Motorhome Fire Palms RV Resort Yuma, AZ.

bobsallyh

This is the main reason I bought and installed a Fridge Defend/ARP unit. It prevents the refrigerator boiler from getting hot enough to damage anything.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

This is the main reason I bought and installed a Fridge Defend/ARP unit. It prevents the refrigerator boiler from getting hot enough to damage anything.

And that is the primary reason that I took the advice of Mark Nemeth and put one on our RV refrigerator. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, fly2low said:

That's the main reason I went with a residential fridge

The top five causes of house fires: https://www.thesilverlining.com/westbendcares/blog/five-common-appliances-that-cause-house-fires

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 minutes ago, dirtyboots said:

Thanks for the link.  Seemed a simple purchase until I looked at all the different models.  Is the basic that fits any fridge good enough or do you really need all the extras?  Thanks.

The basic Fridge Defend is adequate, I included an optional blower type fan since my OEM fans have stopped running. The cost of the new fan was much less than the work involved in pulling the fridge from the opening, replacing fans and controller, then replacing the fridge in the opening.

After installation I had to reduce the fridge cold setting, milk and other liquids were freezing. That was caused by the additional fan on the tubing pipe.

Edited by Ray,IN

6 hours ago, Kirk W said:

And that is the primary reason that I took the advice of Mark Nemeth and put one on our RV refrigerator. 

The ARP company owner, I forget his name, tried to persuade Dometic and Norcold to put the unit on all absorption  units they sell but was rejected.

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

The ARP company owner, I forget his name,

His name is Paul Unmack. I have known Paul for several years. He has done several seminars at Escapades on how RV refrigerators work and how to troubleshoot one. 

19 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The basic Fridge Defend is adequate, I included an optional blower type fan since my OEM fans have stopped running. The cost of the new fan was much less than the work involved in pulling the fridge from the opening, replacing fans and controller, then replacing the fridge in the opening.

After installation I had to reduce the fridge cold setting, milk and other liquids were freezing. That was caused by the additional fan on the tubing pipe.

Thank you.

I recall reading about this last year when RV'ing but never got around to studying it.

WHY doesn't Dometic have such a device installed in every fridge and if not it seems that they should be held liable for each and every RV fire when there is an issue and a cure?

12 hours ago, aztex said:

WHY doesn't Dometic have such a device installed in every fridge and if not it seems that they should be held liable for each and every RV fire when there is an issue and a cure?

The answer is probably that they don't want to pay Paul for what he has developed. The same is true for Norcold. I have spoken with Paul about this and even observed a conversation that he had with a Dometic representative at an Escapade. Paul does hold a patent on his device and has offered it to both companies.

52 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

The answer is probably that they don't want to pay Paul for what he has developed. The same is true for Norcold. I have spoken with Paul about this and even observed a conversation that he had with a Dometic representative at an Escapade. Paul does hold a patent on his device and has offered it to both companies.

A temperature activated switch doesn't sound too complicated. Imagine that...lives at risk and they're bickering over money! Where's Jonas Salk when ya need him!

We had that unit installed in our 5th wheel 3 years ago at the MOC fall rally . It is not all that expensive considering the damage a fire can do.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

5 hours ago, aztex said:

A temperature activated switch doesn't sound too complicated.

It would not be, if that was all that the device was. In fact, the safety additions by both companies amount to little more than that and they sometimes help. The ARP-RV device is far more. It has a temperature sensor on the boiler and another on the tubing up above and it monitors and tracks both and keeps a record that the owner can step through and read is they wish to see what is happening. When installed the device is allowed to monitor for a period of refrigerator operation and then is custom adjusted to the normal operating temperatures of the particular refrigerator that it is installed on. The one that I have also conols a fan in he hot air exit from the top of the refrigerator, The fan operates as needed and fan speed is adjusted based upon the temperatures inside. When temperatures get too high it removes power from the refrigerator, much like it would if turned off.

If you are interested, follow the link to learn more about the device.  After a 40 year career in electronics, I was happy to pay for his device and would not operate an RV type refrigerator without one. 

Edited by Kirk W

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

After a 40 year career in electronics, I was happy to pay for his device and would not operate an RV type refrigerator without one. 

By RV type refrigerator so you mean an absorption one? I had a compressor one made for RVs and wonder if that needed a fire suppressor as well.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

It would not be, if that was all that the device was. In fact, the safety additions by both companies amount to little more than that and they sometimes help. The ARP-RV device is far more. It has a temperature sensor on the boiler and another on the tubing up above and it monitors and tracks both and keeps a record that the owner can step through and read is they wish to see what is happening. When installed the device is allowed to monitor for a period of refrigerator operation and then is custom adjusted to the normal operating temperatures of the particular refrigerator that it is installed on. The one that I have also conols a fan in he hot air exit from the top of the refrigerator, The fan operates as needed and fan speed is adjusted based upon the temperatures inside. When temperatures get too high it removes power from the refrigerator, much like it would if turned off.

If you are interested, follow the link to learn more about the device.  After a 40 year career in electronics, I was happy to pay for his device and would not operate an RV type refrigerator without one. 

Thanks!

I found their web site which seems designed in 1990.... Impossible to figure out....