Los Algodones

pinger

Today the best information will be from: https://www.cbp.gov/contact

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have seen on the news, which may or may not be true, that Mexico is requiring all US citizens to be tested before entry into Mexico. But I have also heard that it takes 2 to 4 days for test results. pinger, please report back if you do cross. Thanks. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Los Algodones is a special case.  The walk-in tourists are a huge cash cow for everyone involved and Mexico has an actual checkpoint south of town to screen people going further south, so I doubt Mexico will do anything to discourage the Algodones cross-border traffic.

Edited by Lou Schneider

2 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

pinger, have your friends check with the dentists in Algodnes before going. A friend was called by their dentist in Algodones canceling their appointment. Next month, who knows? If I hear anymore I'll post the info. Have a great day!

Thanks

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

26 minutes ago, bobsallyh said:

Pinger it was open today, Wed. There were folks going back and forth. But I think most dentists have shut down.

Many (if not all) dentists in So. CA have shut down - except for "emergency" dental work.  Many of the Algodones dentists are USA trained - and stay on top of what's going on with their counterparts (and dental schools) North of the border - and following their lead and/or advice.

Obviously - dental work requires patient and provider/s being in close proximity to each other.  (IMO) - No bueno.

• 2 weeks later...

My dentist in Los Algodones  is open only 1 day a week..She said the border is open from 6am-6pm and not very many people are there..She said call first if someone needs an appointment..Dr. Guadalupe Montoya Garcia..I have her phone # if someone wants it..

Edited by pinger
add on

us.navy.sere.patch.16.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yes, the border into Algodones is open. But only from 6 am until 2 pm. That started March 21 and they've extended that 6 am to 2pm restriction to June 21. The lines are really long for cars going back to the USA nowadays. But there's hardly any wait crossing into the USA for pedestrians. Most of the dentist offices and smaller pharmacies are closed but will open if you have an appointment. The two biggest pharmacies; Liquis and Tury's are open all day and evening. 

There is no Covid testing coming into Los Algodones. It's business as usual and Americans just stroll through like always. 

Mexicali and San Luis are open 24/7 but I know the wait times in San Luis have been really long for cars, sometimes as much 3 hours.

For some reason the official CBP website hasn't made note of the limited crossing times. But you can see the wait time end at 2pm on the "Border wait times" website when you search for the port of Andrade. https://bwt.cbp.gov/details/09250201/PED

A month ago the village was a ghost town. But in the past couple of weeks we've seen things returning to some normalcy with more Americans and Canadians walking around the center of town. If you plan on coming down make sure you get an appointment early or stay at one of the hotels here.  

Edited by Jawn

It was certainly worth it for me to have a wisdom tooth extracted in Mexico. I had it done February, just before this Covid-19 craziness hit. It was impacted pretty good. It took the doctor over a half hour to get it out. The total cost with a couple anesthetic injections, out the door (completo) was only $80.

Prescription drugs are so cheap there it's almost unbelievable. The cheapest I've found my albuterol inhalers here is $50 per inhaler at Walmart, as I don't have insurance coverage. A couple years ago when I had insurance my copay for it was $35. I recently got a pack of 10 inhalers there (an entire year's supply) for $17.95. That's only $1.80 each - same brand and packaging as here too! Plus there was no sales tax and no prescription required, so I saved the cost and hassle of a trip to the doctor and the technicality of renewing my subscription which hasn't changed for decades. That's a savings of over $500 a year on this one medicine alone. Another med I take cost 28 cents a pill there, and $4.20 a pill here - not a knock off, but the exact same brand, packaging and dosage of medication.

Then there's the tequila - 1/2 gallon of Jose Cuervo Gold is only $13.95 there and over $40 here, just as an example. 

I wasn't down, but this AM (Thursday) but it is reported that the $6.00 Indian parking lot is closed. Really don't know more but if I hear more will report. You can still park north along the shoulder of the road and walk, long, hot walk. You can also bike to the border from this point. If you were to do this, make sure you are not parked in the CHP "no parking zone". Your vehicle will be towed and you will need to make a generous payment to the policemen's Ball to reclaim the vehicle.

1 hour ago, bobsallyh said:

I wasn't down, but this AM (Thursday) but it is reported that the $6.00 Indian parking lot is closed. 

What do you mean by 'Indian' parking lot.  There's not a reservation there, is there?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

The public parking lot is owned by the Quechan Indian Tribe. They own it and maintain it. Hundreds of parking spaces and no such thing as a reservation. Commercial buses out of Phoenix use it for dental and med runs. Buses and RVs cost more to park.

Edited by bobsallyh