  If I remember correctly, you don't have a bed.  Consider using a 12" wide I-beam with about a 4" flange' laid flat, for each set of tires to run in.  Then you can mount the ratchet under the beam at each end.  We did this on Paul G's truck, but it never got finished..  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

25 minutes ago, rdickinson said:

Better than what?

We always had our basket straps to loosen somewhat. Not enough to hurt but i didn't like it. We started running strap thru wheel and choking strap to wheel then to ratchet. It tightens great this vway and stays tight. There is an entire post on this a while back

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

6 hours ago, rdickinson said:

I've been doing this 'Smart on the deck business' for 8 years and had no issues so far except for operator error.   I didn't see the post you referred to, so from my standpoint, that is your opinion. 

Not trying to be critical and if I came that way, sorry. I just find it easier, simpler and more secure.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We've also been hauling a smart for 8 years, not nearly as long as some.  We went through the spokes for a while.  After getting the over tire straps with the tread blocks, there's no going back.  

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Hi Everyone,

A little update on the bed of the truck. Right now the bed is on hold. Do to the order from the governor of Ohio wanting everyone to stay in place. I need to buy some more materials to keep going. But with the order I can wait for a little bit. It would be nice to keep going. The weather is getting nicer.

Al